Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby MAX4Utah » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:38 am

I just want some feedback on how reliable you camo dipping has been and how well the quality came out. I am considering getting it done to my 870. Thanks for your input!
User avatar
MAX4Utah
hunter
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm


Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:58 am

my friend just got his back a few days ago from getting his benelli done in opti-fade like the elite bows and it looks awesome and held up good this morning when he bashed his gun around
here is the color of his-
Image

i also am going to get my 870 dipped like his but in max-4
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
hunter
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby slowshooter » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:01 pm

I had mine done. Really nice fellas did it. It fell of in hunks.

I just bough some rustoleum to patch it this weekend.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby MAX4Utah » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:26 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:my friend just got his back a few days ago from getting his benelli done in opti-fade like the elite bows and it looks awesome and held up good this morning when he bashed his gun around
here is the color of his-
Image

i also am going to get my 870 dipped like his but in max-4


Post up your 870 after you get it done, thats exacly what i am going to do.
User avatar
MAX4Utah
hunter
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby bulldog18 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:29 pm

i SENT A CUSTOMERS GUN TO TARJAC TO GET DIPPED IN MAX 4 HD AND IT CAME OUT REALLY GOOD. hAVEN'T HEARD OF ANY DURABILITY ISSUES WITH IT.
bulldog18
hunter
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:39 am
Location: SE Kansas

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby william costa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:00 pm

if the coating came off in chunks they did not prep it right.if they are any kind of good business they should re do it for u.i give a year warranty against peeling and flaking!it should never peel or flake.its normal for it to wear on the hi spots or sharp edges but it should never come off in chunks!or they used piss poor paint products for base and clear coat.prep is the key and there should be no short cuts taken buy the decorator!i sanded by hand when i started but now i bead blast everything quicker and better for adhesion.
william costa
hunter
 
Posts: 487
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby wtrfowl07 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:17 am

Here is my American SBE2 dipped in Mo Oak Duck Blind Camo. It has done good so far this season. I shoot a long range patternmaster out of it.
Attachments
camo benelli.jpg
User avatar
wtrfowl07
hunter
 
Posts: 1561
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby slowshooter » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:51 pm

william costa wrote:if the coating came off in chunks they did not prep it right.if they are any kind of good business they should re do it for u.i give a year warranty against peeling and flaking!it should never peel or flake.its normal for it to wear on the hi spots or sharp edges but it should never come off in chunks!or they used piss poor paint products for base and clear coat.prep is the key and there should be no short cuts taken buy the decorator!i sanded by hand when i started but now i bead blast everything quicker and better for adhesion.


Hi,
Yeah, it was a tough call for me. It didn't last more than a couple of hunts. But I made the call to live with it as I wasn't going to be without my favorite shooter during the hunting season. As much as they may have done a lousy prep job I can't send it back as too much time has passed and it's easier for me to patch up..

Just gonna scrub the metal with lemon juice and steel wool to remove the rust and then hit each spot with some rustoleum primer. Then some krylon camo paint.

Personally think that camo dip done right is absolutely the best thing going. If any of you have been across a pond and watched some guys barrel or receiver flash everytime he moves you know what I mean.

Sounds like you have it right William. Wish I had gone to you instead. Also, I won't say who did the job for one reason... I don't see complaints about their work and figure mine was an anomaly. No point in dragging them down if they are now doing great work.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
User avatar
slowshooter
hunter
 
Posts: 9011
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:44 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:58 pm

wtrfowl07 wrote:Here is my American SBE2 dipped in Mo Oak Duck Blind Camo. It has done good so far this season. I shoot a long range patternmaster out of it.


I'm going to have my M2 Field done in MODB aswell...or another pattern very similar to it. Looks good :thumbsup:
Jonesy
User avatar
njonesy_07
State Moderator
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm
Location: OR

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby MAX4Utah » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:06 pm

Would you who have had their gun dipped be comfortable doing it to a brand new gun? I want a Maxus, but im not to keen on the MODB pattern. I want a MAX4 Maxus :biggrin:
User avatar
MAX4Utah
hunter
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:36 pm

MAX4Utah wrote:Would you who have had their gun dipped be comfortable doing it to a brand new gun? I want a Maxus, but im not to keen on the MODB pattern. I want a MAX4 Maxus :biggrin:

i feel the exact same way, i love the mauxs but hate MODB
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
hunter
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby njonesy_07 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:35 am

MAX4Utah wrote:Would you who have had their gun dipped be comfortable doing it to a brand new gun? I want a Maxus, but im not to keen on the MODB pattern. I want a MAX4 Maxus :biggrin:


Why don't you get the Black matte model and use it for 1-2 years then camo dip it? A camo really isn't necessary to shoot ducks, but the camo coating does help prevent against rust and makes cleaning a breeze. I've hunted with my M2 Field over a year now...I practically wore the matte finish off the barrel I've used it so much. I'm waiting until next spring to send it in to get a camo dip of my choice. Unless you have the extra cash to be throwing around, Id hold off on the camo dip before you invest.
Jonesy
User avatar
njonesy_07
State Moderator
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm
Location: OR

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby tbarto » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Does anyone know if this will void your manuf warrany?
tbarto
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby Carolina SBEII Shooter » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:22 pm

What barrel length is that on your SBEII? I have a 24" with an extended Patermaster and am also thinking of having mine done in Mossy Oak DB
wtrfowl07 wrote:Here is my American SBE2 dipped in Mo Oak Duck Blind Camo. It has done good so far this season. I shoot a long range patternmaster out of it.
Carolina SBEII Shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:07 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby 10gaugemeow » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 pm

I havnt got my shotgun done by costa but check out his website he doesn great work with dipping and it looks thicker than the stuff ice seen on factory guns.
Charlie sheen for president 2012 !!! ^_^
10gaugemeow
hunter
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:06 pm
Location: Seminole GA

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:10 pm

I have had 2 guns done in Natgear by Camo Solutions www.camo-solutions.com
My Beretta 390 is going in next week and I think I am going to have it dipped in the original Mossy Oak Shadowgrass

Here are some pics
Before
Here are the before pics of the xtrema. I know it is hard to see, but on the barrel the finish is rubbed through in places to the bare metal. Some parts of the gun still look good, but alot of the gun is they shiny light tan color.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

After
He even did the choke tube. It looks awesome.
Image

Image

Image[/QUOTE]




Beretta 390 20 ga
Image[/
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
User avatar
ks_waterfowler
hunter
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: T-Pain's Boat

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby 940AC » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Had my M2 dipped over the summer.
I like the quality, and was done local by a guy in Lake Worth, TX.

Image
Image
User avatar
940AC
hunter
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:39 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby MAX4Utah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:10 pm

All your guy's guns look really good! No doubt, i will get my gun dipped :thumbsup:
User avatar
MAX4Utah
hunter
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:53 pm

I sent my SBE to Color & Camo and they dipped it in Max4. That was just before this season started. Hunted all season with it and it looks just like it did when I got it back from them. They did a great job.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby MAX4Utah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 pm

10gaOkie wrote:I sent my SBE to Color & Camo and they dipped it in Max4. That was just before this season started. Hunted all season with it and it looks just like it did when I got it back from them. They did a great job.

Chris


How much did you pay for the job?
User avatar
MAX4Utah
hunter
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby 10gaOkie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm

$200 to them which included return shipping. It cost me $16 to ship to them. I sent it to them dissassembled. I did not send the bolt, recoil pad or magazine parts. I did have a problem with them though. They did not email me to let me know they got my gun in the mail. So I called and he acted like "why was I calling him"? I dont have time to talk to you now. That p__sed, me off so unless I get desperate, I wont be sending them another one. I need to send my black Gold 10 in next so I will be sending it to Midwest Hydrographics. They charge less and dont have extra charges for extra pieces such as the bolt, magazine cap or choke tube. The best part is they offer a lifetime warranty on their dip job and offer a much quicker turnaround time. Much less than 6 weeks. A friend of mine got his back in less than a week. They dont offer Max4 but they do offer Boggy Creek which is simular.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby tbarto » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:03 am

How much does Midwest charge for a shotgun. I didn't see a price list on their site? Or I couldn't find one. Thanks.
tbarto
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby 10gaOkie » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:53 pm

After seeing pics of a guys gun done by them here on DHC, I emailed them asking various questions and they quoted me $150 per shotgun. This includes doing the extended choke tube, magazine cap, bolt and assembly/dissassembly. They told me a max of two week turnaround time. I am torn between choosing Boggy Creek or Predator Gray for my Gold 10.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter
 
Posts: 3116
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:38 pm
Location: OKC

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby dukhntr » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:54 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:I have had 2 guns done in Natgear by Camo Solutions www.camo-solutions.com
My Beretta 390 is going in next week and I think I am going to have it dipped in the original Mossy Oak Shadowgrass

Here are some pics
Before
Here are the before pics of the xtrema. I know it is hard to see, but on the barrel the finish is rubbed through in places to the bare metal. Some parts of the gun still look good, but alot of the gun is they shiny light tan color.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

After
He even did the choke tube. It looks awesome.
Image

Image

Image





Beretta 390 20 ga
Image[/[/quote]
That extrema looks awesome!! Is that your primary waterfowl gun? How old is it? Never seen one that looked so wonr. Looks like a workhorse
User avatar
dukhntr
State Moderator
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 7:16 pm

Re: Who has had their gun camo dipped?

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:21 am

A fellow DHC member I hunted with over the weekend [Mallard_Warrior] informed me that there is a local shop in Springfield, OR that does camo jobs. I'm looking up more info but I like the idea of a local camo job then having to send it off and worry about s/h costs.
Jonesy
User avatar
njonesy_07
State Moderator
 
Posts: 4559
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:45 pm
Location: OR

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: d_money and 30 guests