New Gun

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

New Gun

Postby quackhead05 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:29 am

Looking at buying a new Automatic soon. I know am on a tight budget so I was wanting to know what yall tought were some good "CHEAP" guns for duck hunting?
quackhead05
Newb

Postby Citori12 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:14 am

Good and cheap do not usually go together well. There are some inexpensive ones out there but I can attest to the mossberg and the winchester as being the most inexpensive ones. Personally, I am a fan of the more expensive ones Browning, Berretta, and the one I use is the 11-87. If you buy a used one in good shape it can be easier on the pocket book. I have used my 11-87 for 17 years and have not had any issues and its killed alot of ducks and geese. As well as an average of 1000 rounds of sporting clay use a year for 8 of those years.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:49 am

in my opinion its not worth having a cheap one, save up till you can get a good one. with all the jaming and miss fire problems your going to have it will turn you off all together. wait til lfit is your most important factor not money!!!
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby Boomn4x4 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:02 pm

I'd suggest a Charles Daly, or a Spartan. There are a few posts out there showing the plusses and minus of both, you can pick either of them up
for about 420, plus or minus.
Boomn4x4

Postby jjohnson_714 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:33 pm

i'd also look into the stoeger m2000, i dont know a whole lot about them but their parent company is benelli, so it cant be a complete piece of junk...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby vikingsfan » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:00 pm

My mossberg 935 has worked pretty well so far, i like how it shoots, and i've shot great with it. Shot a triple on all drake gadwalls last weekend.
"keep pissin i'm reloadin!"
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby Canadian Quacker » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:29 pm

:welcome: to the site quackhead05!!

CQ
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby Elmer Fudd » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:54 pm

Hey the same... :welcome: quackhead05
Good bunch of folks on this here forum..some bark alott...but dont bite too hard :toofunny:
Elmer Fudd
hunter

Postby quackhead05 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:41 am

Hey thanks guys! Thanks for the input as well. I priced an 11-87 (which is what I want) and I have three prices. One $798.00 at a sporting goods store another $697.00 at another sporting goods store and third $498.00 at Walmart. Why the price difference? Well hope to hear from all and have a MERRY CHRISTMAS :salude:
quackhead05
Newb

Postby Earl » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:57 am

I do not know for sure but i have herd that the reason wal mart is so much cheaper it that they get the seconds. The stough that just bearly makes it past the quality controle people.
Earl
hunter

Postby ILWaterfowler » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:56 am

Are they all chambered the same? It is possible that the most expensive one is a 3.5" while the other 2 could be 3" chambered, or some combination like that. I guess I can attest to Wal-Mart having some cheap guns. I saw them selling a (I'm pretty sure) new SP-10 for $800 dollars initially, and then it went down to $650. I wish I woulda had the money for it. Even if I had to buy a bunch of new parts for it, I think I could have come out on top in the end.
ILWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:57 pm

I purchased my 11-87 at wal-mart many moons ago. If walmart has the same grade and chambering as the sporting goods store there is no reason not to take walmarts price. I bought mine for 100.00 cheaper than a sporting goods store. The only thing I have done was purchased a second barrel for it at cabela's and I have not had one bad thing to say about mine. I say if walmart has what you want in chambering go get it there. The warrenties are the same and so is the gun.
Citori12

Postby alabamabronco » Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:51 am

yea 11-87 is a good gun...go ahead and ge it so i can shoot it :mrgreen:
alabamabronco
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:54 am

I have a hard time believing that firearms manufactures let "seconds" go out the door given thier liability. I would think that they would not allow that for purposes of the possiblity of being sued for a faulty firearm that could cause injury to the shooter or someone else. Now I do believe there may be blemishes on the wood and maybe the finish...but my 11-87 I bought from walmart has been hunted hard with for several years and I sure you cannot see the blemishes through the dings and scratches heeeeee :getdown:
Citori12

Postby Grant48 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:22 pm

Citori12 wrote:If walmart has the same grade and chambering as the sporting goods store there is no reason not to take walmarts price.

The guns at Walmart are exactly the same as the ones you'll find anywhere else. Their prices are often lower than other places because they buy in such huge quantity from the manufacturers that they're able to buy them cheaper, and pass the savings on to the end consumer.

A place that I love buying from is Academy Sports. Its a sporting goods chain in the south. Alot of people describe them as "the Walmart of sporting goods." :smile:
Grant48
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:13 pm

First of all I have never purchased a new shotgun in the fall. Once I decide what I want I wait until spring and go shoppin. After checking on the manufactures suggested retail price vs the price I think I can afford I go to the major dealers and ask if that is the best price they will give me. Because I have so many sporting goods stores in the area. I go to them all. Take the lowest price quoted and see if anyone will beat it. Unfourtunately the last few guns I purchased were good over and unders and you do not see em at walmart. But I still paid 400.00 under manufactures suggested and got good prices on the gun. I do the same when I buy a truck. I make them sell it to me I do not buy them. The reason I never purchased a gun in the fall cause after I get them out of the box and clean them up I go shoot them. So by fall I am already comfortable with the fit and function and can comfortably hit what I am shooting at. I am never in so much of a hurry that I will pass up a bargin on guns, trucks, houses, fingernail clippers. I can attest walmart sells remington shotguns that as good as the ones you see at any other sporting goods store.
Citori12

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:00 pm

I would git the Moss. 935...

Infact Im gittn one fer my old man in a month or two :thumbsup:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:55 pm

Well gentlemen personally, I think I am done as far as shotguns go....I have all I will ever need for years to come. And one of those shotguns that have never failed me for many years is that old Walmart 11-87. It was the first expensive gun I bought and I put it on layaway waiting for my income tax return. Its served me well and bottom line. it still can out perform my browning white lightning when the chips are down.
So again buy what you can afford and buy what you fits you and do not give a hoot where it comes from. A remington is a remington and in my book one of the better firearms manufactures out there. On another forum I saw some bad press on the benelli nova....you cannot argue with buying good steel at a fair price.
Citori12

Postby tank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:48 am

Walmart buys 1000s of them at a time. They'll buy an entire lot of them. So if a certain lot has a bad spring or what ever, they might all have a problem. I think this is where walmart got buying 2nds rumor came from.
(I'm just guessing on that)

If that's what you want and you don't have all the money,lay it away, I don't think there's a charge for that.
Try to get what you want, if you don't, down the road you'll probably still want one.

tank
tank
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum