To cover with no cover

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

To cover with no cover

Postby Penguine » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:27 am

Ok, that is clear as mud right? Let me explain. I just found out that on opening day (24 Sept) we are going to be hunting on a resevoir that is drying up. Normally this thing is pretty huge but in recent years, with the drought here in SD it is getting LOW. Anyway, my hunting buddy was out there last night and it seems to be packed full of geese and ducks and that is where he wants to hunt on opening day. So my question is this... Should we attempt to cover ourselves with something or just sit out there in the middle of nothingness, surrounded by decoys, and hope they come in. There is NO natural cover, not a log, blade of grass, anything, just a mud flat. The water is about knee deep to a goose.

Our plan is to get out there WAY before sun up and sit.

Thoughts? I was thinking something like some PVC pipe draped with camo netting to make it look like a small hill, and sitting in the middle of that.
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:11 am

I think you have the right idea. You have to cover up. I have seen many a duck land in front of straw covered blinds that are sitting in the middle of a lake.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:39 pm

I hunt in cut corn and some fields that are tilled.....all we do is cover with burlap with a little dirt on top....it seems to work fine.....we also wear plain brown cotton duck pants and we keep a super mag shell over us....the guns get pretty dirty so I would not suggest using an auto!
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:57 pm

Maybe covered a little bit.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:17 pm

We hunt a lake down south sometimes that is about the same way. But there is stump every now and then. We always just bring a chair and try to sit as low as possible in the water and be still, but if you can get a boat in there or some kind of blind it would propably be a little better.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby super_mag » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:56 pm

rub dirt on your face and cloths and sit really still and you should be ok.
Luke
super_mag
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum