MAD DOG GEAR DU waders SUCK!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

MAD DOG GEAR DU waders SUCK!

Postby gunman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:57 am

have any of you guys tried these? I bought em from Reeds Sport shop here in baxter Mn. they were the bigest piece of junk! they looked like great quality, and were heavy 5mm thick just the way I like em, and sported the 1000 grams of thinsulate boots....I went threw three diffrent pairs and gave up on em. every time they would leak right at the seem, usually around the inseam area. all three pair started leaking right away the first time they touched water....so th eforth time I told the guy that I didn't want that brand...but the next best ones he had didn't have the felt lineing in them.....the new ones are form LaCross. they too are 5mm and have 1000 boots but the thickness of the wader is much thinner than the mad dog's...any ideas? -Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:31 am

Cabelas 1600g super mag. i've only been duck hunting for a couple years and these are the only ones i've ever tried, let me tell you they work great never had a leak or anything.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:26 am

you can get hodgman waders for under $100 shipped that are 5mm and 1200g. Ten years and 3 different brands later, these are the ones I really like.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:23 pm

I was looking at the rain gear from MadDog.....had good success with their neoprene gloves.....I'll post up a report if I get the jacket and pants....sorry you had issues with the waders
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Mathews Man » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:19 pm

i have lacross and i love them. i have ones with the expandable sides and i can tuck my parka inside of them for cold weather pond hopping
Mathews Man
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:47 am

Hey ks_waterfowler, where can you get hodgman 5mm's for $100 bucks shipped? I know they did have an outlet store on their site but thats gone now and it didn't help me out the largest boot size they had was 11's.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:48 am

Not sure what the heck happened. I just bought some insulated bibs from them a couple weeks ago for $25 shipped.

They had bigger sizes. My brother got a pair of size 14 waders and I got 12. I think we paid like 150 total for both pairs plus shipping.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Blindman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:58 pm

I had terrible luck with the Mad Dog breatheables but the 3mm neoprenes have held up for two seasons and are still going strong. Be careful of the old style Growler jacket; it has slash pockets which will just let the rain into the inside of the jacket. The new model has flap pockets.
Blindman
hunter

Postby Tightline » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:58 pm

I have never owned a pair of neoprene waders that lasted more than a season at the best. Now keep in mind that I am including stocking footfishing waders in this as well but I have tried Hodgeman 3mil., 5mil. Mag, Cabelas 5 Mill warrior, Herters 5 mil. and all have failed in the same spot........the inseam just below the crotch, and that sucks at 5AM and -15 degrees. I have been fortunate that Cabelas had great customer service and has taken back and replaced every pair that I have had problems with. I now have Hodgeman breathable hunting waders with 600 gram thinsulate in the boots. I wore them the last week of the season last year hunting the river at -25. There is enough room to wear a pair of long johns and a pair of insulated jeans and I was plenty toasty. I chose the hodgemans because I have skinny feet and the boots are real tight at the ankles. My friend has a pair of the Cabelas breathables and they worked great for him last year (his first year as a pro guide) with lots of use.
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum