outerwear

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

outerwear

Postby duckaddictedchic » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:11 pm

Does anyone have an opinion as to the best coat to buy for the upcoming season? Last year was my first year of duck hunting and I am addicted. I borrowed everything last year becuase I didn't know if I wanted to make an investment into something I didn't like. I was wrong! So now I'm shopping around for the best coat. Last year I looked like the Michelin man but I was warm. All the guys had a good laugh at me ROLLING in and out of the boat. I would prefer the clothing for this year, to be warm and functional! Keep in mind, I freeze! Any suggestions?
duckaddictedchic
Newb

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:26 pm

I have a Herters 3-in-1 coat that is as warm as I could want and the liner zips out. I bought a fleece hooded jacket to pair with it for cool/not to cold and /or wet conditions. All in all it cost me around 100 bucks. (the herters coat is normally about 100 dollars but I had a cabelas coupon. The fleece was $30.

From waht I gather, you will be hunting out of a boat this year? If thats the case a wading jacket is not important. Think about what you want: Shell holders (my herters has it), waterproof, room for layering, a hood for nasty days...etc.

Whats your price range? you can go all out if you can fork over the dough, but you can do very well on a tight budget too.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby bullet » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:13 am

I hunt Cali and I'll start the season in the North were it gets quite cold and then go to central Cal about mid-season and finsh the year towards the Mexico border. Layering is the way to go for my type of hunting. I use everything from underarmour, to fleece, to a Maddog wading jacket. Keep your head , feet , and hands warm. You should be wearing some sort of life jacket while in the boat

I see that you're a Duck Addicted Chic(as in woman) Will you marry me :laughing:
bullet
hunter

Postby duckaddictedchic » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:18 am

As far as my price range, to be honest I would prefer to stay in a tight budget, but I am committed to spending what I need to spend. I never knew that hunting was so damned expensive. Sheeesh! And you are correct Carards, we hunted mostly out of a boat last year, and some stationary blinds. I have my eye on some new waders at Cabellas, there 1600 grams of insulation, but I need a coat. Last year I bought fleece to wear underneath and I was warm but I think the super thick coverals, and the fifty pound parka I wore had something to do with that. I thought about doing under armour and fleece this year but I really need to find a good coat.

Also, thanks for the offer Bullet, but it would never work! You would get mad at me if I bagged more quack then you! :laughing:
duckaddictedchic
Newb

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:13 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:19 pm

duckaddictedchic wrote: You would get mad at me if I bagged more quack then you! :laughing:

Wouldn't bother me none! :toofunny:
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:23 pm

Anything with GORETEX!
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum