what was wrong with old shadow grass?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

what was wrong with old shadow grass?

Postby 870 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:43 am

Could someone please tell me what was so bad with the old mossy oak Shadow Grass, why’d they have to change it?

Personally the “ new Shadow Grass” has it has way too much green in it. Up north here the old SG was perfect IMO

Mossy Oak, I have an idea for a new camo pattern you can call it ”Rocky Shore Line”

For me the camo patterns are too bright, too 3D they seem to scream at ya again IMO
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby Drew Willemsen » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:56 am

you are exacly right on that...its good for spring snowgoose hunting tho... :salude:
Supreme Waterfowl Action Team
"We Don't Flock Around!!"
www.TheSupremeWaterfowlActionTeam.com
Drew Willemsen
hunter

Postby gunman » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:08 pm

I didn't know wy they changed it......whats it look like now..(pic please)
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Duckbuster109 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:45 pm

This is what Mossy Oak New Shadow Grass looks like:

If it flies, it dies.
Duckbuster109
hunter

Postby gunman » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:02 pm

yea, thats what I thought, so from what I have seen thats the only style I know of, but from the way I understand it, it changed to that. How about the pic of the old shadow grass...?
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:15 pm

i like the old shadow grass alot better too.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tstrong » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:59 pm

I bought a Browning jacket last season and the New MOSG is really green. I love the jacket but I wish the old MOSG was available.
tstrong
hunter

Postby Duckbuster109 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:18 pm

Old shadow grass:

The differences are easier to see when you are looking at clothing or things in a store and they have both old and new shadow grass.
If it flies, it dies.
Duckbuster109
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:20 pm

Treat the camo like a new layout blind. MUD IT. I know this sounds really stupid, but if you mix a little dirt and water and use a brush to paint it on your $300+ hunting coat, it will reduce the brigthness of the new camo. And it is still washable. So if you dont like that idea you can wash it off. And i agree 100% that the old shadow grass was better.

Well thats my 2 cents
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:11 am

I will always be a Max-4 man, but the old shadow grass was a heck of alot better.

Its just a new way for them to make more money :hammering:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:26 am

I have a bunch of stuff in both versions, and I think the newer is better for where I hunt. Of course being in FL, we have a fair amount of green all year round. The older had a bit too much brown in it and stood out unless we were around some stumps and trees. But of course I still wear it here anyway.

Gotta support Toxey. :thumbsup:
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:12 pm

first off mossy oak most likely changed the pattern for marketing people like new things so mossy oak just wanted to keep up. second I prefer the new mosg it works a lot better where I hunt. but the truth is went I'm buying a new hunting coat or waders I look at tthe coat or waders pros and cons and worry about pattern later after I've decided what I'm going to buy.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby texan68 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:28 pm

It really dosen't matter what camo you use...you could use timber camo in a corn field and do just as well if you had a matching pattern. I personaly like solid browns and greens, but have found it harder and harder to find over the years.
texan68
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:11 pm

first thanks for your post.

it seems like the ones who like the new shadow grass are from the south where they have more green grass during hunting season, thats cool i can understand that.

i wish Mossy Oak would send someone up here and ask the guestion "what do you yankee's need for camo?"

i can't believe it was too boost sale, it sold like hot cakes up here.

if they were to ask me what would work, it would be smething soft and subtle, not bright and high def.

something that would blend into the shoreline , rocks dead grass even drift wood,

let me know what you think
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:58 pm

At least give people the option.....instead of changing and sticking ppl with one line and say...to bad so sad. That philosohy for me just rocks my boat :pissed: :pissed:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:56 pm

hey..it's a new season and all the fasion designers are refreshing their old patterns! :laughing:

nothing was wrong with the old stuff..or any stuff for that matter. the "new" patterns are there to fool the hunters, not the hunted. :thumbsup:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:56 pm

Old Shadow Grass was my favorite pattern without a doubt. Advantage Wetlands was a close second, and that one is gone too. Thank God they were clearing out advantage wetlands bibs at $22.99
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:56 pm

Old Shadow Grass was my favorite pattern without a doubt. Advantage Wetlands was a close second, and that one is gone too. Thank God they were clearing out advantage wetlands bibs at $22.99
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

old shadow grass

Postby MicroMike » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:11 am

I used to feel the same way. I thought any camo would do, but something happened this year that changed my mind. I hunted ducks with a guy that only had hardwood camo. The ducks were flaring well out of range, and continued to do so. Now there could have been another reason, but I believe that if the background is light, and you are dark, then animals do give you some extra scrutiny, and vice versa.
MicroMike
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:24 pm

Anyone in here that knows me knows that i'm a new gear junkie. I got camo everything. I also remember my very first duck hunt being clad in military surplus and not flaring anything. Don't forget the old timers in brown canvas and checkered flannel! :salude:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:08 pm

MicroMike, I can’t agree more, I’ve seen birds do it. Where I hunt you don’t have a lot of cover, and none over your head. If you build a blind it better be low- profile, nearly laying down, and your dog better not move. I’m talking facemask, camo guns, boat hid, and the hole nine yards. Your camo better be right, or your going to stand out like a sore thumb. Most of the time my camo was my blind, I’m not sure now time will tell.
State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:37 pm

You want open hunting....I hunt a salt flat in the laguna madre...no trees, no grass, nothing.........just bare sandy shoreline. I use old blotch camo, while my dad wears green shortsleeve fishing shirts and shorts. I always get just as many ducks as everyone else.

THEY'RE DUCKS NOT SNIPERS.
texan68
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:36 pm

870 wrote:MicroMike, I can’t agree more, I’ve seen birds do it. Where I hunt you don’t have a lot of cover, and none over your head. If you build a blind it better be low- profile, nearly laying down, and your dog better not move. I’m talking facemask, camo guns, boat hid, and the hole nine yards. Your camo better be right, or your going to stand out like a sore thumb. Most of the time my camo was my blind, I’m not sure now time will tell.

870, Im tellin ya man.. one of these days we need to "Swamp hunts" cuz that just sounds like a boat load of fun!! :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Reddfin » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:15 pm

I have a brand new Browning Duck commander 4 in 1 Jacket in MO Breakup MED. I would trade any of you guys that dont like the New Shadowgrass in similar jacket/condition. I am in FL and I like the green.

Tony
Supprt
Delta Waterfowl
United Waterfowlers of FL
DU
NRA

Take your kids hunting and fishing. Someday, they may be the ones taking you.
Reddfin
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:32 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Advantage Wetlands was a close second, and that one is gone too. Thank God they were clearing out advantage wetlands bibs at $22.99

I found out too late. Advantage wetlands is available primarily through LL bean. Otherwise I would have bought more of that pattern, seeing as how it's stil one of the better ones out there.

While being effective, camo is like a fishing lure..colors and patterns are meant to appeal more to the fisherman than to the fish. Case in point, beer can themed lures are doing great all around, as opposed to fire-tiger or perch painted baits.

I like the old shadow grass better, but I own only a sliver of it. Max-4 and advantage wetlands make up the bulk of my gear. Unless they make another shadowgrass that resembles the old, I'll be searching close-out racks for it OG shadowgrass!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum