Anyone else have a sticky BPS?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Anyone else have a sticky BPS?

Postby waterfowler82 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:40 pm

I've had difficulty ejecting a spent hull from my BPS while duck hunting. Where I hunt the water is salty with a lot of sediment and soil is a very fine dusty powder, so I know that my shells aren't as clean as they could be, but do try to keep them clean. It can be tough to pump them out sometimes, like the brass is hung up inside the chamber. Have any of you guys experienced this phenomenom and, if so, how did you treat the problem?

I do clean my gun after every hunt and pay special attention to cleaning out the chamber as well as possible.

Thanks,
Justen
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:06 pm

I had the same problem a few years back. The ejector arms on the sides are what my problem was. You have to pull all the insides out to get these out. The two long pieces that run along the ejection port had dirt behind them and they could not go back enough to let the shell out. Maybe not the same thing but this is what fixed mine.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby greenster » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:44 pm

If your shooting 3 1/2 try using 3" and see if it helps. if so take gun apart clean everthing. prob just some dirt and mud in it.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby John Peddie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:40 pm

Could also be the ammo. The "brass" heats when you fire and if it doesn't cool quickly enough, or is a tad oversize, you may have a problem ejecting.

Try test firing it, and next time it jams, wait a minute then try pumpimg again. If it works then, try another brand of ammo.

I had problems with Kent a few years ago, but solved that in a hurry: no more Kent!

(I don't shoot steel, so that was either bismuth or tungsten, don't recall).
SAFETY FIRST: RELAX!!!

There's lots of birds, and you don't want to have to explain to your buddiy's wife that you just made her a widow.

Control the muzzle, and check the safety.

Your life depends on it, and so do your buddies'
John Peddie
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum