Red head waders???

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Red head waders???

Postby panthersfan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:46 pm

Anyone owned red head boot waders. The ones with the 1000 gram ins. in the boot? they any good? they are 5mm neop. anyone got any opinons?
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:44 pm

i've never owned the waders but every camo and jacket i own is redhead. I love the stuff and its never went bad on me. i'm sure that their waders are just as good as there other products.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:34 am

My buddy just bought the cheapy 3.5mm 600gram Thinsulates and he said they are great. I'm probably going to buy a pair of the 1000's this winter, because my waders are the 3mm neoprene Cordura mix so they are nice for warmer water, but come December it'll be a bit chilly.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

thanks

Postby panthersfan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 4:01 pm

thanks guys for your input. do yall feel that 1000 gram is sufficient to stay warm in the south carolina area where the water only gets down to around 40 degrees
Jonathan
panthersfan
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:08 pm

I'd look out when you get into those Redhead waders. I've tried on both those and the Cabelas Ultimate Armor Flex waders. The Red Heads in my mind aren't as comfortable. The only thing that the Red Heads have an advanage on is the d-rings. Other than that, I think the Ultimates are the better buy, and they are both the same price. The Red Heads are heavier(I think) and aren't as comfortable in the boot. They have a short ankle fit boot instead of one that comes up to the bottom of your calf like the ultimates(to me, that is an advantage for the ultimates) It seems they give better support when walking in mud. The ultimates don't have a buckle at the shoulders, they have velco straps so they don't interfere with shooting. If you couldn't tell, I own the ultimates. Best waders I've owned. You talk about tough. I have intentionally tried to drive nails through them and wasn't able to. I've tried that with my stocking foots and it didn't take long. Buy the ultimates and I promise you won't regret it.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Re: thanks

Postby diver-hunter » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:51 am

panthersfan wrote:thanks guys for your input. do yall feel that 1000 gram is sufficient to stay warm in the south carolina area where the water only gets down to around 40 degrees

my God no, you would be sweating insanely. i use 600 gram and it usually is about 5-10 out on the water and i stay warm :smile:
diver-hunter
hunter

Re: thanks

Postby gsphunter » Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:52 pm

diver-hunter wrote:
panthersfan wrote:thanks guys for your input. do yall feel that 1000 gram is sufficient to stay warm in the south carolina area where the water only gets down to around 40 degrees

my God no, you would be sweating insanely. i use 600 gram and it usually is about 5-10 out on the water and i stay warm :smile:

My thought exactly.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:27 am

puddlerjumper wrote:I'd look out when you get into those Redhead waders. I've tried on both those and the Cabelas Ultimate Armor Flex waders. The Red Heads in my mind aren't as comfortable. The only thing that the Red Heads have an advanage on is the d-rings. Other than that, I think the Ultimates are the better buy, and they are both the same price. The Red Heads are heavier(I think) and aren't as comfortable in the boot. They have a short ankle fit boot instead of one that comes up to the bottom of your calf like the ultimates(to me, that is an advantage for the ultimates) It seems they give better support when walking in mud. The ultimates don't have a buckle at the shoulders, they have velco straps so they don't interfere with shooting. If you couldn't tell, I own the ultimates. Best waders I've owned. You talk about tough. I have intentionally tried to drive nails through them and wasn't able to. I've tried that with my stocking foots and it didn't take long. Buy the ultimates and I promise you won't regret it.

I second this. I assume you are talking about the Red Head Bone Dry Extremes? I think that's what they're called. I have a set of those and they are well built. BUT, they are very heavy in the boot area, pretty uncomfortable and for lack of a better word, cumbersome to walk around in. They are now my loaner pair because I can't stand to walk more than 50 yards in them! :smile:

I switched over to a pair of Lacrosse Brush Tuffs IIs. I love them--way better in the comfort department and they seem a couple pounds lighter.

As for the Ultimates, I am glad to see they are well thought of... I just bought my wife a pair and they will be here any day for the opener.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby Evil_McNasty » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:24 pm

Sounds like you got the answers you needed, but I'll put in my 2 cents. I have the 600 gram waders in 3.5mm, and have been nothing but happy with them. The pair I have now have been used for 3 seasons without any problems. And living in FL I do go through briars and wood that should rip at them.

As far as warmth.....let's see last year I think it only got into the 20's and the 3.5mm was fine with a pair of sweats or fleece underneath. And I'm not talking knee deep water, I mean like waist deep for a couple hours at a time. Not too sure what the exact water temp was, prolly mid 30's. I just wish they made these waders in shadowgrass.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby smitgonhunting » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:59 pm

They are good tough, strong, puncture resistant waders. Really heavy boots. I would not recommend for south carolina. I live in texas and I regret buying them-I had to buy a light pair just to make it thru the warm part of the season-which is most of the year.
"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue."
smitgonhunting
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:41 pm

Dont go too heavy on the insulation. A lot of the time you end up sweating in the things. I dont know how many times I have pulled my waders off and my legs feel wet, but it ends up being damp from sweat.
yellodog1
State Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum