Inertia Driven Semi auto Suggestions???

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Inertia Driven Semi auto Suggestions???

Postby MOhunter13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:20 am

helllo i am looking for a good all around inertia driven semi auto. Froe duck,geese,pheasant,quail,dove, ect. I dont want a stoeger but something more advanced. my price range is 0-750 max. love the benellis but they are just too expensive. Would like 26 inch barrel. im 5'2 and 12. dont really want pump. Heard that the franchi i-12 has alot of problems. Would love to somehow find a benelli this cheap but highly doubt that'll happen. it'll be a couple years before i cant get one but just looking around and getting suggestions. DON'T want gas operated. DON'T want Charles Dayle. Have $173 right now and birthday is coming up in April.Gettin new bow in sept. so maybe i can sell my old one once i get it. Also Any suggestions on how to make a little extra cash? Thanks
    Remington 870 Express 20 Gauge=$400
    Duck calls=$120
    Waders=$100
    Shells=$15
    Grand Total= 1,000,000,000 DEAD DUCKS
MOhunter13
hunter

Re: Inertia Driven Semi auto Suggestions???

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:32 am

I would look around at used guns. The old SBE's and M1's are good guns, and if you can find one in good condition, probably fit into your price range. You also might be able to find a used m2 and sbeII.

Hit up gun shows, find guns that look good. Literally, make sure it looks good, if you see rust on it, thats a sign it wasn't taken care of. Scratches on the finish, thats a sign it wasn't taken care of.

Also, any reason you're looking only at inertia driven? Beretta makes some nice gas guns, as does browning. You can probly get a new Beretta 390 for the price range your in.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:33 am

Your are starting to run out of options for the inertia guns. Only ones I can think of, are the M2000 by stoeger, Franchi makes I-12, and then of course the Benelli line of autos.

Mossberg 935 is a decent gun
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby MOhunter13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:41 am

ok thanks. no specific reason on gas guns just that iv heard you have to clean them alot more and well i dont have a whole lot of time to do that. what exactly is the difference in gas and inertia driven?
    Duck calls=$120
    Waders=$100
    Shells=$15
MOhunter13
hunter

Postby killerv » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:20 am

as a general rule, gas guns are going to kick you less assuming you are shooting the same load as you would in an inertia driven gun, but with all the new stock technologies like comfortech, etc...inertia driven guns aren't as bad kick wise as they used to be I don't think. Basically, gas guns use the gases from the round going off along with a recoil spring in the stock to work the action where intertia guns use only the recoil spring in the stock or a spring under the forearm. Don't think just because it is inertia driven you still don't have to take care of it if you want it to last you but in my opinion they are easier to clean than gas guns.

You shouldn't have a problem finding a nice used benelli in that price range.
killerv
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:38 am

Get a used Benelli, hands down.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 60's hunter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:45 am

Hey Hunter13-----I agree with Killer, you have to take care of a gas or inertia gun, and a used beretta can be very reliable.
My opinion-----look for a used beretta or benelli. Good luck.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Killer was correct in his taatement that gas guns typically absorb more recoil than inertia, but both have their advantages and shortcomings.

Basically gas guns use some of the pressure or gases from the shotshell to push a piston rearward and cycle the action. Inertia guns use the recoil force to do the same operation. Typically speaking an inertial gun will operate cleaner and can run a little dirtier while gas guns generally need to be a little cleaner and can dirty up a bit more as some gas can work into the action....but there are exceptions to that rule as well. That is a rudimentary explanation but you get the gist.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby ALLDRAKES » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:37 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:Get a used Benelli, hands down.

YEP !!!!!
ALLDRAKES
hunter

Postby MOhunter13 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:19 pm

where in the world are you guys finding benellis in my price range at? :huh:
    Duck calls=$120
    Waders=$100
    Shells=$15
MOhunter13
hunter

Postby TROB » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:27 pm

you're 12, and have $173.... use your dads extra gun for the next 8 years then buy something.
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:53 pm

I've seen used M1 Supers in that price range every now and then. A buddy of mine is trying to get rid of his (wood stocked) with less than 500 rounds through it in that ball park. I haven't seen it but I may post it on here for him (with pics) if he hasn't already moved it.

Deals are out there but you hust have to find 'em.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Mohunter,

You can find a Benelli M2 without the comfortech stock in the price range you are in or slightly more. I bought one for my son for Christmas this year for $899 before tax, but saw one in the Academy sales paper for $750 right after Christmas. If I wasn't so impressed with my Beretta, I would have went and bought the $750 one for myself. Still might!
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Green Ducks » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Yeah I would look for an M1 or SBE. I have the M2 and honestly I dont think the comfortech does much of anything. Either that or go to a walmart and pick up a beretta 3901.
Let the Benelli eat
Green Ducks
hunter

Postby killerv » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:36 am

I found a very nice used camo M1 20ga with about 150 dollars worth of barrell work done to it (forcing cone and ported by angle port) for 550 out the door a couple of years back. Needless to say, I jumped all over it. I don't take it out a lot, just on those up close and personal woodduck hunts but its a sweetheart. Good buys are out there, just have to look.
killerv
hunter

Postby fishduck » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:21 pm

My suggestion whould be DON'T BUY a inertia gun. They are not all they are cracked up to be. Look at the guns people use to compete with in sporting clays. You won't see any inertia guns there. They are hard on the shoulder and not very reliable.
If you don't want a gas gun get a used recoil operated gun like a Browning A-5 or a Remington modle 11 or a mohawk.

By the way I think you are afraid of gas guns on bad advice. I have a buddy that shot an 1100 for 10 years without cleaning it and back then we hunted about 5 days a week.

Good Luck,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby realtown12 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:15 am

Fishduck,
can you please clarify the difference between an inertia driven semi and a recoil driven semi as you pointed out? Not being a smartass, I just thought they were one in the same and would appreciate the education.
thanks
Realtown
Let's see what the day brings.
realtown12
hunter

Postby TROB » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:06 am

realtown12 wrote:Fishduck,
can you please clarify the difference between an inertia driven semi and a recoil driven semi as you pointed out? Not being a smartass, I just thought they were one in the same and would appreciate the education.
thanks
Realtown

he can't......its the same thing and he is retarded..
Idaho...
TROB
hunter

Postby fishduck » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:55 pm

I am by no means an expert. Inertia driven is relitivly new and made by I believe by one company and I believe similar to recoil operated but not the same.
For inertia driven the inertia of the gun moving back is what ejects and loads the gun. Look at the benelli website they have a video that shows and explains it.
For recoil operated the gun does not move but the recoil moves the barrel and bolt back to eject and load the gun. On a recoil operated gun you can put the butt plate on the ground and push down on the barrel to eject the shell. Recoil operated guns have been around for along time.

Throb, I believe it is different. If you don't that's fine but why would you call me names?

Good Luck,
Fishduck
fishduck
hunter

Postby gcs » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:33 pm

When I was 12, I just barely learned not to piss into the wind.
Try getting something you can afford WHEN the time comes, you got a lot of growing to do and plenty of time to figure out what fits and suits you best. Don't let an internet education make you think you know what your talking about.
Sorry if the truth hurts. :biggrin:
gcs
hunter

Postby ohsay » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:40 pm

You fellas should read this. It will explain things better for you.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/autoloading_shotgun_actions.htm

Might take a minute to load, their website isn't very fast.
say what?
ohsay
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:34 pm

my brother has an old m1 super 90 that he bought for 350
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:48 am

Ditto on Ohsay's link for a proper explanation. Recoil and inertia driven guns operate on variations of a single principle using Newton's law as the operating energy (his "for every action there is an equal and opposite action" law of Physics). While the intracies of each do vary the result is basically the same compared to using the gas to operate the gun (see my previous post).

As for sporting clays autos being predominantly gas, this might be somewhat true in some places as there are more manufacturers of gas autos than inertia, but to say you won't find "any" is simply wrong...just drive down to Deep River in Sanford on any given Sunday and you'll see just as many Benelli Legacy as you will Beretta 391's. The main reason you might see more gas guns on a clays course is the reduced recoil afforded by the gas action but there are plenty of inertia guns out there.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:45 am

Find a used but in good condition M1 super 90. You could eve find a decent SBE for just a couple hundred bucks more :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby joshco84 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:53 pm

find a used m1, black eagle one, or a berreta 390 series gun. You can also buy the 3901 at walmart for around 500 new and if i am not mistaken it is pretty much the same gun as a 390.

I have a 935 and love it, but do not buy it for what you are wanting. They tend to not like quite a few of the lighter loads and can be a little finicky.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum