BPS Stalker...talk to me

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

BPS Stalker...talk to me

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:38 pm

I have been looking at the BPS stalker 12 ga. for next season. It's specs are nearly identical to my 870 express except it has top tang safety and bottom-eject. This I like!
What I am curious about is mainly the finish. They have a matte finish similar to the 870 which are showing to be rust-buckets for some people. Not mine, but that's not the point. How does the finish compare to, or excel against the 870 Express?
Any other points you'd like to mention? Help me decide whether I put one on lay-away for next season, or If i continue my search for another 3.5 capable gun with top-tang safety.
Thanks in advance.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:16 pm

The finish is a matte, but not like the Express. As much as I like the Express models, the BPS has a much better finish on it. I have a BPS 10, and also like the tang safety, although I have to get used to the transition to it from the trigger guard safety on my Gold or 11-87. I'm a righty, so the bottom eject I could care less about, although it is much easier to pick up hulls that way. If you pick one up, you will notice that even a 12 is a bit heavy, but the parts are well made, and well put together. One heck of a shotgun IMO, and would be in my top 3 pump guns to have.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby vah2ofowler22 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:38 pm

i have owned both. After having the 870 for so many years, i couldnt adjust to the bps. Loading the shells at the bottom, seemed to hard to remember, and the safty was not that great either. The finish on the bps is better that the 870, hands down. But over all i had to stick with the 870. I just didnt like the bps. I work at a sporting goods store and i bet i sell 8 (870s) to 1 (bps).

Good luck with your decision
vah2ofowler22
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:03 pm

you sell more 870's because they are cheaper, and the BPS is advantagous / draws the interest of left handed shooters. I do not own a BPS, but I think it will be my next shotgun. I'm left handed, I reload (Pickin up shells will be easier), and I am a believer in the thumb safety. It is also the smoothest pump I have ever operated (in stores).

The 870 is also a good gun. personally I don't care about the finish too much--I can kill just as many ducks with a rusty gun. I don't own one, but the gun I use (S&W 1000p) was modeled after the wingmaster. Fine gun. It comes down to how much you want to spend on a pump. I have seen the BPS as low as $349 at basspro.
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:16 pm

THe BPS stalker has a base MSRP at about $450. Imho, that's not toobad. It would certainly be the most expensive gun I would own, But I enjoy the relative ease of a thumb safety. I am not left-handed, the idea of bottom eject would be nice in the blind. At least I may not have to worry about my shots hitting anyone else!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby lars » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:19 pm

i got a new 3.5 26" BPS for this season- CANT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT!
The finish is that new soft camo-forgot what it is called, but i love it. it never gets slippery, no matter the conditions.
and the bottom eject is wonderful- i had mine out in pretty much a torrential downpour this weekend, and at the end of the day after 3 hours of holding it, the inside was completely dry.
and since i took it out of the box-- no problems, no jams!
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby PharmD10 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:21 pm

I have a BPS stalker for over the last 5-6 years. Never one single problem with it. I've shot 870's, but overall youre not going to beat the quality of a Browning compared to Remington. I find the sfty on the BPS very easy to operate. if youve ever wondered, "is my gun on saftey or not", you wont have to with the BPS, because its right there at eye level when shooting and easily flips off. Also, it is the smoothest operating pump around. I'm not knocking an 870, because they are good "knock around" guns, but I guess i'm just partial to a BPS since I've had mine for so long.
PharmD10
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:02 pm

Trois_beaux_canards wrote:...The BPS stalker has a base MSRP at about $450...

I realized that this price is for the 3", not the 3.5" which goes for about $579
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:50 pm

MY buddy just bought a new BPS matte finish and he said he's never shot a gun like it before for a pump anyway!!!
he's had it in every type of weather imagineable and has had no troubles with rust of anything like that. The only thing he said is that scratches show easy, but if your a duck hunter u gotta expect scratches on a gun!!! plus he throws it in in the boat and all that so i would deffinetly consider buying it if you're looking for a good reliable gun!!
it shoots 3.5 with an ease 2!!!!!!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby DROPDUX » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:30 pm

DROPDUX wrote: I don't own one, but the gun I use (S&W 1000p) was modeled after the wingmaster. Fine gun.

screw the BPS get a Smith and Wesson 1000p! :laughing: :laughing: if you can find one. :yes:
DROPDUX
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:50 pm

Well I looked at it (S&W), but I don't think so. THey don't look as if they have 3.5" capability.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby sailorathome » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:39 pm

I own both an 870 Express Super Mag (3.5") and a BPS Stalker (3") (both 12 ga, both 28" barrels). I bought both shotguns NIB. The BPS is smoother and has a better finish. New, they cost about the same. If I could still shoot pumps, I would shoot the BPS.

I have the BPS for sale at $270.00.
I have the 870 for sale at $225.00.
Ducking hunting since 1950, still going. I am not a FFL Dealer
sailorathome
Newb

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:49 pm

yer sellign both guns? Or am I just confused?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby sailorathome » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:47 am

Yes, I'm selling both guns. Age and health have stopped my ability to shot the pumps. I have switched to semi-auto's 3".

Also have a Mossberg 500A, 12 ga 28" barrel - $200.00.

I have pictures if you want - texb@iowatelecom.net
sailorathome
Newb

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:28 pm

Bump. Any thoughts from you recent DHC enlistees?
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby sailorathome » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:56 pm

All guns are sold.
sailorathome
Newb

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:58 am

Trois - great gun!!! i agonized for an entire year before buying a new shotgun 2 seasons ago. i had in narrowed down to the BPS and the NOVA. i ended up getting the NOVA..mainly because it was lighter weight and slightly less expensive.

however..i am a huge fan of the tang safety and not a trip goes by that i didn't wish that my NOVA had that feature. (it's only drawback IMHO.)

I hunt with 2 guys that both own BPS'. never seen a problem with one rusting or misfiring/jamming.

:salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:46 am

Heavy? No doubt, I've held it many times. It is definately no grouse gun. Not unless I start pumping lots of iron.
What I can't get over is how smooth it is. Like butter! I've also wanted the ability to fire 3 1/2's for some time now.
The BPS just seems like the one I want. I'm not closed minded about any other gun but right now, I sure am biased :mrgreen:
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:27 am

Thougth I would jump in to this mix. I have 2 BPS and one 870 as we speak. Owned 2 other 870's, ,a Nova, and another BPS. For the grouse gun seriously look at the Upland game special, ,I use this in 12ga for quail and ducks on occasion. 22" barrel, english stock, cost about $400 at Sportsmans wharehouse if you can find one. Its lighter and is so quick to shoulder.

I also have a Stalker 3.5 with a 30" barrel that doesn't get shot enough, may trade it for a 10ga. I am in the believers that a slightly heavier gun allows you to follow through a little easier and more naturally than a lighter one so I like the weight. I'm not a little guy either tho so its easier to carry a shotgun to the marsh that weighs as much as a small child. It does have a 30" barrel.

But saying that I have yet to have a problem with a BPS other than getting used to loading and ejecting shells out the bottom of the gun. You can't find a more reliable pump.

But its all about what feels good you you and what you can afford.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:35 pm

an 870 currently, and though I find the barrel somewhat long for grouse (at 28"), I have other guns at my disposal for busting brush in search of the wiley grouse.
I have in mind to ose the BPS stalker for ducks and geese, maybe the occasional small game.
Thank you for all your help folks. all the comments have been nothing but positive.
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Mike M. » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:59 pm

I have an older Browning BPS from before they came out with the invector +. Mine has standard invector chokes. I bought my gun used 4 years ago as my primary waterfowl gun. It is a good gun, I don't think you will be dissapointed.

I am left handed so the shells ejecting out the bottom are great. I originally learned to shoot with a side by side so the tang safety came naturally to me and I love the safety on the BPS. The finish is also very good. Much better than an 870 express IMHO. My BPS with invector chokes pattern steel terribly. I have since upgraded to Extended Skeet II choke. Much better patterns with steel. I hunt on the coast with my gun and the gun does not have any rust issues. I clean my gun just like any other guy, no special treatment, just take care of my stuff. No rust issues and the gun is 10+ years old.

I have had a few minor issues though that I would like to share with you. A couple of times the plastic plug got caught up with the spring and I ended up with a jammed gun. I tightened the spring with a pair of plyers and that has seemed to solve the problem. I did purchase a sure cycle magazine kit but have not used since my gun has not broken again. If you do get a sure cycle, do not get the browning one as it will not fit. I purchased a benelli kit per advice of sure cycle. The spring and follower fit but the plug is too small which would make it illegal for ducks as I can put more than 3 shells in. Thus I am still using my stock spring and plug. According to sure cycle now, they recommend a REM MAG kit for a BPS but the plug still will not fit right out of the box. You might have to do some modifying.

Just wanted to share my experience. The BPS is a solid gun.
Mike M.
hunter

Postby John Peddie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 9:07 pm

Mike M

My experience is similar to yours...learned on a double, love the top tang safety.

I'm right handed, bought a used Ithaca 37, loved the bottom ejection thoiugh not the cross bolt safety.

Now a BPS.

Top tang safety and bottom ejection.

I'm small, so bought the 20 ga youth model with 22" bbl.

Over decoys, with IC choke, works like a charm.

Just don't take any long shots.
SAFETY FIRST: RELAX!!!

There's lots of birds, and you don't want to have to explain to your buddiy's wife that you just made her a widow.

Control the muzzle, and check the safety.

Your life depends on it, and so do your buddies'
John Peddie
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:18 pm

Has the design remained relatively unchanged? Why would a benelli or remingotn plug work better?

Thanks for the responses...even the negative. It's good to know what to expect. I am still really set on this gun. I love that it is smooth as butter, but the patterning issues from Mike M concern me. I do realize however, that each gun...no matter the make or model will have variations in performance.

So please, keep it coming. The good the bad and the ugly!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum