Narrowed it Down to two

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Which one should i get?

Spartan
76%
Charles Daly
24%

Total votes : 17

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:30 pm

Just like you would normally do to clean a gun. You will need to remove the trigger group to clean it, but don't have to disassemble it. Also, make sure you clean the gas piston. There will be a diagram in the manual that shows you what goes where. You can also go to EAA Corp.'s website and download the manual in Adobe Acrobat format.

It may sound pretty bad now, but once you have the gun in your hands you will be extremely surprised at how easy it is to take down and just how few parts are in it. Unlike a lot of other gas operated autos.

One more bit of info... If you're looking for something to clean the cosmoline out look for an aerosol can called Premium Gun Action Cleaner by Rusty Duck at Wal-Mart. Make sure you only use it on the metal parts and not the plastic. As for a lubricant I use CLP which is also at Wal-Mart. Just spray it on and wipe the excess off.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:39 pm

There is no more to taking it apart than much anything else the barrel, forend main house spring the action comes right out on a slide and thats it unless you are going to pull the trigger assembly out which only requires removing two pins, I have only had mine out twice in four years. Very easy to take apart and clean.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Elmer Fudd » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:30 pm

Gooseboy, if you do buy the Spartan make darn sure you clean that gun very well. Before they are sent to the U.S. they are packed with a rust inhibitor call cosmoline that is as thick as vaseline. 90% of the problems I've read about these guns are remedied when the new owner takes the entire gun down and cleans it better. Also, there is a break-in procedure that calls for shooting at least 150 rounds of shells with 1.25 oz. of shot or larger before attempting to shoot the light 1 oz. dove loads. Since it's duck season I'd just clean it up and start shooting.

OL'Yeller is right..... Cheap imports do come packed with this stuff...it keeps the salt water and/or moist air from rusting it before it gets sold.
Not saying cheap imports are bad ...I own a couple
Elmer Fudd
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:25 am

Yeller I am just saying that there are better guns than charles daily and spartan. And of course they cost more money. If you only hunt a couple times a year buy the cheapest thing. But if you hunt alot and you are rough on your guns buy a good Quality gun. Remington, Barretta, Mossberg, Benelli. All I am trying to say is just think about it
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:54 am

kcduckslayer, I re-read my post and it sounds a little rude and I didn't mean for it to come across that way. I am honestly just trying to figure out what makes a better gun than a Baikal/Spartan.

If you're into the fit and finish part of a gun then, yes, there are definitely a lot better guns out there for you, but should that be a deciding factor on what a great gun is? If you're wanting a hunting gun what does fit and finish matter?

All I'm trying to say is the phrase "You get what you pay for." doesn't apply to the Baikal/Spartan. The gun is worth more than twice what you pay for it. I would gladly (well maybe not gladly) pay $700 or more if they raised the price that much.

I have shot or own/owned 870's, 1100's, 1187's, A5's, Model 11's, SX2's, SBEI's, SBEII's, 935's, 835's and quite a few more. I have yet to shoot a gun that is as cost effective and reliable as the MP-153. Sure, a lot of those guns listed above look better. I won't deny that, but damn is it hard to beat a $340 auto that goes bang each and every time I pull the trigger no matter what kind of weather I'm hunting in. I save "pretty guns" for skeet shooting and dove hunting. Not for humping it in mud and water all day. :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:15 am

I dont really know that much about Baikal/Spartan. I was assuming that they are is crappy as the charles daley because they were in the same price range and same comparison. That being said. Yes I like pretty guns. But they stay in the safe. I am more a guy that like function than how pretty it is. I was just wanting him to buy a gun that will last thru all of his abuse. Sometimes you have to spend a little more to get better funtion. That is all I was trying to say, Anyway just stay away from the Charles Daly and you should be fine.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:59 pm

Could i use gun scrubber to clean it?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:34 pm

Yes, Gun Scrubber should work just fine.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:25 pm

THANKS FOR ALL THE INFORMATION GUYS! HAVE SOME GOOD HUNTING! :thumbsup:

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby TXskilletwacker » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:40 pm

I've heard of a few guys having good luck with a Daly, but in my opinion...you'd be better off rolling 3 $100 bills and smoking them! cause you're gonna blow that $ and be just as sick when it busts on you!

i bought one to get me through a pinch, it did good throughout 2 dove seasons and 1.5 duck seasons. i took it pheasant hunting and shot 1, ONE, 3" Winchester Supreme - copper plated #6...that one shot broke the hammer spring and the firing pin! :pissed: talk about being P/O'ed. So, I managed to save some cash and combined my savings with a couple of guns that i rarely shot and made the local pawn shop owner a deal for a Benelli! best money i've ever spent!

if you really want a dependable, value priced gun, buy an 870 or 1187. you really can't beat 'em! :thumbsup:

Good Luck with your search!
if i could make a scented candle, i'd make call it... gunpowder in the sunrise! or wet dog, swamp mud and gun smoke!
TXskilletwacker
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:49 pm

I have an 870, and my dad has an 1187 and they both are awsome!

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Rookie » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:14 am

I don't know much about the Spartan or Charles Daly guns, but by most of the replies they are cheaper guns that may not be as reliable. If you need a gun in a hurry then maybe get the Spartan (more people here are saying it is the better of the two guns).
If you are looking for something to be reliable for the long haul, spending a little more for a more reliable gun may be a better idea. This is my first year of hunting and it seems I was in the same situation as you, wanting the best gun for the least $$$. It ends up that I spent the extra $$$ on an SX2 3.5" synthetic from Winchester (same as the Browning Gold more or less) and have not had any sort of a problem with it.
My suggestion is to spend a little more $$$ once and have no problems rather than spend a little $$$ several times on replacing guns. If you ever want to sell the gun for some reason, the higher priced one may be easier to sell based on its more reliable reputation.
Dinner with the girlfriend or hunting in the mud with the dog ? Hmmm, not much of a choice. Lets go, get your leash !
Rookie
hunter

Postby jds » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:52 am

I’ve owned and carried a Beretta Extrema 391 and also a Baikal MP153 into the swamp over the past 4 years. The Beretta was an outstanding firearm that shot very dependably in all weather conditions. I will also say that the Baikal MP153 will perform with any magnum autoloader made anywhere in the world. This firearm is the best buy for a magnum shotgun or any other firearm I’ve seen in my over 30 years of shooting/hunting. The Beretta cost me almost a $1000 and the Baikal from CDNN 2 years ago was $269. I bought the MP153 because I had some extra money and a morbid curiosity regarding how much of a piece of junk the firearm would be for that cheap price. We’ll believe it or not… I sold the Beretta last year because of the dependable service of the Baikal. Plus the fact that I don’t need a thousand-dollar shotgun setting around as a backup gun. My duck hunting friends can’t believe how my MP153 has performed while hunting over the past 2 years. This shotgun shoots dirty and when it’s in the single digits. It patterns both steel and non-tox as well as any shotgun I’ve ever owned or seen. It dependably cycles from 1-1/8 ounce trap loads up to the heaviest 3-1/2 magnum shells with out a hitch. My one friend Dale who has a Benelli SBE has nicknamed my MP153 “The Russian Tank” because of its dependability in some very bad weather we have hunted in. For the guys who post don’t buy one… They probably never have shot one. If they did… They certainly wouldn’t be calling this firearm a piece of junk. I once thought when it came to magnum autoloader shotguns you got what you paid for… Well now I know why this shotgun is one of the best selling autoloaders currently on the market today. I guarantee that Remington is going to do very well with this firearm regarding sales and customer satisfaction. Just go on some other message boards like shotgunworld or waterfowler.com and you’ll see the testimonials on how really well the MP153 is built and shoots. The gun is a keeper.
jds
hunter

Which one

Postby mjlduckman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:03 am

I bought the Beretta Extrema II this year and it's an awsome gun and should last a life time, as for the others i can't really say, i havn't had much exposure to them. My winchester M120 for $75 back in the early 80's has done it all also and no problems. What ever you get, make sure you take good care of it, clean and store properly and you'll have the gun for a long time.

Gooseboy you can find almost any manual online if you don't have the orginal or just call the company and they'll send ya one. Try www.brownells.com they have a lot of diagrams as does www.remington.com for all their guns. Good luck
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:12 am

To add to mjlduckman's post you can download the Baikal/Spartan manuals at http://www.eaacorp.com.
ol' yeller
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum