Metal protection???

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Metal protection???

Postby Bill B » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:39 am

I have, for years, been using Birchwood Casey "Sheath" for metal protection and it seems to do the job, but I'm wondering if there is something superior? I don't care for "Sheath" as a lube, as it seems to get gummy and collect trash. The past several years I have been using "Rem Oil" on the internals. Am I missing out on better products? Thanks for your opinions.
Bill B
Newb

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 11:42 am

Personally, I am a fan of Break Free lubircant and cleaner. It was actually developed for use on the military's vulcan cannons. I wipe down the exterior with a very light coat. Its freezing and boiling point is very very good. I use it very sparingly in very cold weather on my autos. Its not sticky or leave residue for particles of dirt to collect. However, with any lubricant if you over do it, dirt can collect.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Elmer Fudd » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:36 pm

I use G-96 gun cleaner....Its a very light oil/cleaner that doesnt freeze.
Its just hard to find any place to buy this stuff.. I get it off this very old gunsmith in my area..
Elmer Fudd
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:58 pm

Sounds good Elmer. Hey is it specialty stuff or can it be purchased in my area? I love checking out new stuff. I think the most important thing is taking care of my firearms, decoys, waders and things...that go with this sport. I hate spending money and not having it season after season. I would like to look at this stuff and give it a try.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby MrCamoClad » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:38 pm

I've been using Rusty Duck Lubricant on my 870 for a few years now. It seems to work very well.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Wags » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:24 am

Militec-1. Never thought I'd start using synthethic lubes on my firearms, but this product is great! Have been using it now for a few years. I live and hunt in a cold and wet area. All kinds of weather. My Auto-5 runs like a swiss watch. There are a lot of good products out on the market to choose from.

www.militec-1.com
Wags
hunter

Postby T-Bone » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:52 pm

CorrosionX :yes:

It will actually dissolve soft rust on contact and bonds to the metal to serve as a barrior. I hunted N.W. tidal marshes for over 25 years and it is the best rust preventative that I have used.

www.corrosionx.com
T-Bone
hunter

Postby Abzack » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:46 pm

Try Tri -Flow with teflon spray, also spray your gun down with silicone and lightly wipe it down works great for me and all I hunt is salt marshes!
Abzack
hunter

Postby Humboldt Scaup » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:00 am

I go with Bullfrog. It was developed by the military for their firearms. They have several products. They have a rusthunter that comes in a spray can like rem oil and break free and it works pretty well for taking off rust and keeping it off. Also they have a rustblocker that comes in a spray bottle. It basically does what sheath does where it puts a little coat over the gun and prevents the elements from getting to the gun. It has a little tacky feel to it but does the job. I hunt on the coast so you need something extra to help fend off the elements. Bullfrog and Breakfree are my #1. Ive used rem oil but it doesnt do the job as well as the others. Just stay away from WD-40.
The ducks are right there. Where? Right there. Where? OHHHH they're right there.

I think the ducks will be better off flying straight.
Humboldt Scaup
hunter

Postby Bill B » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:43 am

Thanks for all the replies. I'm making a list of the suggestions and checking it twice. I have been happy with the Sheath for rust protection, but I'm always looking for better products and I will be trying some of the suggested brands. I hope you all had joyful and rewarding Christmas.
Bill B
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum