28 GA. for puddlers

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

28 GA. for puddlers

Postby duckweed » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:05 pm

i was just wondering if any of you think that a #2 3" 28 GA. will kill a duck. i will be shooting 15-25 yards and will be shooting fast. using an over and under. i have shot pheasants and dove just want to know if i can use it for ducks.

Thanks William
BUY A GUN, PISS OFF A LIBERAL!
duckweed
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:54 pm

First of all, I would go with #4 shot instead of #2 for two reasons. First, #4's are still very effectively at 15-25 yards. Second, 28 ga. guns have very thin patterns, so by switching to #4, your overall pellet count will increase.

But, to answer your question. Yes, I believe that load should be able to kill them.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:11 am

Wow! I do not think I have seen 28 ga steel that was available. Nor have I seen any handloading information. Maybe they have hevi shot in 28ga.
I think the sad part of using fine light stacked barreled shotguns is the lack of available ammo or reloading data. I would use #5's for a 28ga however, if they were available. At 15-25 yards even 6's would work pushed at 1300fps. Good luck!!!!
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Mucho Patos » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:24 am

When did they start making 3" 28 gauge shells? :eek:

Mike
Inertia Driven, Browning A-5
Mucho Patos
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:29 am

Heck if youve taken pheasent with it i think it will work for ducks.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:44 pm

Screw in chokes for steel :thumbsup:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:45 pm

I have killed plenty of ducks and geese with my 28 gauge. BUT that was with lead. I have not heard of a 3" 28 gauge and I would concider Bithmuth or some other heavy duty non toxic pellet but you wont get the job done with steel or I would be still using mine. And as was metioned before, if you do decide to use it, use #4's your pellet count is already insufficiant at that. The most I was able to cram into the small hull was 3/4 oz. at 1330 fps. I found the Federal hull had the largest capacity. I would not recomend for waterfowl if you use steel.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby santeerangerman » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:30 pm

I watched a video, made by Will Primos I think, where the President of Ducks Unlimited killed a limit of Greenheads shooting a .410 w/ Bismuth!!

Would I try this? NO!!! I don't consider this ethical for the average hunter.
I think we OWE IT to the game we hunt, to make every effort to make clean kills. That's one reason I DESPISE SKYBUSTERS!!!

They do make The Bismuth in the 28 ga. I'm not sure what the loads are.

Hevi-Shot #6's pushed at 1300 ft/sec. are DEADLY!!!!
This is what I shoot in my 20 ga. Benelli. I've had NO problem killing ducks, and a few Specks cleanly at 40 yds with this load!!!

I averaged 9 shots fired for my 6 duck limit per day, on my last trip to Arkansas.
santeerangerman
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:05 am

9 shots per 6 ducks is extremely good shooting! :salude: I happen to agree. I know we can take elk with a .243 but would I go elk hunting with a .243? No! Even if my abitily with a rifle is excellent the bottom line is to take your critters ethically, humanely. I do believe that most people on this form are highly interested in doing exactly that. Otherwise there would not be so much discussion on loads, decoys, guns, ect ect. I will leave the light stuff for the experts but I will always continue to seek good clean kills at repsectable ranges. Thanks guys :salude: :thumbsup:
Citori12

Postby casey_714 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:37 pm

Not trying to start an argument... but every elk my uncle has killed has been with his .243 (and none of them got away).. not that 1 man makes a diffence. If you know you are a good enough shot I think .243 are fine to use. But yes... I would prefer to use either a 30.06 like mine, or my dad's 7mm mag.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:37 pm

No arguement :salude: Just keep in mind that for me personally if I were after a trophy elk the .243 would not be my choice of weapon. some of the finest elk hunters I know also use a .257 roberts. If you know your weapon and know your ranges anything legal is acceptable. Again the smaller gauges and calibers are for those who know them well. Being a wrangler and guide most of the clients prefer heavier calibers for elk. But because we a dealing with waterfowl if I were a guide for waterfowl I would always suggest a 12ga for most waterfowling applications. Last year I got invited to a club to shoot geese and was disappointed I did not bring my 20ga as the geese were 20 ft above the pit when the call was made. In those conditions lighter gauges are totally acceptable. Same with the light calibers for elk. Take them close and the battle is half won!!!!
Citori12

Return to Shotgun Forum