benelli's for life

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:08 pm

Maybe where you hunt. The only goose pits or blinds I go in is with a bunch of guys who like to kill birds. Have you seen many others have problems with Benelli? Maybe yours is just a dud?
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

benelli

Postby texas_quackwakker » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:39 am

I own both a benelli nova and first edition Super Black Eagle. They are both fine guns.....the Nova is without a doubt one of the ugliest shotguns on the market but, it does excactly what it is supposed to do...WORK!

The SBE is only a year old, (no malfunctions to date), I use it like a duck gun...then I clean it after each outing. No problems. For what it is worth, I also own a Browning Gold auto....no problems with it either.

Take care of your equipment, it will take care of you!!

Happy Holidays
texas_quackwakker
hunter

Postby Big Josh » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:49 am

I've been using Benelli's shotguns for the last 6 years, great guns, the only negative side I have experienced was to get replacement parts, it took 6 months to get a MonteFeltro recoil spring, it had to be ordered from Italy, that recoil spring was unavailable nowhere in NORTH AMERICA.

I am seriously thinking switching to another gun brand.
Big Josh
22 years of
hardcore waterfowling
in 4 Canadian Provinces
Big Josh
hunter

Postby BLKLABMAN » Sun Dec 26, 2004 8:39 pm

No problems at all out of my SBE II's. One has been shot alot and the other only a few shells thru so far. I have hunted here, SD, and AL this year with one of them in different weather conditions with a single problem. Patterns Great with factory Crio and aftermarket chokes, and kicks the same maybe even less than a BGH ,I rarely ever use anymore. A great shotgun. Wifes MI 20ga is flawless as well.
But if push ever came to shove, I'd still pick a BSS over any shotgun out there, or any I own.
BLKLABMAN
hunter

Postby fabes468 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:29 pm

wow sounds like a good gun but my browning BPS has also been in mud and freezing water and it shot perfect as well :thumbsup:
fabes468
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 4:15 am

Well you know what........I use a Mossberg 835 ulti mag and I shoot a crap load of shells through it...(relativly new to waterfowling and I miss alot)...it goes through horrible conditions and I have never had problems with it...never! I've had it for 7 years now. Maybe I have a "good" Mossberg, but I'd put it up against anyones $1000 gun for servicability. The Marines use Mossbergs to shoot at humans, which I did in my 10 years, so I figured why not when it came to animals..?? NO one and I mean NO one has put there shotgun through what we put our Mossbergs through.
Just wanted to give you guys something else to jaw about on here because this argument on guns is pure 100% opinion and I believe ANY shotgun in a capable hunters hands will kill.
Everybody be safe and goodluck with their pusuits. :salude:
huntmq1
hunter

WIth u

Postby tealslayerblw » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:06 pm

im with u duck plucker if u guys take that terrible of care of your guns theres something wrong i mean u cant Gripe when they jam if u let it soak water up in the bottom of the boat of drop it when ure settin the dekes ever heard of leaving the gun in the blind when ure setting them out :toofunny:
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:48 pm

My SBE is awesome--I'm just a lousy shot. :oops: Can withstand a tremendous amount of abuse and cleans up easily. Have a knowing gunsmith drill a hole through the bottom of the stock, about 1/8th worth, up and through where the spring is. This will allow drainage for all you non-sticky fingered fellers. The recoil is rather rough in the off season with clays---funny dont notice it after pulling on ducks.
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 7:39 pm

yeah true hvacfowler those 3.5s kick like a mule when target practicing, but you dont notice on ducks. i have a recoil reducer also so that helps.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodie1 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:54 pm

yeah i've liked my nova but it's time to pick up an auto anyone want it otherwise I'll trade it in on the new gun. It's a great gun but i want an auto. I put a carlson long range choke in and it helped with the short barrel to get a tighter patern to kill geese.
Woodie1
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:14 pm

Beautiful....I forget who it was who once said, "Opinions are like a**h***'s.....everyone's got one" Whoever it was couldn't be more correct! There are as many opinions as there are guns, if not more. Fact is, some people know how to care for their guns. Then there are the others that couldn't give a flying hoot about them cause, "hey, whats another $1200 bucks? I'll just buy a new gun next year!" And there are many different types of users in between. SBE, SBE II, extrrema, or 870 pump, it is the shooter, not the gun. But, thats just my two cents!
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:50 pm

duckplucker wrote:Some of you dont seem to take to good of care of your guns... please tell me that after you drop them in mud, ect you check to make shure the barrel isnt plugged. if not thats just ridiculous. I know $/?t happens but there is a lot of dropping of guns, etc going on.

I was wondering the same thing.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:35 am

I love how quick people are to judge guys on the web. Ever had to walk out to an island or walk through puck to get a shot on a cripple? Yep, I am hard on guns, that is why I have an upland gun and a waterfowl gun....
Anyone here ever actually sit in a few inches or a foot of water while hunting? Sit in the reeds?????? I hunt about 50 times a year, so if I have dropped my gun 5 times out of 500 times hunting its not that bad. No one ever said when they drop it it's loaded.

My gun is unloaded until shooting hour, and unloaded immediately after, same goes for anyone I am with... how many days until the season starts again???

:salude:

Duckhunter16 wrote:
duckplucker wrote:Some of you dont seem to take to good of care of your guns... please tell me that after you drop them in mud, ect you check to make shure the barrel isnt plugged. if not thats just ridiculous. I know $/?t happens but there is a lot of dropping of guns, etc going on.

I was wondering the same thing.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:15 am

I was not judging anyone. I was just thinking that some of these guys who have really nice guns sometimes don't treat them as good as they should in my opinion. I have a Mossberg pump and a Benelli nova. And I will admit to not treating them perfect so I really can't judge some one for the way they treat their guns. But it really makes no since to me why some one would spend $1,200 or more on a gun and then treat it like crap. And for your information there has been more than once that I set on a bucket in clump of reeds in 2ft of water for 10 or 11 hours just so there wouldn't be any prejudging going on.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:06 am

my nova i have is still doin good, taken a beating fell in the water and even tho it rattles it still shoots like new.
duckbuster
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:32 am

I am a stickler to the max on taking care of equipment especially guns. I have guns that have seen heavy field use for 20-30 years and the only ware is from caring it in my hands. Many people do not take good care of their guns or clean them like they should. :pissed:

With that said I have dumped my waterfowl piece in the drink a couple of times. Usually it is from taking a spill while navigating some tough areas. This year I had it unloaded setting on a bucket and my partner backed into it and knocked it into about a foot of pond slop mud. :oops: The best one was when I was hunting in a belly boat in a crick. The water was about 5’ deep and I was struggling to get a duck out of some floating reads when I dropped my gun. :help: It stuck barrel first in the bottom, but I was able to get my foot into the sling and back paddle with it hanging on my foot until I reached shallower ground to retrieve it. I though I was going take a swimming in 40 deg. water for a while there. :toofunny:

The point is that water fowling or any extreme condition hunting is hard on equipment. I don’t have problems when I am in a nice blind with a dog doing the work, but when you are chasing cripples or hunting where no one likes to go you need equipment that can take some abuse and expect that at some point it well. Some people don’t take care of stuff and some are hard-core and can’t help but have some mishaps given the conditions and that’s why the make rugged guns with rugged finishes. :thumbsup:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

SBE 2

Postby MinnDuck » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:13 pm

I used to shoot a browning gold, worked fine never had any problems with it. The day i decided to buy an SBE 2 is when my buddy took a spill off a 4-wheeler at 30 mph and threw his gun and it endowed about 10 times, all the shells got jacked out, and it stuck barrel down in the swamp. He picked it up and yes did swab the barrel out took the SBE 2 apart ran some swamp water through it and shot it the rest of the day. Trying to compare the beretta extrema is pointless. Pick up a beretta extrema then pick up a Benelli, why would you want a Beretta. Benelli are much lighter and more compfortable. Granted this is my preference. To me beretta's are more of an upland gun and a benelli is a waterfowl gun. There is something in comom about these stories you fellas are sharing here about abusing their guns and the guns still operating. The common dominator is that they are all BENELLIs.
MinnDuck
hunter

Postby bitman33 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:25 pm

I just bought a sbe and its never jammed on me once. But I Only used it one day. Shot 3 shells Killed one snow goose. Only time will tell if its the best gun I ever owned. :yes: I own a benelli nova never jammed on me once.,also own a remington 11-87 that also never jammed on me. There's alot of good guns out there. Its just a matter of taking care of them. :thumbsup:
bitman33
Newb

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum