Homemade marsh chair ideas?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Homemade marsh chair ideas?

Postby Brent » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:38 pm

Has anyone made themselves a chair that they can sit in with their waiders on?

I've thought of spray painting a lawn chair- but the verbal abuse I'd take when I lift that out of the canoe might not be worth it.

Has anyone rigged anything up?

Thanks!

Brent
Brent
hunter

Postby birdgunner04 » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:46 am

take a piece of pipe 3-4ft long (depending on depth of mud in your area +or- some) drive into the ground until stable. take another piece just larger in dia to slip over pipe#1 drill holes through both walls of pipe in a line up the pipe from about 2inches from bottom up a foot. pipe #2 should be about 2ft long. at end oppisite holes attach a piece of plywood 5x9in or to fit. now slip over pipe#1 and insert a pin to adjust height to fit you. you should be able to wiggle #1 enought to remove from ground when done. or Cabellas sells a tule seat that is the same thing
to all I toast (More ducks and better #$&%@)
birdgunner04
hunter

Postby travo » Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:52 pm

screw a couple of treesteps into a tree and just hook your suspenders over them. :laughing:
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:44 pm

If the water is froze you can just sit on the edge of the ice. Just make sure it is thick enough and don't get too comfortable. The other day I was a little too relaxed and suddenly heard a loud crack, next thing you know, I was sittin in the water. Luckily it was only about 2 feet deep and I didn't get too wet.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby forthshot » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:28 pm

get a milk crate that seems to work real well, just make sure you spray paint it first. they make 2 different sizes so you can change your depth.
forthshot
hunter

Postby fabes468 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:42 pm

try a bucket...u can but some of your decoys in it or something :cool:
FABES
fabes468
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:33 pm

Go ahead and try the spray painted lawn chair and don't mind the abuse,if It works you can tell your tormenters what to do with themselves :toofunny: After all,nothing ventured nothing gained :thumbsup: .
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbum13 » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:11 pm

i take my matress and a nice pillow. i also like to bring a generater for my electric blanket :getdown: why dont you just stand up
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:11 pm

5 gallon bucket :eek:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby tstrong » Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:24 am

Get some 3" pvc pipe and a cap for the bottom so the mud doesn't pack into the pipe and weigh 10 pounds at the end of the day. For the seat get a plastic flange that slips over the pipe and you screw a piece of plywood to and throw some padding and an old camo shirt over the pad and you got yourself a bonified huntin seat. 15 dollars. Mine even swivels. I used the top of my Evans Bucket seat I use for dove hunting.
tstrong
hunter

Postby fabes468 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:50 pm

AND U CAN ALWAYS USE A DEAD TREE LOG OR TAKE A FEW AND STACK THEM UP OR U COULD TRY SITTIN ON THE GROUND IF IT AINT TO COLD FOR UR BUZZUM :thumbsup:
fabes468
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:24 pm

I used to try and find anything to sit on. By about 10am your rear end hurts like hell. I used a seat towards the end of last year and will now always carry one. I always hunt marshes and the water's only around 18" deep. I use to kneel but after a few minutes in the mud you can't turn or get up fast enough. Give it a try you won't be dissapointed.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:35 am

If your hunting from a blind why not make a bench? drive 4 y branches in the ground so two at each end face one another then place a branch across each of these then cut and place poles across these vola you have a bench that only cost a few minutes of your time. Nothing to carry but an axe or small saw. :thumbsup:

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby thaner » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:31 pm

After two back surgeries in the last 6-years I do a lot to keep comfortable when hunting. I like the bucket. I use one of those extra tall ones you get commercial paint and other products in. You can load it up with extra stuff on the way out or ducks on the way back. When I get set up and organized I just fill it up part way with water and it won't pop up out of the water when you get up. I have one of those swivel bucket seats on it.

If we hunt a spot a lot and have the cover where a blind is not needed we sink a couple of 4x4’s in the mud and nail a 2x4 on each side horizontal and top it with a 2x8 or scraps of plywood. You can seat a couple of hunters and put some hooks on the post to hang your gun or extra stuff.

In the timber I like to use my trophy chair that straps on a tree. These things are great for timber hunting ducks, for deer hunting, and turkey hunting. You can even use it on an elevated platform or hang it just inches above the ground for turkey hunting. Use it for a camp chair if you’re next to a tree. Very useful and lightweight seat also quiet, no moving parts.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Re: Homemade marsh chair ideas?

Postby romniE1 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:06 pm

Nah, never did that in my life, but I do have some friends who paint furniture for outdoor use. If you happen to live in California, give them a call :-) But seriously, why don't just buy one that is already painted? :hammer:
romniE1
Newb

Postby aunt betty » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:53 pm

Who is going to be your "marsh-chairbearer"? Not me!
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Docholliday » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Regular old bar stool. Not the padded steal ones at the VFW, the wooden ones that are about 36" tall. They stick in the mud and the bars at the bottom keep them from sinking into the sheet. Garage sales are a good spot to pick up some. I spent the money on a marsh seat though, just to save the room.
Docholliday
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:49 am

Fifteen years ago, I bought a folding hunting seat to use in the marsh. It had 4 steel legs which made it easy to lengthen the legs 4" to keep my butt out of the water and to make it easier to stand up to shoot. Last year, after many repairs/reinforcements I finally retired it (it rusted like crazy). I purchased a new, aluminum-framed chair from Gander Mt. this summer and, learning from my experience with the original seat (and the modifications made to it over the years), turned it into a mad marsh seat.
It weighs about three pounds and is easily carried in my boat, then set up in the tules. It is used in conjuction with a holder made of wood that spikes into the mud in front of the seat that holds my blind bad and gun. Makes it real easy to put out decoys and have quick access to shells, snacks, binos, etc. while keeping it all out of the water.
The main advantage of the hunting seat is that it has a back on it. Sure is nice to be able to lean back against something during those long afternoons waiting for the evening flight. Believe me, it makes a difference.
mudpack
hunter

Re:

Postby open door » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:26 am

thaner wrote:After two back surgeries in the last 6-years I do a lot to keep comfortable when hunting. I like the bucket. I use one of those extra tall ones you get commercial paint and other products in. You can load it up with extra stuff on the way out or ducks on the way back. When I get set up and organized I just fill it up part way with water and it won't pop up out of the water when you get up. I have one of those swivel bucket seats on it.

If we hunt a spot a lot and have the cover where a blind is not needed we sink a couple of 4x4’s in the mud and nail a 2x4 on each side horizontal and top it with a 2x8 or scraps of plywood. You can seat a couple of hunters and put some hooks on the post to hang your gun or extra stuff.

In the timber I like to use my trophy chair that straps on a tree. These things are great for timber hunting ducks, for deer hunting, and turkey hunting. You can even use it on an elevated platform or hang it just inches above the ground for turkey hunting. Use it for a camp chair if you’re next to a tree. Very useful and lightweight seat also quiet, no moving parts.

Thaner - A "trophy chair that straps on a tree"? I'm very interested in this concept - got any pictures or know where I can get one?
open door
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:16 am

Here's a stool I made years ago and a later version just a couple of years ago. I added the velcro straps to keep ol' Mallard Muncher from dunking my shotgun while I put out the dekes. I called it my "Pamlico Point" Marsh Stool after the State Impoundment I used to hunt frequently in the 80's.

tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby alipinski397 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:49 am

$11 Folding stool from Walmart. We use them on the pontoon but also take them when we hunt the marsh. They fold flat and don't take up much space. They sink in the mud up to the crossbars.
Attachments
IMG_20101011_190001.jpg
alipinski397
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:17 pm

The cheap tripod stools are the best. You can buy them in Gander Mountain or Dunhams for $15. I doubt you can make them any cheaper. Get the seat that swivels. Setting them properly in the marsh may make a fixed seat out of proper position for the direction you want to face. The tripod may sink but usually doesn't. You can place a round piece of plywood under the legs to stop it from sinking. Drill a hole in the plywood and attach small diameter rope to pull the board out of the mud.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum