what brand of headlamp?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

what brand of headlamp?

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:04 pm

Hey fella's,

I am going to get a new headlamp for my hat this year, for walking out to my hunting spot. I am interested in your input as to which brands you recommend and which brands you don't.

I want an LED light, with either different color lenses or lights. red/green.

thanks for the input.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:27 pm

I dont really think the brand is that big of a deal. Just find a decent LED lamp for the money.

:thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:14 pm

Petzl is a good brand. I like LED headlamps, but that is my opinion. They issue us bulb headlamps when we are on the fireline, and they work alright too. I always carried my LED in my pack.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:17 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:Petzl is a good brand. I like LED headlamps, but that is my opinion. They issue us bulb headlamps when we are on the fireline, and they work alright too. I always carried my LED in my pack.

:withstupid: I can't find a better product for the price. All the browning stuff seems a lil' high buck.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:38 pm

i have a browning 1 watt led headlamp. yeah its pricey but you cant beat it. its super bright. you can look over the entire spread with it.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:46 pm

I have just ordered a Cats Eyes lamp From a retailer here in NS. There is a thread about them in the Canada Duck Hunting Forum. :salude:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:03 pm

Greg Wile wrote:I have just ordered a Cats Eyes lamp From a retailer here in NS. There is a thread about them in the Canada Duck Hunting Forum. :salude:

Greg, are those the ones that attach to the bill of your cap?

I am not that worried about price with the headlamp. I will spend what it takes to get a great product that will not fail me and will last several seasons. I bought a cheap one last year, spurr of the moment only one in the store. It worked well, but it crapped out on the second to the last hunt day.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby viper24k » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:02 pm

i got a black diamond one for christmas and took it out already and love it.....50 bucks i think it should run .........it's got one main led and then you can switch it over to two smaller ones for more run time
Theres nothin better than a moonlit sunrise over a spread of dekes

She Thinks My Dog is Sexy

Quackin, Whackin and Stackin....
viper24k
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:43 pm

I have been thinking about getting one too. Does anyone have a colored bulb or filter on theirs? how do you like it? Ace how about the trident lamp on cabelas. Their browing lamps are $30. I was thinkin on going to basspro to save shipping (eventhough I am trying to restrain going there)
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:53 am

DROPDUX wrote:I have been thinking about getting one too. Does anyone have a colored bulb or filter on theirs? how do you like it? Ace how about the trident lamp on cabelas. Their browing lamps are $30. I was thinkin on going to basspro to save shipping (eventhough I am trying to restrain going there)

I got one at Walmart for my backup LED to my Petzl LED that they bought for use. It had a red led in the middle which I used several times for pickin up night crawlers. My brother also found a nice one in the mud at the marsh one morning. It was about 3 days after I found a pair of new looking gortex gloves out there.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:49 am

viper24k wrote:i got a black diamond one

If I had to pick a brand, it would be Black Diamond. I know and trust all of their supplies (Im a Rapeller :smile: )

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:35 am

The wife got me an Energizer brand at Wally World for around $12 last year. Has a red lamp as well...very handy, small, lightwieght :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:56 am

I'm with KS......I got a cheapo Everready at Walmart - about $12 - because I was afraid of losing an expensive one and figured I could get three of the cheapos rather than one Petzel.......turns out that I've had it for three seasons and it is excellent!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greenster » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:33 am

go with the cat Eyes
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Sep 13, 2005 12:33 pm

I have a moutain Green head lamp it has eight LEDs it last for ever I use it offten and left it on for a whole week straight. I also have dropped it in saltwater over and over and it keeps working it also is brighter then any head lamp I've ever seen :thumbsup:
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby texasduckblaster » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:57 pm

Petzel is the best brand i have ever used.

heres the one my dad has

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Product ... iew=large&

its the brightest one i have ever seen.
texasduckblaster
hunter

Postby cast-n-blast » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:00 am

I've used a Princeton Yukon for 3 or 4 years and it rocked. compared it to the new petzel, and I liked mine better. 1/2 the price too!
"Hippies...They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."

"If God didn't want us to shoot animals...then why'd he make 'em out of meat?"
cast-n-blast
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:38 am

ACE, yes they are the ones that clip on the brim of your hat. If you want an expensive light that will last for years and has an adjustable beam take a look at the lights that coon hunters use, the head lamps can attach to your hat or belt or you can hold them in your hand and they come with a rechargable battery & charger. Problem is the voltage on most is 6v and in most cases the law states lamps of no more than 4.5 v can be used. There is one called the kitten cooner that ia 4.5v but as to price and place to buy you would have to go on line or contact someone who coon hunts a lot.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:00 pm

I got one at sportsmans wharehouse last year its not the most expensive or best one out there but it does just fine. Dont caught up in all the advertising, just because its expensive does not mean its the best one for you. I think mine was like 25 bucks and it runs on 3 aaa's it lasted quite a while too on the same ones.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby chase83 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:27 pm

Optronics 7 led System Works awesome about 35.00 but worth it I went whole season used every time for a whole year and just changed batteries yesterday year later... Very nice .. LED rocks...
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:00 pm

AlaskaRedneK wrote:
viper24k wrote:i got a black diamond one

If I had to pick a brand, it would be Black Diamond. I know and trust all of their supplies (Im a Rapeller :smile: )

-Stouff

I own a black diamond too. While my praticular model isn't that bright...it get's the job done. and it has a super low light feature that I i've used to reapply drags in the dark w/o fear of spooking anything. IT also has a strobe feature, lest I forget to wear white skivvies and find myself stranded like that poor soul last year.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:23 pm

Greg Wile wrote:ACE, yes they are the ones that clip on the brim of your hat. If you want an expensive light that will last for years and has an adjustable beam take a look at the lights that coon hunters use, the head lamps can attach to your hat or belt or you can hold them in your hand and they come with a rechargable battery & charger. Problem is the voltage on most is 6v and in most cases the law states lamps of no more than 4.5 v can be used. There is one called the kitten cooner that ia 4.5v but as to price and place to buy you would have to go on line or contact someone who coon hunts a lot.
I used those lamps when coon hunting with my grandad. Greatest lights in the world. Much bigger than I need, probobly going with the petzel, or maybe that black diamond?

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:41 pm

Make sure you let us know what you got :salude:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:32 am

:getdown: I bought the cats eyes light and it works great. I first took it in to work and used it while working on some hydraulic gear. Man it was nice to have good light and both hands free to work with. Then last nite went out around 12:30 and that little light really lit the yard up I'm impressed with it as it it so light weight and the light it gives off is fantastick. All for $20 Ca funds and the batteries came with it.

Greg Wile
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:29 am

AlaskaRedneK wrote:Make sure you let us know what you got :salude:

-Stouff

I'll let you know. I am still debating. Once I get the light, it will pretty much wrap up my purchases for the year and I'll be set for the season. Gun comes tuesday. :getdown:

Dirty Harry

ACEBLDRS

Return to Hunting Gear Forum