HELP!!! Holey Waders!!

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

HELP!!! Holey Waders!!

Postby Penguine » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:47 pm

Ok folks, went out this weekend with my daughter, put on the waders to go lay out deeks, and my leg got wet! ARRGH!! The waders are less than a year old, only wore em 5 times last season. They are Neoprene. Question is how do I find the hole? It is not big, I mean my pant leg barely got wet, but if I am to be trooping through the water this winter I do not want a wet leg in -10 weather. help! I have a patch kit, but I can not seem to find the hole. Should I fill the waders with water on the inside and look for any wetness on the outside and then mark it inside and patch, or...??? HELP!!!! :help: :help:
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:28 pm

What you said.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby gunman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:29 am

no, no, no.....let them dry completely, now this is how I have done it before and has worked very well. once they are dry, put them on and go stand in the water for five minutes, get out and with a magic marker, outline the wet spot on the inside of the waders, just a circle around the very edge of the spot, whether its the size of a pie pan or the size of a tennis ball. But the key thing is to use the same system when you do it again, say the first time you did it you stood in the water for five minutes and it gave you a wet spot the size of a pie pan, ok, now draw your circle. next let them dry over night and go back to the same place, if you walk out into a pond or lake to do this MAKE SURE you only go in the same depth each time, as a deeper depth with have more pressure and push the water threw the whole quicker creating a larger wet spot, giving you miss information.....now once they have had a chance to dry, do it again but for only two minutes, and get out, draw a circle around your now tennis ball sized whole, which you hope will be INSIDE the first circle....If not revert back to the beginning. Continue to do this and keep shortening the time you spend in the water till you have a dime sized wet spot or smaller.....and bingo! there is your wet spot, keep in mind that there might be multiple holes, so when you start getting the wet spot to a smaller size keep your eyes peeled for more than one........that’s how I do it anyways......good luck let me know if you don't understand something...-Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:07 am

I've done it both ways and they both work well. :thumbsup:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:36 am

Here's the way I'm gonna do it with my brand new waders that I got for Christmas last year.

I'm going to wash them off, box them up, and ship them back to Cabelas with a note inside, describing their use. If they are as new as you say, I would recomend the same thing, because Cabelas is usually pretty good about taking things back in my experiences.

I've worn mine probably about 5 times. 4 were for dog training so that was for maybe a half and hour a piece and the last was Teal hunting. I pull my waders off and my whole shin was wet.

That is faulty product IMO if they can't hold up to 5 times of gentle use.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:55 am

gsphunter wrote:Here's the way I'm gonna do it with my brand new waders that I got for Christmas last year.

I'm going to wash them off, box them up, and ship them back to Cabelas with a note inside, describing their use. If they are as new as you say, I would recomend the same thing, because Cabelas is usually pretty good about taking things back in my experiences.

I've worn mine probably about 5 times. 4 were for dog training so that was for maybe a half and hour a piece and the last was Teal hunting. I pull my waders off and my whole shin was wet.

Hrmm.. maybe I will call Scheels (where I bought them) and ask them if they will replace them. We shall see. If not I think I shall use the marker/shallow water method.

Thanks folks.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:51 pm

I agree with you about the way to find the leak. But i would not mess with that patch kit you have. You will be much better off getting a tube of shoe goo to fix the hole once you find it. Good luck
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:08 pm

Update: Took the waders back to Scheels today and explained the problem to the Hunting Footwear Manager. He exchanged em for a brand new pair. :getdown:

New waders to wear this weekend!!! Man... the season is starting off well already! :thumbsup: :mrgreen:
Penguine
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:18 pm

gsphunter wrote:Here's the way I'm gonna do it with my brand new waders that I got for Christmas last year.

gsp, that is exactly what i would do. I don't mess around with crap equipment.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby MrsJumpshooter » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:56 pm

also to check where the hole is you can sit in the bath tub after you start to feel the water leak in you can stand up and have someone rub there hand over where you are wet on the inside that will cause where the hole is to pill back because the water has caused it to relax than you can put a circle around it and patch it with a patch kit or you can get some outdoor glue. if it is a bigger hole you can sew it with needle and thread and cover it with the outdoor glue (make sure it is waterproof glue) and it will seal it.

I have to do it every year to my husbands (Damn screws)
I hunt it, Therfore I cook it too!
MrsJumpshooter
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:54 am

What about the ole light in the waders trick? Does that not work these days?
Chris
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:59 am

on your old pair the hole might have been in the seam.. in this case it useally is from after hunting in cold weather letting them freeze becase the water in the seams expands and breaks holes in your waders .. try to keep from doing thisand you waders should last longer ... messed up a nce pair last season from doing that... hope you have a good sason :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum