Maxus Review

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Maxus Review

Postby vital_kill » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:35 pm

My cousin just got his Maxus and we went and shot it yesterday. I got up close and personal with it. We shot over 500 rounds with it, from light 7/8 OZ target loads to 3-1/2", 2-1/4 OZ turkey loads. It functioned flawlessly without any hiccups. The trigger is really nice, breaks like glass. The saftey button pushes smoothly, not stiff at all. The recoil of the gun is managable. With light loads it is feltless but you will feel it with anything beyond 3". The balance of the gun is pretty even all over, the overall weight of the gun is real light. The forearm has been slimmed down and shooter with small hand will appreciate this. The speedload and mag-cutoff is still featured on the Maxus, which I think is a great benefit and useful link. It came with shims to adjust, but I don't know if it will adjust cast, I didn't pay close attention to that. Shims is a big plus for any shotgun, not matter how great of a quality and great features it has, if it don't fit it's useless. I wish browning would install a smaller bead on, that big white bead really gets in the way. This is a 26" barrel and it points superbly. All my shotguns have no beads at all actually. He bought the matte black version and the synthetic stock is typical browning but the Dura-touch makes it have a really nice feel and grip to it. It shoots faster than you can pull the trigger and the muzzle jump is minimal. The recoil pad is nice, but I don't know how tough it will be with more use. The trigger guard is opened up more and gloved fingers will benefit from this. The coatings on the metal seems to be the same coatings used on the gold, which I find is pretty tough. How did it shoot? It patterns great. With factory chokes,it loves the Federal Premium red box best with Remington Nitro close behind. It patterned Wingmaster HD real tight, as always with the case with this shell. The lead game and turkey loads patterned flawlessly. It evened pattern some buckshot nicely, we yet have to try out some rifled slugs. Overall, it is a really nice gun and a nice price tag of 1299.99. And it looks better in person than on the catalog. Would I buy one? Yes, if I have the money and I need another shotgun. But my SBE2 is still going on strong and never failed me, so I'll stick to I know what works and let the Maxus get out there for a few years and see if there are any "other flaws" that will show. If not, then I might consider one as an all around. Browning has done a real good job on the Maxus.
vital_kill
hunter

Re: Maxus Review

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:34 pm

Check your manual before trying slugs, I believe that Browning recommends that you do not shoot slugs in the back bored barrels.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Park Duck » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Not back bored but overbored like in mossburg
Park Duck
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:02 am

Park Duck wrote:Not back bored but overbored like in mossburg

:huh: :huh:

Browning calls it "back bored" in the manual and on their site.

from their site "Back bored barrel (.742”) for less shot deformation and reduced perceived recoil"

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby buckmeister » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:24 pm

I just got to fondle a Maxus. Does not feel much different than my SX3 but when they get a 26 inch barrel camo In I will get one.
I like the speed load feature.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby JWG » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:12 pm

no slugs outa any field barrel(vent rib) period. Thats why companies gave us cylinder bores without interchangable chokes. Besides, who shoots rifled slugs without rifled sights? I don't think the Maxus has those yet?
JWG
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 pm

I purchased a Maxus the other day and it is due to arrive Monday.. I'll post up my review after shooting it next week :thumbsup:
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:44 am

waterfowlhunter wrote:

from their site "Back bored barrel (.742”) for less shot deformation and reduced perceived recoil"

I think he's saying it's ok to shoot slugs out of back bored, but not over bored. Not saying that browning calls it over bored.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:24 am

I spoke with browning about this several years ago when I had me first gold. They told me that is is not advisable to shoot any slugs in the back bored barrel and sugsested a slug barrel. he said that the slug is actually smaller in Dia than the bore and the slug can wobble inside the barrel. simular to shooting a 22 cal bullet in a 243 bore. He also said the the accuracy would suffer greatly with this combination. The reason I ask them in the first place was due to the VERY poor accuracy I was getting at 25 yds with my back bored barrel and any choke I tried.

Now they offer a rifled invector plus choke tube for the back bored barrels but say to not use winchester partition gold slugs in it. so aparently they think it is ok now to use foster and sabot slugs in the back bored barrels. I would be curious as to the accuracy with this choke tube.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Park Duck » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:05 am

Uncle Jesse wrote:
waterfowlhunter wrote:

I think he's saying it's ok to shoot slugs out of back bored, but not over bored. Not saying that browning calls it over bored.

yep
Park Duck
hunter

Postby 1dktrkr » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 am

Nice Maxus Review, Thanks. :bow:

As for the question of the INV+ choke designed for Slugs, they work just fine.
My nephew has used that choke in his Gold for many deer seasons and even he can hit deer standing or on the run with that choke. Accuracy is good, but I prefer the rifled sites of a deer barrel to the rifled choke and a bead site. If you want to save some money though, that choke will do the job just fine.
1dktrkr
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Took my new Maxus out for a test drive yesterday/today. VitalKill's inital post took care of most of the basics info and such, and from what I have seen, is quite accurate. I don't mind the white bead, though it is perhaps bigger than most beads are (or possibly the color just makes it more dominant to the eye?). The shims provided are: 2 for L.O.P adjustment, and 5 (6 technically, 1 pre-installed) for adjusting the stock for comb drop and cast.

As for the shooting, I shot this gun after installing both L.O.P. shims to fit me better, and switched chokes from full to Improved Cylinder, but did no other adjustments than that. After the quick inital cleaning and lubing, I took a box of light 1 oz. loads and mixed in some various 3 inch shells (previous gun a 3" and under gun, no 3 1/2"s bought yet), and even used some 2 3/4" heavy game loads of mixed sizes. At no point in the random changes in shell size or weight did the Maxus fail to cycle. All told I shot under 50 shells, so reliablity over the long haul is to be determined. However, Browning has made quite reliable auto's in the past and I am confident this one will be as good or better than those previous.

The gun fit ME well and I shouldered it smoothly. I also shot it well, and hit every pop can/water bottle I had throw up in the air (as did my cousin and brother). I unfortunately was low on time and did not get to shoot any clays with it, but with dove season fast approaching, I am sure that I will have more to say about the MAXUS within the next month or so.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby badgerfowl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:09 pm

picked up my maxus 28" modb 3.5" last friday. Shot 5 quick rounds tonight just to see if it worked. Nothing wrong yet, blasted the gatorade bottle i tossed in the air. Will report more after a round of clays this weekend. So far, shoulders like a dream, light, 1st time with speed load, definitely like that.
badgerfowl
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:11 am

That speed load on the maxis is appealing, My Benellii is a little stiff pushing the shell in.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:39 pm

Shot sporting clays with mine today and it worked fine, The gun does what it should but it is nothing fantastic. I will have to shoot it a couple more rounds before season to make sure there are no issues but so far I like it. I really have no use for the speed loading function as I always drop the first round in the open action and push the button before loading the mag. I am just used to doing it that way and it works well for me. I do like is the mag cut off feature, The only downfall is that you have to flip the lever to use it and if you forget to flip it back you have a single shot. With my Benelli's there is no lever to mess with when you want to change the round in the chamber, you just do it and the rounds in the mag are not effected. I like the slim forend and lighter weight of the maxus and it points just like my SBE II so that is a plus. I was hoping to notice a big difference in the two where it comes to recoil but there really was none. Both the Maxus and the SBE II (with limbsaver pad) have equal recoil with 1-1/8 oz sporting clays loads IMO. I shot about a 15% lower score with the Maxus but I shot it with the full choke were the Benelli had the Mod in it.

Overall I will say it is a gun that I am glad I purchased so far but still think the SBE II is a much better design. After 50 rounds the Maxus did have a lot of residue in the action and on the mag tube & gas system and of course the Benelli was still clean inside, but that is expected from any gas operated gun.

I will change the choke to the IC and head back out possibly tomorrow and try it again :biggrin:

it sure is pretty :yes:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby XR-2 Fan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info. Actually, saying the recoil of a sbe 2 w/a limbsaver and the maxus was the same is a complement to the maxus as far as recoil is concerned. If you put the comfortech pad back on the sbe you'd notice a big difference. I've got a maxus but haven't shot it yet and I can't wait. I did have to change the shim for a "righty"(the gun comes with the neutral shim installed) and it points much better for me now. I'm looking straight down the barrel with this shim in. Again, thanks for the info!!! :thumbsup:
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:49 pm

[quote="XR-2 Fan"]Thanks for the info. Actually, saying the recoil of a sbe 2 w/a limbsaver and the maxus was the same is a complement to the maxus as far as recoil is concerned. If you put the comfortech pad back on the sbe you'd notice a big difference. quote]

Not really, I do believe that I only changed it due to the fitting. I did not like the contoured pad but the recoil was the same with either pad as far as I can remember. I still have my OEM pad and may try it again and see if there is a difference. then again I shoot an 1187 also and it feels about the same as the other 2. My Mossberg 500 and 935 Both have more felt recoil than any of my other shotguns. :thumbsup:

More on my Maxus, I did notice that I actually have to let the forcing cone soak a bit with gun scurbber before it comes completely clean. I use a bore snake on my 1187's and Benellis and they are spotless (to the naked eye) with one or 2 passes but the maxus was odd. the barrel was completely clean with 2 passes but the foreing cone took a LOT of soaking and scrubbing to get it back to the shine of the rest of the barrel. acted like a lot of plastic was rubbed off in that area. It might take a break in period to smooth it out or I could polish it with some 440 compound but for now I am going to give it time to polish itself out. I REALLY like the way it comes apart with minimal effort. I do really like the overall feel of the gun, I hope this second generation of the dura-touch is better than the 1st attempt that had a tendency to peel. :beer:

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby badgerfowl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:28 pm

Shot clays today with the maxus 3.5". Used AA's. No problems with cycyling at all. Haven't cleaned the barrel yet so can't say anything about buildup on the cone. Did notice it when I cleaned it out of the box. Had to use the boresnake the opposite way to get the cone clean. One pass did it then. Can't compare it to a benelli, but the recoil was not noticable on clays. About the same as the browning silver as I had last year. Biggest difference I noticed is how quicker I was able to get on the second target. The muzzle jump is definitely less than the silver and even my citori. Even the guys I shot with noticed that. Equaled my best score on clays. Definitely happy with the purchase and also liked the speed load. Always wondered what the fuss was about. Not sure if its any faster than putting one in the chamber and pushing the button but it worked slick, imo. Doubt I'll use the cut off much but nice to have if needed. Gun is light and points great for me. Fit is exceptional.
badgerfowl
hunter

Postby XR-2 Fan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:21 pm

If nothing else the speed load feature looks cool anyway!!! :thumbsup:
XR-2 Fan
hunter

Postby sbinoc » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:47 pm

I just fired my new Maxus today. I have fired my friends Extrema2 and the SBE on several occasions. I thought there was considerable difference with the Maxus. I'm very impressed with the Maxus, I was a little skeptical after all of the hype the rep was telling me when I was trying to decide between the three. I fired over 300 rounds and did not feel much of a change in the recoil from the 2 3/4 to the 3 1/2 shells. It cycles extremely fast and has very little muzzle jump no matter what size shell you are using. I like the fit and feel and the speed load feature.

I can hardly wait to use it for dove season. It sure beats my Mossberg 500.
sbinoc
hunter

Postby goosefanatic » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:52 am

Hi Guys,
I really want to buy the new Maxus.... My local dealer just got one in for me. Now I am getting cold feet because it is so new and not ...well time tested... (I am a little scared of buying a brand new version of this browning and turning myself into free R & D??) I looked at it and compared it to an SX3. I think its' gas system is supposed to be based on that platform. I noticed that the gas piston and sleeve are mated together, but in the instruction manual for cleaning, it shows that they pull apart... Can anyone actually verify this... the one in the store did not want to separate. Also, on the SX3 the gas sleeve slid along the magazine tube with very little friction; caparatively the Maxus gas sleeve had a considerable amount of friction against the magazine tube. I am wondering if this is normal or a potential flaw. Can you Maxus owners check these items out on your guns and confirm for me... This gun really fits me well and I love its' looks. It is killing me not to just buy it, but I definitely don't want a lemon. Any help and/ or advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
goosefanatic
Newb

Postby duckplucker » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:35 am

Hey, in response to the ^ post, I got out my Maxus to check these things for you. The gas piston does separate from the piston sleeve by simply pulling them apart (it takes a little bit of muscle, but you don't want it to fall apart in the gun..). They can be put back together by snapping them together as well. Without having an SX3 handy to compare it to, I can't tell you the difference of the piston sleeve over the mag tube, however there does seem to be some friction between them while sliding it on. This is my first gas operated gun, so I cant say if it is difficult or not, but to me it seems just like a good fit. I couldn't be happier with my decision to buy the Maxus, and Browning didn't spend the time and money on research and develpment of this gun since 2004 for it to be a faulty gun when new on the market. Additionally they had 8 finalized prototypes that did an Argentina dove hunt, did Upland hunting, and went on Waterfowl hunts last seasons for the purpose of ensuring when the guns hit the shelves, there wouldnt be any dissatisfaction. I reccomend buying it since you seem to like the gun and its fit. Any more Q's, feel free to ask via PM or here!
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby DirtMover » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:50 am

Finally picked up a Maxus, camo, 28", so I will add my 2 cents.

Just for comparison this is my third auto loader shotgun. I went from a Benelli M1 to a Beretta Xtrema II to the Maxus. From what I remember of the M1 which I no longer own, the maxus feels similar. It is slimmer and lighter than the Xtrema and for this reason swings better for "ME" even though the Xtrema was a 26". I really like the feel of the forearm and although they measure about the same, the LOP feels shorter on the Maxus which I like. I am a lanky 5'10 weighing a whopping 150 lbs with small hands just for comparison.

To the range:
Should have taken the Xtrema for comparison but didn't. The gun seemed to swing nice and never misfired once shooting estate #8 trap loads. Shot a total of 50 rounds with no issues. Felt recoil was not an issue but again shooting light loads. Just for comparison sake my partners were shooting a Benelli Nova and a Browning Cynergy which I did shoot and the felt recoil was significatly less than both of those but I would have expected it to be. Liked the speed load feature. The one thing I did notice was that the action seemed alot louder than what I remember the Xtrema being.

Breakdown:
The gun is super easy to break down for cleaning. If you had a small punch or screwdriver ready to push the pins out, the forearm, barrel, bolt, and trigger assembly could be removed in less than 20 seconds no problem. Really liked the fact that the pins are indented to keep the punch from slipping off while pushing.

Other:
The safety is located on the back of the trigger guard rather than in front. I can see why they did this as the trigger guard is larger to accomodate gloves. Not sure I am going to like the sling attachment where it hooks to the forearm. Haven't tried one yet just a quick observation.

I am by no means a shotgun expert so take all this for what it is. My Opinion. I like the gun and I believe it fits me better than the previous guns right out of the box.
DirtMover
hunter

Postby badgerfowl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:02 pm

I'll add just a bit more here about the sling attachment. It's a little tricky to get on, at least with my gun, since I have to put some force into getting the forearm into position, but once on, I had no problems with it on the clays range. It'll be nice to have a sling on my duck gun this fall.
badgerfowl
hunter

Postby DirtMover » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:32 pm

badgerfowl wrote:I'll add just a bit more here about the sling attachment. It's a little tricky to get on, at least with my gun, since I have to put some force into getting the forearm into position, but once on, I had no problems with it on the clays range. It'll be nice to have a sling on my duck gun this fall.

My problem is I don't like shooting with a sling on my gun so I always put it on for the walk in and out and remove it while in the blind. The "tricky to get on" part is what I worry about.
DirtMover
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum