Mixing camo patterns?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Mixing camo patterns?

Postby Grant48 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:47 am

I've heard differing views on this topic. Some of my friends seem to be hardcore about only wearing one camo pattern at a time, while others say that it doesnt make a difference. I've always been a Mossy Oak Breakup fan, but lately I've found myself buying alot of Realtree Hardwoods stuff.

Personally, I have no problem with mixing. I'll wear Mossy BU shirts/jackets with Hardwoods pants, and vice versa. But I guess alot of that can be attributed to me being a college kid, and therefore dont have alot of money to throw around... so I just buy whatever is on sale. :toofunny:

It'll be interesting to hear what people say, I'd like to hear popular opinion on the forum... :yes:
Grant48
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:56 am

When you stop and give it some thought what does it matter when you are already concealed in a blind. JMO
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:03 am

Greg Wile wrote:When you stop and give it some thought what does it matter when you are already concealed in a blind. JMO

Haha, yeah I know. If camo is really doing its job, it should all blend together and become indistinguishable.
Grant48
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:58 am

As sole support of a wife, three kids, two dogs, a gerbil and a mother-in-law, I buy whatever is on sale.

A Cabelas model, I am not! :cool:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby duckdog » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:46 am

The best camo is no movement, all I use in early season is a green, and black flannel shirt, then once the cattail's, and leave's turn color I wear a brown duck Carhartt coat. The secret is not to move till the last second
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:09 am

no it dosen't matter. My waders are solid brown, my many jackets and coats, range from blotch camo, to timber to advantage wetlands. As long as you use natural "earth" colors, and stay still, you'll do fine.
Last edited by texan68 on Sun Sep 18, 2005 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texan68
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Sep 18, 2005 5:58 pm

It doesnt really matter, but i preferably would like it all in one pattern. But ive worn Max-4 with Mossy Oak Breakup duck hunting and it worked fine.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby wa.duckhunter » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:54 am

I disagree!! When I'm done hunting and stop in for a hamburger or a drink I want all my camoes to match so I look like a pro.

:umm: :toofunny: Just kidding I really don't believe that. I honestly agree with what has already been said. Camo no matter what pattern it is, is design to break up your outline. The rest of it is up to you not to move. The only type of guys that are really concerned about having matching camos are those trying to impress other hunters. That's my two cents anyway. And, by no means do I mean any offense to your hard core buddies.
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:20 am

I am a mix and match of patterns and solid colors, a fashion maven I am not. :mrgreen:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:26 pm

wa duckhunter beat me too it. I was gonna say that I wanted to look cool in the poor man's line at the spot I go to.

Actually, it's whatever happens to get pulled out of the camo clothes box in the basement for that morning.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Grant48 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:37 pm

wa.duckhunter wrote:And, by no means do I mean any offense to your hard core buddies.

The only thing my buddies are hardcore about is their apparel. As far as hunting skill and whatnot, they're nothing special... but neither am I. :laughing:
Grant48
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:33 pm

I dont think it really matters.

I like to be in the same camo, but IMO it isnt that big of a deal :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:37 pm

I don't think patterns matter so much as colors, i.e. a woodland green pattern will stick out like a sore thumb in a late November hunt, as will an predominately brown pattern in an early season goose hunt in a rye field. If you stop and think about it for a moment, it might even make more sense to mix and match, as long as the colors or hues agree with the surroundings....the whole idea behind camoflage is to break up the human outline....kinda hard if the body is dressed head to toe in the same thing; but if you have different patterns, it tends to skew ones perspective. Just MHO.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Triggerhappy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:21 pm

The main thing to consider is your face and hands. Especially late in the season it's important to cover your face. As long as your camo blends in with your surroundings, you're fine. I like to wear mossy oak break up in timber and shadow grass along the edge of a pond or in tall grass.
"If it flies it dies"
"They're fallin from the heavens"
Triggerhappy
Newb

Postby Evil_McNasty » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:52 am

I don't know if you are asking about duck hunting exclusively, but I almost always mix when turkey hunting. I'll wear M.O. Forest Floor for pants, and break up or harwoods for a shirt, as it better matches my appearence sitting at the base of a tree.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Remington1187 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:46 pm

I have a whitetail hunting book and it says mixing up your camo actually breaks you up better and fools the animals mind into thinking its just a group of different kinds of brush.....justt my 2 cents
"And there came a voice to him, 'Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.' " - Acts 10:13
Remington1187
hunter

Postby Spencer5100 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:10 pm

as long as it breaks up your body pattern, and is the right color, your fine. if the ducks can see u well enough to tell the difference, you need to use a better blind.
Spencer5100
hunter

Postby Franchi » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:00 am

I agree with yall...Camo is Camo right ! Mix them match them.
Get Down ! Get Down ! Here they come.
Franchi
Account Suspended for brand name useage

Postby mud duck » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:26 pm

The best camo around here is a park bench, newspaper, loaf of bread and street clothes.
mud duck
hunter

really

Postby bnew » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:08 pm

NO it does not matter if you mix and match your camo. Round these parts down south if you come out to the field in brand new matching camo, chances are you will probably get laughed off the field, naw man it dont matter if you mix and match
bnew
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:08 pm

well i don't think it matters if your camo matchs but if I'm buying a new pair of gloves and they give me a choice of camo brands I choose the pattern that fits my coat. you gotta look good for the ladies :yes:
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby BILL COLLECTER » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:38 pm

as long as your not wearing bright yellow..... all u really need is 2 be still and keep quiet....
take em'
BILL COLLECTER
Newb

Postby H.O.G » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:10 pm

I remember my uncle testing out the camo theory. He went out with his green hip waders and a red hooded sweatshirt. We limited out that morning. The ducks didn't seem to mind. I agree with wa.duckhunter, even though he was joking, you have to look cool man!
H.O.G
hunter

my. 2

Postby Marshwalker » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:09 pm

i have read an :salude: d heard mixing the patterns make your more camo than one solid pattern. but as long as i am warm and comfortable im fine.
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:36 pm

i mostly were that old military camo BDU stuff cuase its cheap and durable, but if i had the money MAX-4 is the way to go, it blends w/ anything
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Next