Redhead jackets

Share you waterfowl hunting gear tips and questions here. Including blinds, camo, clothing, etc... For decoys and calls, please see the other appropriate forums for that type of genre, Thanks.

Moderators: 2500hdon37s, Quack Wacker NC, Smackaduck, HENDU3270, donell67

Redhead jackets

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:56 am

I got a Redhead jacket last year and used it in light rains and it did OK. They sell the thing as a water resistant waterfowl jacket. It rained pretty good yesterday and I got partially soaked instead of fully soaked and I am sure I would have felt worse if I was not wearing high chest waders.

No instructions for care was on the jacket. Do you need to retreat these coats every year? Or do I just need a camo slicker when it is outright raining? I was out at 6:30 and by 8 I could feel my shoulders where wet and I just keep getting wetter as the water wicked through.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:38 am

cupped, water resistant is just that, resistant but not water proof. there is a pretty big difference. there are several water proof garmets available without having to go to the traditional non-breathable slicker. imo, anything gore-tex you can't go wrong with. the only problem with true waterproofing is it is typically considerably more. it just boils down to how much you really want to stay dry. personally, i invest in gore-tex outerware because i can't stand getting cold & wet! cold or wet doesn't bother me, it's when you combine the two. hope this helps.
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:31 pm

:withstupid: I totally agree, you can find good gore tex and its not that expensive anymore, and you will not get wet. If im hunting chest high water and my elbows are in the water they do not even get wet. :thumbsup:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Return to Hunting Gear Forum