New to duck hunting, question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

New to duck hunting, question

Postby Peake » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:42 am

Had my first duck season last year. Hunted a public refuge with big ponds surrounded by flat shores, so I used a home made blind and sat on a bucket on dry ground. This season I plan to hunt a refuge that has ponds bordered by levees and no flat dry spot, so... How should I set up for this? Should I use a bucket and sit in the brush in shallow water, a marsh stool, a lawn chair? Do I need any additional camo material, or is just sitting in the short brush enough? And where should I put my dog in this situation? Unfortunately I have no hunting friends and no one to mentor me, so It's kinda' trial and error at this point, so it's a bit daunting to march up to a pond at 5:30am wondering where to plant my sorry butt! Thanks for any help.
Peake
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:08 am

Peake,

I know exactly what you mean...

From the info I see, I would just sit in the "bushes/grass" w/ a bucket.

If you wanted to, you could do what Im in the process of doing... take an old pallet (you can git them for free at almoast any store or warehouse) and set it out there and make a frame for a curtain like covering (Im dye-ing an old bedsheet and making holes to place tall grass in it). And sit in the grass like that (on a 5 gallon bucket).

And fer yer dog, you want him/her to be out of the way as much as possible. Im sure y'll figger that one out :smile:

But its all really just a matter of scouting that area out, and gitting familiar w/ it. :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:56 am

Peake,

I would scout these ponds out and the just build small brush blinds and use a bucket for a seat. The less stuff you have to carry in and set up the better. And a natural brush/grass blind only costs a bit of time.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:11 am

Man...I got more bucket time on my butt than Id care to admit too :yes: Question....are ya killin dux? If you are, dont fix it...If they are breaking off at 60 yards...get ya some camo material and a couple fold up stakes like they use as frames for pop tents...I carry wire cutters as ta cut down a little local growth and brush up with it...face mask and or paint is a good idea well. Try ta keep the sun in there face :yes: :yes: :yes: Y'alll have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby doane25 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:25 pm

use a lay out blind
doane25
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:24 pm

Are you walkin' or boatin' in. :help:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Peake » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:47 pm

Walking in
Peake
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:49 pm

theres places i hunt we just stand behind cover the whole time.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:32 pm

I carry a dozen inflatables, one duck butt, and a couple water keels in my kids old backpack. If the water is high, I drape my chest waders, with the boots out front, and shotgun over my shoulders, for the hike in. If the water aint high...ill just walk in with my hip boots, backpack, and shotgun. I carry an empty brown 5 gallon bucket ta sit on, and carry out my dead dux. The wife got me an Energizer head light that I love. :yes: :yes: :yes: Y'all have a nice day! :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Tightline » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:34 pm

If you are walking very far keep it light. I know how you feel, I'm coming up on my third season. I always hunted upland birds because nobody in my family would eat duck. I finally went with a buddy a couple years ago (at 25 years old) and after one time I was addicted. He started guiding the following season so I was left to fend for myself.

Get a couple fiberglass tent poles so that you can make 4 pieces 36" tall, some di-cut camo, a packet of black zip ties, and a pair or decent garden pruners. You can carry all of that in your bucket and it is not very heavy at all. The di-cut material doesn't catch much wind and with all the holes it makes it easy to fix natural vegitation and sticks to it. You can cut a slit in the bottom of the material to create a doggy door.

If I have to go a long way and am taking all my dekes (5 dozen) I pile my bucket, gun, and dekes into a plastic sled and clip the rope to my backpack with a carabiner. Since I don't have my own boat yet, this has become my most popular method. If you get into a situation where you need to lay down to hide, you can lay in the sled and not in the mud or snow.
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:23 pm

ARN, when you get that blind done send me a pic I have got to see this.
I have one question how much duct tape do you use on a blind like that?

:toofunny:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby darick silsby » Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:42 am

You can shoot ducks standing in the open if you don't move when there locked up on you. If there is natural vegitation to hunt in use it.You dont actualy have to be in it to hunt . Get right up next to it with your back against it. BUT-- you have to be on the shady side of the vegitation. Always use the shade to your advantage.
aim small miss small,
Mel Gibson- The patriot
darick silsby
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:12 am

:withstupid: I've bought one of those fancy pop-up blinds and made several of my own blinds and they all work. But, my favorite method of hunting is to just sit or stand in the natural vegatation as long as you are not moving and the sun isn't reflecting off your face the ducks will come in. You will need to have your dog under control as well if he is moving around then the ducks will flare.

If you feel you need a blind, as already mentioned keep it light and simple. Some good ideas for blinds have been shared already, look around the house and let the imagination flow. My only suggestion is to get your blind whether purchased or built yourself and assemble it and disassemble it a few times in the yard. This will help you in a couple of ways. First, you will become familiar with your blind and be able to do it in the dark with ease, and it will allow you to modify any imperfections that you see in the blind. Good luck !!
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum