Stake Drivers or Portable Drills?

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Stake Drivers or Portable Drills?

Postby Mike Rossi » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:57 am

Whats available & what is the best to drive field decoy and windsock stakes in frozen ground? How big should the hole be (diameter & depth)? Thanks.
Mike Rossi
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:03 am

Go with the stake driver. The one I have is about four feet long with a t-handle at the top and a welded step about 6 inches above the point. I bought it from Outlaw many years ago. I have used both ground punches and portable drills.

You know the routine, we have thousands of dollars in guns, decoys, calls, vehicles, clothing, layout blinds, but we didn’t want to spend $50 on a hole punch because we have perfectly good portable drills at home. :oops:

The challenge with the drills is they do run down and it can be back breaking work to drill a hundred holes. The hole punch is a stand up operation. We have one person punch holes while the other follows with the silhouettes. Piece of cake and a good low tech solution. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

What about frozen earth?

Postby Mike Rossi » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:43 am

Thanks for the reply, but what about when the ground is frozen? I know that there is another type of hole puch which works in a similair mannor of a fence post pounder (only smaller ). I can spend another $50 on that, but Im not to keen about all that banging noise, plus those might break too. Have you or anyone else any comment about those ie., have they been known to break or fail to break frozen ground? thanks.
Mike Rossi
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:46 am

I live in KC and mine has worked fine in frozen ground. No problem at all. I guess it might be a problem if the ground was very wet before it froze solid to a depth of six inches. What I have found is that while frozen dirt/mud is hard, it is not like a block of ice. I weigh about 170lbs and by simply stepping up on the hole punch, it penetrates the frozen earth fairly easily. It might require a little wiggle on your part in the hardest section, but again, I have had no issues.

I have had no experience with the kind you pound in. :hammering:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum