Breathable Wader Question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Breathable Wader Question

Postby SmokeyDog » Sat May 14, 2005 10:08 am

Any opinions on breathable or breathable hybrid waders? I was looking at the Cabela's Dry Plus Warrior 1000 - thoughts? Any other suggestions?
SmokeyDog
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat May 14, 2005 4:46 pm

I have the pair of breathable waders from ll.bean. I love mine, i have had them for two seasons and have used them on every hunt. I like the fact that they are comfortable to walk in and to have on all day. They are easy to put on and take off. I don't like the tight neoprene.

However, They are not warm at all. I only hunt in central california, we don't get the single digit temps here. I wear under armor, underneath my waders and my jacket. and it is sufficiant.

I am planning to go back to kansas (where i grew up) this winter to do some upland and waterfowl hunting. I have a feeling i will be purchasing a pair of neoprene waders for the trip. No matter how much i don't like them, I do like to be warm.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat May 14, 2005 4:49 pm

smokeydog, I just noticed that you are from bay area. Breathable waders will be fine. Unless you travel to other states, or hunt in Northern California (B zone). Last year for the season opener, in B zone, i hunted up by mount shasta. It was Oct. 9th and the temp was high twenties. I was a little cold that day. But that was before i bought the under armor. After that i was plenty warm.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby tstrong » Tue May 17, 2005 11:09 pm

I bought a pair of the warrior 1000 last season and love'em. I have not hunted in other states but have some fleese liners I had to use last year. I always sweated my A-- off in the neoprenes. They do not stretch like the neoprenes so get them a little big.
tstrong
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue May 17, 2005 11:11 pm

PS I live in SoCal and hunt mainly in Los Banos and Mendotta.
tstrong
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed May 18, 2005 7:38 am

I have a pair of breathable waders. They are the best waders I have ever owned. I can use them on the teal opener in September to the end of the seson just by layering.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed May 18, 2005 8:19 am

JJ, WHAT BRAND DID YOU BUY?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed May 18, 2005 12:31 pm

I have the Cabela's Dry-Plus.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby viper24k » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:29 pm

i have the dry plus waders also and i would go to nothing else..... it's like walking in the water naked.... their not bulky or anything
Theres nothin better than a moonlit sunrise over a spread of dekes

She Thinks My Dog is Sexy

Quackin, Whackin and Stackin....
viper24k
hunter

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:40 pm

Breathable waders only for me. My neoprenes stay off unless theres blackberry or gorse involved
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby Tightline » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:01 pm

I hunted in my breathables the last week of last season. We were wading in the river at -25. I was able to put on a pair of long johns and a pair of insulated jeans and be plenty comfortable. I have hodgemans with 600 gram thinsulate bootfoots and they have already out performed all of the different neoprenes that I have ever tried.
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum