question about mossberg 835

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

question about mossberg 835

Postby Daniel Peterson » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:47 pm

I am in kind of a demlima-I am trying to decide which is the best of two shotguns. one of which I plan on buying. the two shotguns are the mossburg 835 and the stoeger P-350. they are both in the same price range with both shooting 3.5
I am not really that familer with stoeger. but I heard that the p-350 was a cheapers spen off of the nova shotgun. I like its looks but I am hesitent because I am wooried that it might be just another cheap foregn import-it looks like a nice shotgun though.

I am leaning toward the mossberg-mainly because I have owned a 20 ga 500 that I will swear by. it has never failed or jammed once in any hunting situation.

I have heard of some of the older 835's had trouble with ejecting and had a rough trigger pull. but then again I have heard that mossberg has fixed a lot of the early problems. thats what I heard in varous forums

Which of these two guns do ya'll think is better? also does anybody have any serous problems with either of the shotguns? AND PLEASE DONT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE 870(LOL)

I want a tough shotgun that can get thrown down in the mud picked up and still shuck shells!
Daniel Peterson
hunter

Postby Butchhe » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:04 am

I have an 835 (I have not handled a p-350) and can tell you that it can take a beating. Since they are in the same price range, sholder them both and see which one your eye lines up with the best. That was how I chose my 835 over the 870 (sorry, had to say it)!
Butchhe
hunter

Postby critter stuffer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:26 am

don't know anything about the 350 but i did own an 835 mossberg when they first came out and yes there were problems with the ejection. They might have solved that by now. Another BIG problem I had with the 835 was that they didn't design them very well for left handed shooters. The release button to open the chamber for unloading the gun was located right behind the trigger guard on the left hand side and when you speezed the gun when shooting the chamber would open up before the gun went off. If your left handed check to see if they still locate it there. I think your better off with a Remington 870, but that is just an opinion.
critter stuffer
hunter

Postby critter stuffer » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:31 am

OOPS, I forgot that you didn't want to hear anything about the 870 so ignore that comment about it. Actually I shoot a Browni;ng Gold but it may be a little pricey for what you have in mind.
critter stuffer
hunter

Postby Daniel Peterson » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:24 am

I am going to go get the mossy at the first of the year

Thanks for the help
Daniel Peterson
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:48 pm

i used to own an 835..shot it for 2 seasons when it was actually functioning. i had problems with the ejector screw falling out....even after being affixed with Loktite. it STILL fell out.

i also had a problem with it trying to feed 2 shells out of the tube at the same time. by this i mean that the first shell would load into the mag and the second would follow it out and either jam the feed or just fall out into the mud.

it was big..heavy..cumbersome..and it felt like i was shouldering a 4ft long section of 2x6 instead of a gun.

the only positives i can say about that gun was that it had a thumb actuated safety and that some sucker paid me 100 bucks for it when i sold it.

now, it sounds like you are thinking about spending around 250 for a gun. why even consider the stoeger knock-off of the Nova? don't get me wrong...i have a Stoeger Condor O/U that i love and the Stoeger2000 is supposed to be just as good a gun as the SBE it imitates. i am sure the pump will be just as good a gun. why not get the benelli Nova and be done with it? it doesn't cost much more.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum