Laydown Blind

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

Laydown Blind

Postby Canadian Quacker » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:48 am

Hey Everyone,
I am wanting to use a laydown blind on a couple of hunts this year but I am too cheap to buy one. I have decided to try and make one myself. I was just wondering if anyone had some tips on how to build one or maybe where I can find some plans for such a thing.
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby Penguine » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:27 am

I bet you could make one out of PVC and burlap. Good luck, let us know how it turns out.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:04 am

Funny you should say that. I tried to make one a year or two ago and I think I got to detailed about it. I tried to figure out how to get a spring door and make it light weight, but yet strong. My conclusion was to take the burlap that i'd gathered and lay a piece on the ground lay on it and take the other piece and put on top of me. I know its no "lay down blind" but it sure meets all my requirements. Its easy to operate, light weight, and very durable. My own personal conclusion. If I don't have the money to buy the commercially produced, keep it simple. Good luck on yours. :thumbsup:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:26 am

buy a finisher and don't waste your time
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:30 am

Sometimes money is a factor and you just can't "buy one".
Penguine
hunter

Postby Canadian Quacker » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:02 pm

Yeah I don't really have the money for a commercially produced one.
Two old pieces of burlap is more in my price range.
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:22 pm

and thats why people work
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kyfowler » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:26 pm

if you get wildfowl mag they have a blind section. in the Nov 2004 edition they have a coffin style blind and a garbage can blind. they are somewhat easy to make. if you would like the article or more detailed instructions let me know. i am building the coffin stlye but modifing it to my likeness.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:29 pm

and some of those people that work are still not able to just toss out $200+ for a lay-out blind. Some of those people that work have additional bills, child support, alimony, etc, etc, that they have to pay before they can buy their "toys".

Offer some useful advice or simply refrain from posting.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Canadian Quacker » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:44 pm

Yeah KyKid.....some more information would be great
If it's not too much trouble.

Thanks for your input Quackerkiller.
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:50 pm

Canadian Quaker...

I am going to try and put something together before this weekend. It might not be anything near what your looking for since it is going to be built for 4 people to occupy in the middle of a slowly drying out resevoir. If I actually get around to it and get some financial support from my hunting buddies I will throw up some pics of our efforts.
Penguine
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:47 pm

gaarbage can blind

Get the biggest sturdiest plastic garbage can with wheel you can find. Cut the can directly in half lengthwise, with the wheels remaining on one side, then join teh two rims of the two halves together to for a trough. Trim the lip off the rim of one of the halves allowing it to fit inside the other half. Need to make sure this part is watertight.

nezt scuff up the plastic where the two halves overlap at about six inches, leaving the length to about 6 feet. Glue teh two halves together with water proof sealer that works on plastic, and pop rivit it using fender washers on the inside and outside. Then seal the pop rivits with glue.

After the glue seta pop rivit one-inch angled aluminum around the top edge fro stability. Add a towing strap to the end opposite the wheels. Run a piece of aluminum across the center of the blind where your waist will bend when you sit up o shoot. from the piece of aluminum to the foot of the blind bolt a 1/4 inch piece of plywood. put pipe insulation over the center piece for a gun rest. You can drill holes in the aluminum and plywood to attach bungees for grassing cords. if you have large feet cut holes in the plywood for them to fit thru. Before painting grind teh blind with a wire wheel so teh paint can stick. you could also add a flip open top to the top part of the blind. get yourself something comfortable to sit on. it doubles as a gear cart.

i will post the other instructions when i find the article. hope this is a help.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:35 pm

KyKid,

You've inspired me to be creative. I think I am going to go home tonight, grab an empty garbage can from one of the empty houses near me, and set to cut it in half with my jigsaw.
Penguine
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:04 pm

thanks penguine glad i could help
kyfowler
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:26 pm

well if you make smart choices in life then you would have that money and im sure since your so creative that you could come up with the money
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:07 am

You may be right but then again it does not take much some times to go from being one who has lots to one who has not. Have you ever had your spouse or one of your children get really sick? Have you ever been laid of off work or injured so that you cannot work? I have and when the money stops comming in or it is drastically reduced you have a long hard road to hoe. So don't go judging people unless you have walked in their shoes for a time.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Penguine » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:24 am

You know quackerkiller, until about 2 minutes ago I thought everyone here was a decent person. You seem to have proved that thought wrong. I am so glad you know everyone's situation and are so quick to tell people what they should and should not have.

Pat yourself on the back for being better then the rest. :thumbsdown:
Penguine
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:57 am

when did i say that you had to have a ground blind i said it was the best way to go and that was my opinion and thats what this is for. Telling other people your idea of what would work best for hutning but nice guilt trip
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Canadian Quacker » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:13 am

I'm just trying to save money quackerkiller
Thanks for your help everyone
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:57 am

yea no prob, The only way that i have heard of that works realy well other then groundblinds are making a pvc frame using that gray pvc or just put that camo duck tape on the white and make a frame and use bungees as the spring loaded part for the doors and put chicken wire or burlap i think chicken wire works the best and you put the stubble in the chicken wire and dig down enough to fit your body and lay the flat frame over top and it will spring open and its like a personal pit blind.
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby puddlerjumper » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:06 pm

It just seems impossible to me to be able to use a white pvc frame on something like a layout blind that takes that much abuse. I may be wrong, but I don't see that pvc frame lasting more than a season. Which I guess it's cheap enough to replace.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Canadian Quacker » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:03 pm

Yeah I manage to build some resemblance to a laydown blind this weekend. I used 2 by 2 lumber and burlap. Seemed to work quite nicely. I guess I will find out when the season opens this weekend!!! Thanks for all your help. I will throw up some pics when I get it totally completed

w. hunter
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby kyfowler » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:55 pm

i did the same thing CQ except i don't have material yet. it should be done this week will try to post some pics.
kyfowler
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:35 pm

I built one using scrap 1" steel EMT conduit.Very sturdy yet not heavy,comfortable too.I built a flip up goose shell to hide under,its detactable in case I want to hunt with out the shell.
Makes a decent decoy carrier as well.I've had a few request to pm plans but I think I'll just post up plans here on this forum, when I pull it all together.First I have to get my computer to work with me,sometimes it has a mind of its own.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby REM1100 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:06 pm

hey Canadian Quaker....I built a home made version..made in Canada that works well and folds up and looks like the real thing with camo and stubble straps flag holes etc. at a very low cost and field tested it in Saskatchewan this fall :thumbsup: ..Just send me a P.M. with your e-mail address and I will send pics and plans
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Next

Return to Hunting Gear Forum