Wader repair Advice needed

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Wader repair Advice needed

Postby Fowlphile » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:03 pm

I'm wondering if I am extremely hard on waders or if all waders just are this short lived.

Here is the problem, Hodgmann canvas waders with boots where the boots are part of the wader. They have been through two seasons and have holes in the seat where the inseems meet and the other bad one is on the boot.

The hole in the crotch (sp?) is just from the wearing them and rubbing and I think I can fix it with a normal patch kit by glueing down more canvas. This hole is a slow seeper and only a problem if I plan on standing in water for long times.

The second hole is much worse and tricky. It is on the boot. I got it hopping over a barbed wire fence. The wire, not the barb, cut a horizontal line across the boot (which is rubber) just above the ankle on the front side. This is a tricky fix for two reasons, 1) it is a horizontal cut in an area that gets stretched vertically--like when you point your toes down, and it is always wanting to open back up when you walk 2) the cut falls right where there is a change in rubber thickness and what this amounts to is that there is an uneveness that I can't avoid, making it difficult to put a smooth patch over it.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I would like to avoid buying a new pair of waders for several years if I can help it.

Patch kit reccomendations?

Anyone ever have this happen?
Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real Cool Hand. ---Lucas Jackson
Fowlphile
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:25 pm

You might try & take 'em to a tire shop & see if they can hot patch 'em for you. :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:57 pm

Are they canvas or neoprene? I have neoprene I would use aqua seal, I had about 2 tubes on my old waders. :salude: :salude: :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:05 pm

Shoo Goo from Wally World :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:56 pm

"Ducksbeus" Wrote: Shoo Goo from Wally World
Sportsman's Goop as well! Blue tube. I actually repaired a pair of waders by replacing both boots, and using a tube on each pant-leg. A little Alabama Chrome (duct tape), and two weeks drying time with no leaks! :thumbsup: Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:51 pm

gotduck68415 wrote:Are they canvas or neoprene? I have neoprene I would use aqua seal, I had about 2 tubes on my old waders. :salude: :salude: :salude:

he said canvas. I buys shoo goo at the local skate shop.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Return to Hunting Gear Forum