Is it Possible?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Is it Possible?

Postby orphanedcowboy » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:32 am

With all these new aftermarket chokes available, Is it possible that the constriction is too tight? I find I hit more ducks with the factory chokes than with the Patternmaster. I also know that I am not that great of a shot and this probally lends more to the problem than the choke does. I am wondering what y'alls take is on the subject. Thanks
orphanedcowboy
hunter

choke constriction?

Postby mjlduckman » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:59 pm

It's possible that it's to tight for the size of shot your using. I've found that if my choke constirction is smaller than .710 i can't shoot anything bigger than #4 shot (Beretta and Remington factory chokes). So i use #4 #5 and #6's with the .710 and tighter. Then #3 and #2's in .715-.720 and BBB-BB with a .725-.730 choke. So try some different size's of shot and payloads and see what works best for ya.
May the skies above you; be blackened with birds
mjlduckman
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:34 pm

I can't hit anything with a patternmaster at 15 yards. I did one day though and their were no cripples if you know what I mean. A choke is a tool, pick the right one for the job.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:18 pm

Patern Master chokes are not designed to be shot at very close targets, if you are not too good of a shot you will most likeley be beter off shooting the factory chokes, something like an improved cyl will make a much better shot out of you ( bigger patern so your shooting doesn't have to be as precise). Pattern Master tubes are made to shoot larger shot sizes and they realy don't have any choke to them they strip the wad from the shot colum and allow the shot to go out in one big wad rather than having a long shot string. They claim with smaller shot they shoot about like a modified choke.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:48 am

:salude: :thumbsup: I agree with ks-waterfowler, use the right choke for the job. I am not a big fan on tight chokes with steel. I prefer to have some pattern. Most of us average shooters can take birds just fine inside 40 yards which is about right for IC or Mod and for me I actually use skeet chokes with steel on the majority of my duck hunting. Too tight of a choke and if you hit you may have pate'. I have a buddy that uses full chokes and 3" #2 steel for all his waterfowling and there has been a few birds he has taken that wouldn't be very good table fare. I never accept his birds. But he usually either blows them up or misses. On longer shots his crippling rate is just a s good
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby tank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:01 am

I've stayed away from after market chokes, I hate to spend that kind of money and don't know if they'll be any better then what I have.
If they would give you the measurements it might help. How do you know what they conceder and extra full choke, or what ever is, compared to what the factory chokes.
I would bet there's a lot of different chokes that didn't work out, in a guys gun junk drawer.

tank
tank
hunter

Postby John Peddie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:39 pm

The vast majority of hunters are both over gunned and overchoked.

Lighten up a bit and you'll do way better.
SAFETY FIRST: RELAX!!!

There's lots of birds, and you don't want to have to explain to your buddiy's wife that you just made her a widow.

Control the muzzle, and check the safety.

Your life depends on it, and so do your buddies'
John Peddie
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum