Duck Boat Opinion: Console or no console.

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

Duck Boat Opinion: Console or no console.

Postby Gibber » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:01 pm

I am currently doing some research on hunting boats and I need some help deciding if I want to get a console in the boat. Is there an advantage/disadvantage to having one? Im looking at an Xpress 16' boat that will primarily be used to hunt.

Also, does anyone have a Jet prop outboard? Can you easily ruin one by getting into a muddy situation? I will be hunting larger rivers and lakes, will I be at a disadvantage with one on a lake?
Gibber
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:05 pm

I have a 16' Polar Kraft with a center console. I use it in conjunction with a custom pop-up blind. When I'm hunting with that blind, I HATE the console because it just gets in the way. However, when I'm not using the pop-up blind and just using the boat to get to my stationary blinds, I wouldn't trade that console for anything. When I'm heading straight into a stiff north wind and the temp is below freezing, I am the only one in the boat (dog included) not shivering!

So, it depends on how you will use the boat.

Later
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:26 pm

In my opinion it depends on your water conditions. If you are in calm water, like flooded timber, small river, etc. I like to use no console. When traveling across lakes, large rivers, bays, etc. with unpredictable conditions it is nice to have a center console, so you are able to see the waves in front of you better.
texan68
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:24 am

It's all about preference.

I prefer to use a tiller steer outboard because I can maneuver easier. The consoles generally allow you to have a larger horsepower rating than a tiller steer, but they do take up precious floor space. I don't really see there being a difference between a tiller and console steer in big vs. small water. I hunt anywhere from a small river that is no more than 50 yards across at its widest point to large lakes to the Arkansas River which can easily get 4' whitecaps on it when the wind picks up.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum