PATTERNMASTER CHOKES?????

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

PATTERNMASTER CHOKES?????

Postby texan68 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:01 am

How much do these chokes cost??????
texan68
hunter

Postby snowygoosehunter » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:39 am

I think they cost around $70-$80
snowygoosehunter
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:30 pm

there's a ton of threads about pattern master's there like 85, but well well worth it, imop anyways, deffinate differnece!
phillipstd
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:46 pm

could someone explain to me what they do?? Why are they better than standard chokes???
texan68
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:32 pm

The main thing that seperates these and other similar chokes is they strip the wad away from the shot column and they don't have a constriction .
Because steel weighs less than lead we get more pellets per ounce. This makes for a longer payload in the shell. If you try and constrict this through a convention choke it makes the column of shot even longer. The idea is this, don't constrict the column of shot by not squeezing it through a choke like full or mod. and strip the long wad away from charge as it leaves the barrel . In doing so you eliminate the long shot string and put more pellets up front where it counts. I have a "Wad Wizard" Swat 12 and it works great. Pattern Master makes one for the 3 1/2" shell. Because of the longer wad on these shells the wad stripping device strips the wad away a little sooner, resulting in a shorter shot string and a devistating killing pattern, the very reason we shoot 3 1/2" shells in the first place.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:50 am

HI guys. Only 1 ? Why shorten the shot string if only 10 to 20 pellets are going to hit the bird anyway? Reading all the post that say draw a circle and see how many pellets hit inside a 10" for some reason just don't add up. The pattern should still be the same. thats like a train going down the tracks. if a car hits it, it don't matter if it is 10 boxcars long or 200. impact zone is still the same. a longer shot string i think would be better.more of a chance to hit the target. the way i see it, practice, practice, practice. :thumbsup: learn to lead a bird a boxcar if its long shots that u prefer. please advise more on this subject. :salude:
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:44 am

Patterns are 3 dimensional, putting a pattern on paper dosn't tell the whole story. If you can put 20 pellets in a bird at 35 yards I need to know what shells you are using. The idea is this, if you shorten the shot string more pellets will be up front to provide a denser pattern producing cleaner kills. It's all about killing birds at longer ranges not just hitting them.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby plainsman » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:44 pm

Jim Broadbridge wrote: It's all about killing birds at longer ranges not just hitting them.

I'm glad somebody pointed that out. The patternmaster is by no means a great "all-round" choke. It's mean't for reaching out there, not for "in your face" shots.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby jazzibear » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:16 pm

i have one in my nova(the extended range one). and absolutey love, i've not takin it out since i got it. wether it be backyard skeet, or ducks, or geese. it says to shoot #2 and bigger. unless the ducks aren't wanting to cooperate, i shoot 3 inch number 4's and it is deadly, knocks deader than a door nail. i love mine and would recommend them to anyone.
jazzibear
hunter

Postby GanderCommander » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:41 pm

The Patternmaster or Wad wizard, different brand same concept, are wad-retarding devices, technically there is no constriction to them. They are not for extending the range of any particular type or size of pellet but rather delivering all the pellets to the bird at the same instant. Think of it as how many pellets do you want to hit the bird at 40 yds 60%, 80% whichever (pattern density), now how many do you want to hit at the exact same time (length of shot string, longer shot string means more chance of pellets not hitting target at the same time). These type of chokes (wad retarding) do work well, they apply a large amount of lethal force at the same instant.

Think of it this way, which would your rather be hit with a wall of steel or a spray of steel pellets. Well the wad retarding choke creates more of a wall of steel effect than a regular choke.

I noticed it when shooting at a pattern board made of plywood. I could flip the board end over end with my wad wizard, but with my full choke, I could only get it to sway.

To back up the concept, notice that Federal is coming out with a new wad systems that "slows" the wad down as soon as it leaves the barrel. Same concept. I fully expect that there will be recommendation to utilize these new wad systems in improved or skeet chokes. Producing in effect the same "wall of shot" lethality. The tight chokes is what actually produces the lengthy shot string, and when birds are zooming by a long shot string is not preferred. Now for you guys who only shoot the birds dead zero straight on with not horizontal or vertical movement....well you guys stick with modified or full. I'll use my wad wizard
GanderCommander
Newb

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:57 pm

:withstupid: This man understands the concept behind wad stripping chokes. :thumbsup:
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby GanderCommander » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:58 pm

Thank Jim, I'm just here to help! :thumbsup:
GanderCommander
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum