tule seat or chair question

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, HENDU3270, donell67, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck

tule seat or chair question

Postby Mattquack » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:08 am

I'm looking for someone that has plans for or knows of an inexpensive tule seat/chair. Lightweight thing to carry through the muck. Something that won't sink to much in the mud. I found one on the net for $80, but I really don't want to spend that much $$. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :help:
Mattquack
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:58 pm

Check out the knight duck seat or under hunting seats/chairs in Cabelas. 35.00
tstrong
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:30 pm

that was exactly what I'm looking. Thanks a million.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:50 pm

If the water is not to deep where you hunt try these: A 5 gal bucket with a hole drilled in the bottom , turned upsidedown. The hole lets the air out,not to cause a vacume. How about that plastic recycle container; its 19" high with a bunce of holes & light weight. I connect a light rope to 'em and carry my ducks out in them. (or you can use a duck strap for those xtra good days) Later...Ed
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:00 am

The knight duck seat looks good to me. I bought a different seat a few years back. It is basically a hollow tube with a seat on top. Bad design. The mud gets stuck up in the tube and the seat becomes very heavy to carry out. Cleaning it up sucked.

I think I will take it to my duck club this year with a post hole digger and permanently install it next to a tree.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:10 am

Rat Creek wrote:The knight duck seat looks good to me. I bought a different seat a few years back. It is basically a hollow tube with a seat on top. Bad design. The mud gets stuck up in the tube and the seat becomes very heavy to carry out. Cleaning it up sucked.

I think I will take it to my duck club this year with a post hole digger and permanently install it next to a tree.

Yeah, I think I saw the one you're talking about in Cabela's catalog. It's just olive drab green. It looked like it would be a hastle to carry. And it looked like it would sink in the muck.
Mattquack
hunter

Postby chicobrownbear » Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:11 am

I have a place to hunt that is an absoloute nightmare to hunt if you don't have a marsh seat. The muck is really deep, and the best way to walk in is to go around the edge of the marsh to the back side and come in to the larger open hole in the back. Solution: marsh seat on a budget. I took a small scrap of treated 2 x 6 that was about 10 inches long and nailed it to the top of a scrap of treated 2 x 4 that was about 4 feet long. I then came up from the bottom of the 2x4 about 1.5 feet and nailed another piece of 2x4 about a foot long (cross member style) to prevent my fat butt from sinking the thing into the muck too far. Instant, cheap, light, and very effective marsh seat. i put a piece of webbing on it for a sling, and it works great.
chicobrownbear
hunter

Postby Mattquack » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:07 am

chicobrownbear wrote:I have a place to hunt that is an absoloute nightmare to hunt if you don't have a marsh seat. The muck is really deep, and the best way to walk in is to go around the edge of the marsh to the back side and come in to the larger open hole in the back. Solution: marsh seat on a budget. I took a small scrap of treated 2 x 6 that was about 10 inches long and nailed it to the top of a scrap of treated 2 x 4 that was about 4 feet long. I then came up from the bottom of the 2x4 about 1.5 feet and nailed another piece of 2x4 about a foot long (cross member style) to prevent my fat butt from sinking the thing into the muck too far. Instant, cheap, light, and very effective marsh seat. i put a piece of webbing on it for a sling, and it works great.

what a coincidence! I was just going to tell you guys about the seat that I built last night. It's just about identical to yours! I'll post a picture of it tonight. I even padded and apolstered the seat, and painted the rest with some olive drab spray paint. :thumbsup:
Mattquack
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:17 am

5 gallon bucket with dove bucket seat....drill holes in the SIDE of the bucket
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:23 pm

heck just use a 2X4 put one how ever long you want it for heigh and a piece on each end to sit on and one to balance out weight.
WHACK EM' AN STACK EM'
Deadeye_youth
hunter

hunting seat

Postby Ryan_719 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:08 pm

Can somebody post a picture of a Tule Stool they have made themselves. I'm gonna make one, I just something to go off of.

Let me know, I know Mattquack said he was going to post a pictire, but that was last year. Anthing will do, I just want some information.

Thanks
Ryan_719
hunter

Postby David » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:10 pm

I built three last year like chicobrownbear is talking about, but I used treated 5/4x6 deck boards instead of 2x4's. The only thing is screw them together instead of nailing, the nails tend to try to work themselves out.
David
Lefty

Postby agengo02 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:57 pm

i think im gonna make one of these in the next day or two. gonna use all treated 2x4. ill post some pics of the process on making it too. doesnt seem too difficult.
agengo02
hunter

Return to Hunting Gear Forum