G P S'S

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC

G P S'S

Postby cinrds » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:44 pm

I have been looking at GPS's. Can someone tell me what they use.

Also their likes and dislikes and what I should look for.
cinrds
hunter

Postby hm_palmer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:59 pm

I use a magellan, works great really easy to use.
hm_palmer
hunter

Postby kms399 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:41 pm

i work at gander mountain and sell gps. if you also fish i would buy the lowrance i finder h2o. easy to use water proof and floats. it has expandable memory the thing i really like is that for 99.99 you can buy the lakemaster chip and get the depth contures of 266 lakes in minnesota. i am pretty sure they make a chip for most if not all the states in the continental us. you also get the roads. this is a fairly new one on the market i think it came out like nov last year. by far our best seller.
i however have a magellan meridian gold. excelent unit however it is an older unit. i have had it take as little as one minute to find me and as long as ten. i like it because of expandable memory but you pay to get every thing you want. for me i paid 89 for the us topo software ( really quite nice you can see little potholes out in fields even) then 60 for the memory card. 250 for the unit. then i had to down load the soft ware to the computer then load it to the gps. kind of a pain. the lowrance is a pre loaded chip. just plug it in and away you go. the unit costs $230. at least at my store.

those would be my first two choices. i would stay away from garmin. there is nothing wrong with them its just that they still charge alot more for alot of the same features of these two.

hope that helps.
good luck on opener.
ken
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby greenster » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:16 pm

• I’m trying to get a hold of gamin RINO 130 easily the best GPS on market. electronic 12-channel, WAAS-enabled GPS receiver
• Transmit power: 1 watt on high power (for GMRS channels), .5 watt for low power (FRS channels)
• Transmit distance: up to 2 miles using FRS, up to 5 miles with GMRS
• 14 FRS channels, 8 GMRS channels, and 8 GMRS repeater channels
• 38 sub-audible squelch codes per transmission channel for semi-private radio communications
• Electronic compass displays accurate heading while standing still
• Barometric sensor with automatic pressure trend recording
• Detects up to 7 NOAA weather channels with weather alert tones
• External voice activation (VOX)
• Waterproof to IPX-7 standards (immersible in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes)
• Ergonomic design for one-handed operation, with Call and Press-To-Talk (PTT) and Page mode buttons on the side, Power/Backlighting button on top, Volume and Zoom buttons on front, and center Thumb Stick
• Unique Thumb Stick for channel selection and volume adjustment in FRS/GMRS mode, and quick map panning, enter and selection functions in GPS mode
• Sends and receives GPS location using FRS and GMRS channels and shows them on the map
• Stores up to 500 waypoints, with graphic identification and 20 reversible routes
• Robust track log: 10,000 trackpoints and up to 20 saved tracks to retrace user’s path or companion’s path via location-reporting feature
• Trip computer with speed tracking, sunrise/sunset read out, trip time, and trip distance
• Includes a polling feature which allows a user to manually request GPS location information from other Rino units
• Sends and receives short text notes for quiet communication
• Built-in basemap for North and South America
• 24-MB internal memory for loading MapSource detail, including U.S. Topo 24K™, U.S. Topo™, Recreational Lakes™, BlueChart®, and MetroGuide®.
• Battery life of 14 hours (typical use) on three AA alkaline batteries
• Backlit display
• More than 10 position formats and over 100 map datums
• Multiple grid formats including MGRS and Loran TD
l
Really cool you can send you position to other RINO units with in like 5miles so you buddies can find you, Belive you have to have a license to use the GMRS radio, basically like a ham radio license. but it does cost like $325
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby byebyebirdie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:45 am

I use the Garmin Legend. I have had that thing through stuff that you would never think of. It has been through gun battles and been dropped from a moving Hummer and I still use it. It has alot of great added programs you can buy as well. There is even a program that you can download to it that has hunting maps of the U.S. If you want my opinion it is the only way to go. Oh ya and it is water proof, or at least mine has been dropped in deep water and is still ticking. It is a great piece of gear to have.
"If it bleeds you can kill it"
byebyebirdie
hunter

Postby Cephous » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:08 pm

I use a Garmin but I don't think they even make the model I have anymore. Was looking at some about 2 weeks ago and noticed that they have gotten really expensive since I bought mine.
There's a reason it's called huntin' and fishin' instead of killin' and catchin'
Cephous
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:28 pm

Garmin E-Trex Legend. Wanna hear something funny? There are places here in South Dakota where you can not recieve a signal :thumbsdown: I have been out trying to mark places, turn on the GPS and wait, and wait, and wait, and it returns... No Sattelite Found. Not saying that it is a Garmin issue, just saying it is odd. Glad I knew where I was!
Joel wrote:If God wanted a lab to point he would have gave them a stick.
Penguine
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:52 pm

kms399 wrote: .. however have a magellan meridian gold. excelent unit however it is an older unit. ...
hope that helps.
good luck on opener.
ken

i use the same unit and have really enjoyed the performance. once that thing locks on you can go just about anywhere before it loses a signal. i also like the detailed track back. the magellan puts out a lot more reference points than any other GPS available (at least when i was shopping for one). the detail can git pretty useful in a stump-infested swamp or thick brush. it is very accurate too. anyway, hth!
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby TXWINGSNIPER » Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:25 pm

What about the Lowrance Go2? I dont have a lot of money and it seems to do a lot for $86.
"Shoot that son of a ???? !"
TXWINGSNIPER
Newb

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:58 pm

My dad and i use an older model but it works great, doesnt have some features though. Garmin model 72.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:07 pm

Garmin legend...well actually it belongs to my brother, but I have used it a fair amout this year. I find it relatively easy to use, but I've found cheaper models with better screen resolution. Still, the Legend is the one I'd like to get for myself. I'm not sure if it means anything...but it is the blue one.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Penguine » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:34 am

Garmand Etrex Legend.

remember though, MAKE SURE IT WORKS BEFORE YOU NEED IT. Nothing like going out in the woods, getting lost, and finding out your GPS went dead on ya. :thumbsdown:

Happened two weekends ago. Got out, marked truck, go on a hike in search of deer, pull out GPS.. dead. DAMN DAMN DAMN... no snow to back track our tracks with, took us 2 hours to find the truck. Nothing like coming up over a rise in the Hills and having your hunting buddy say "Hey, we were not next to any loggers were we?"
Penguine
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum