Problem With Shotgun...........HELP!!!!

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Problem With Shotgun...........HELP!!!!

Postby Lepricon » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:43 pm

I have a Benelli Nova 12 ga and i have been having problems with the safety. It wouldnt go into safety at all this morning so i took the gun apart and lubed some stuff up and i got it working but it is really hard to get to go into safety and just as hard to take off safety. Anyone else ever have this problem???? Any suggestion on what i can do to help would be great.
Thanks
Mike
Lepricon
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:51 pm

Maybe try working some solvent into it and dry it with a hair drier...Benellis websight has a forum that can be REALLY usefull...That piece is all one unit and not meant to be taken apart. Get er fixed while theres still time :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby tank » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:21 am

I don't know about the Nova, but with my shotguns. If you have access to an air compresser get a can of brake cleaner (for cars) at about any place that sells auto parts. (wal-mart)

Spray the heck out of it while moving the safety on and off. Then blow it off with air. Use a good gun oil and down the same with it.
Don't want too much oil, it collects dirt.

You could probably do it without the compresser, just not as good
Break cleaner will eat certain materials, but I've never had or heard of a problem. My son uses it on his Nova.

tank
tank
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:05 am

The Benelli nova has been experiencing problems....over the years I have come to purchase several inexpensive shotguns. One thing I have learned you get what you pay for. In many cases the selling point for shotguns has been price, chamber length (they seem to like the 3 1/2" 12ga) and synthetic stocks. I would send it back to benelli however from experience the customer service at benelli is pretty poor at best.
good luck with the safety.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby CrackerJackShot » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:12 pm

I have a Nova. Had it for a while. I havent experienced ANY problems.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby Rick Egner » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:14 pm

Push harder weiner boy, tonto
Rick Egner
hunter

Postby tank » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:09 pm

C-12, I agree with part of what you say, but when do you start paying for the name.
Any gun that works the way it's suppose to, is a good gun. If a guy only turkey hunts, why pay 1000s to shot a few time a year.
I try not to be a brand or gun basher (not that you are) This is the forth year (I think) that a friends been shooting a stoeger M-2000, never a jam.This year he had it not to fire. It was -0 and he had too much oil on the bolt and the firing pin, spring, or what ever. It just froze up. Took the shells out and dry fired it a half dozen times and it was back on line.
The only problem with Nova's are their recoil pads. Their like truck tires.
Don't need a recoil reducer, they just need a good pad.
I would like to see the Stoeger P-350. For close to 200 dollars(on sale) they may be a good buy. With the lack of steel parts and wood stocks, I can't see where any high dollar guns are a good buy.
They're cheaper to make and they act like they're doing us a favor.
tank
tank
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:22 pm

Believe or not I actually have shot a benelli nova.....would not own one on my life....but then I relied on an m-16 for one also...would not count on that gun on my life either even though it saved my butt many times.
If your shooting for food your better have something worth while so every shot counts.....if you shooting to keep your sorry butt alive shoot something that you can count on.....I have those guns that will never let me down...none is a Ar-15 in .223 but they do not shoot far but they shoot better than I can....I had a mossberg years ago and I wore it out shooting trap.....for a mere 500 rounds o but that is what I could afford then...now Heck give me a jap or italian gun....naw I do not think so even thought the boys at the sporting goods shop will sell ya one cheap. :thumbsup:
Citori12

Postby tank » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:39 pm

Glad that you made it thru alive. Most that did relied on the 16 had very little to no firearm knowledge. Most don't know a lot after ward. But they did know the limits of the round. I didn't have to go to the big swamp as the guys that I was drafted with and brother did. They don't know what the 223 Remington is. Seems the ones wearing the ball caps were all camped miles away from the action. Have one that didn't even know how to load an M15.
I have the up most respect for our fight men, but these behind the lines camp bunnies, taking the (glory and credit are the wrong word ) respect grip my butt. US 56-986-742

Now with that out of the way. If a guys happy with what he has and don't leave cripples, Who cares what he uses. If it works for him, it's ok by me :thumbsup:
I know guys that's used mossies a long time and still using them without any problems.

You tell us what we should buy.
( were not agreeing on a lot, but no pissing match :thumbsup: )
tank
tank
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:41 am

It is not my place to tell someone how much money to spend or what kind of shotgun. Its just I hear some not so good things about some of the popular brands right now. To tell the truth a good shotgun should be made of steel and not alloy's. But that is my personal preference and since I have been able to afford a better quality shotgun I have not worn one down, nor had mechanical difficulties with it. I am the first one that would admitt that an inexpensive shotgun can be a good hunting tool. but more often than not after some hard use they just don't hold up. in my case I go through over a 1000 rounds of ammo through a couple of mine every year long before duck season opens. I want a gun that can do that year after year.
Citori12

Postby tank » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:26 am

Good Post,

Sorry we took over your thread Lepricon

I live too far to shoot much, had the grandson throw some, he's too young. Maybe next year. Those spring throw ones are more work then it's worth. Just before shell's go on sale. This is when I get mine. It's part of the up coming season, reading about new shells, looking for the best buy's and so on. I shoot for a pattern , then I try to get a few clays thrown.
I work in an aluminum alloy grain refinement foundry and know just a little about what your talking about. Things have come a long ways, I own a plastic gun,and it suits my just fine. Don't want a pretty gun for my fowl hunting.

I too like good wood and a dark blued steel gun.
Lepricon please start another thread and we'll stay off it.
tank
tank
hunter

Postby Zirkels » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:43 am

Lepricon,

I too use a Nova and have recently experienced some problems with mine and have found the customer service at Benelli to be of no use I sent them a question over two weeks ago and still have no response. The safety mechanism on the Nova seems pretty simple and I would guess that there is probably some debris jammed in there.
Zirkels
hunter

Postby Nova Shooter » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:14 pm

I have a Nova that had a problem a few weeks a ago. A spring was rusted shut but I did not know that and called Benelli about it. You have wait on hold for about 10 min. before you get someone but I found them to be very helpful. I did manage to get the spring unrusted. It was my fault for I had not cleaned the gun for about two months and I hunt an avrage of three times a week.
1 John 15+17
Love not the world, neither any things that are in the world. If any man loves the world, the love of the father is not in him. 17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth forever.
Nova Shooter
hunter

Postby tank » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:27 pm

My son has hunted with one for years and has only had one time it didn't work right, I don't remember what it was. We were able to fix it in the field
He got a 9 (what ever ) Franchi and had a lot of trouble with it, and Benelli was great. He just got a lemon and they did him right. He has an sbe2 now.
tank
tank
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:25 am

Your CD should have a lifetime waranty. Call them and should send you a postage paid return package for you to ship it to them it. So long as you didn't make any changes to the gun they should fix it free of charge.
Boomn4x4

Postby Lepricon » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:19 am

Rick Egner wrote:Push harder weiner boy, tonto

Thanks Uncle Rick. :yes: :thumbsup:

And thank you all for your post. Very good info from all. Looking into some of the things posted and will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks again.
Lepricon
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:10 am

Send the gun to Bennelli immediatlly!!!!

I have a nova I was using for a backup gun that had the same problem. The safety stuck at first and then for some reason, when I shucked the gun It would go off (like the firing pin was stuck). The first time it happened, I thought I was imagining it. Second time I had a guy watching me. Third time I was just loading it. Put the shell in. closed the chamber, hevishot 3 1/2" went off and kick the gun into my thigh (nice bruise). Lucky I knew wich way it was pointing. Finger was no where near the trigger. Sent it back to Bennelli and they replaced the whole shooting mechanism. Have not had a problem since.
Thundersnow
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum