repainting deeks

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

repainting deeks

Postby tombuddy_90@hotmail.com » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:39 pm

i live here in iowa and i was wondering how to paint my older mallard deeks. i don't have an air brush and i would like to make other decoys beside mallards and mainly puddle duck decoys. the locals say paint flat black but i am not sure.

need some help
thanks thomas
tombuddy_90@hotmail.com
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:24 pm

Just get a few cans of cheapo spray paint from Wal-Mart and paint em up. The basic colors they carry will cover just about any duck around. If it flakes off just go buy another can for 88 cents. It certainly won't win any decoy contests, but the ducks don't seem to care!
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby QuackWacker08 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:27 pm

What if they faded? Do they have to be repainted or is there like a clear coat you can put on it?
QuackWacker08
hunter

Postby tstrong » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:32 pm

I went and ordered the decoy paint from Cabela's and they looked great! 3 days (nites) of painting. I also got tired and ended up getting a few cans of spray paint and went to town. They also looked great and took 1/3 the time. CHRISP'S you said it - a couple cans of spray paint and your old dekes look like new!
tstrong
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:02 am

tstrong,

did you guys just use like some kind of masking tape to make sure the paint didnt git over the other colors (multi-colored dekes)?

Thanks,
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:57 pm

The heads were the only area that need some brush work - the main body was easy. Just hold some card board up to keep the spray off the heads. The breast - tail and wings were easy. When putting camo on a gun I always used the lighter colors first and work my way to the darker colors.
tstrong
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:08 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:14 am

I only did bluebills and canvasbacks this year, but last year i did mallards, teal, a shoveler, and some more bluebills. For the bluebills I just sprayed it on. On the others I did head details with a brush. For the mallard heads Wal-Mart has cans of paint designed for childrens play areas the color is jelly bean green. Like I said last year I got kinda picky about the colors and went into detail. This year I decided the colors were more to attract hunter not ducks, so I stuck with simple patterns on the bluebills and the canvasbacks. Mallard decoys are easy to come by so I'm not worried about painting any of them up. I search for the absolute cheapest mallard decoys I can buy and then change them over to whatever duck I'm looking for. Last year I found factory seconds at Wal-Mart for 12 bucks a dozen and I'm hoping for the same this year! If I find them I'll be adding another 3 dozen bluebills after a few cans of 88 cent cans of spray paint!
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:10 am

I repainted some mallards into divers with krylons new paint that adheres to plastic, the paint was made just for plastics. Then I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a rattle can of "matt" clear coat. It's a flat finish. I think they turned out great. I flashed them first with a torch to get the plastic release agents off first. You don't have to burn the paint off, just flash them with the torch to get the impurities an oils off.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=303443&c=525&z=1"]Image[/url]
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:05 pm

They look great.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum