24"-26_ or 28" barrell

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

24"-26_ or 28" barrell

Postby Oregon Honker » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:24 pm

I am going to buy a SBE and im wondering which barrell to get I hunt over deeks 90% of the time and my farthest shooying is 40 yards .the local gunshop owner told me the 24" barrell would hold the best pattern for shooting over deeks so what's your input 24" 26" or 28" barrell :salude:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:02 pm

Which ever feels the best to you as far as balance and feel. Chokes can be changed to pattern however it's needed.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:13 pm

The length of the barrel has nothing to do with patterning. It's all in the choke and the load that your using. Every load will pattern differently in every gun. Although, I would go with a 28" barrel. The 28" barrel will give you a longer sighting plane. But again, it's all personal preference.

For more info, refer to the "Does barrel length have anything to do with it?" topic in the Shotgun Forum.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:58 pm

steelcommander wrote:The length of the barrel has nothing to do with patterning. It's all in the choke and the load that your using. Every load will pattern differently in every gun. Although, I would go with a 28" barrel. The 28" barrel will give you a longer sighting plane. But again, it's all personal preference.

For more info, refer to the "Does barrel length have anything to do with it?" topic in the Shotgun Forum.

so what your saying is i can shoot as far with a 24" barrell with no pattern diff if so why have a 28" and pack that weight 24" sure swings alot faster than a 28" also
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Oregon Honker » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:10 pm

I just got to thinking about what you said now think about this logic

if i take the same gun 28" barrell shoot a pice of paper "pattern test" at 40 yards

then take the same gun with the same choke with a 24" barrell patterntest at 40 yards

their is no way it will pattern the same :hammering:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:29 pm

I think it is all a matter of preference....

I personally like the longer (28"), but 26" is another of my favorites.

Good Luck, let us know what you decide :salude:
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:42 pm

Sounds to me like the guy at the gun shop has some guns with 24 inch barrels he wants to get rid of. Patern is not determined by barrel lenght it is detimined by choke and load combination. The only down side to the shorter barrel is when hunting out of a blind it is a lot easier to ring your buddies ears than with a longer barrel. 4 inch shorter barrel maens your 4 inches closer to their heads when you shoot. If that is not a problem go with what feels the best to you.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:00 am

i have never heard of barrel length having anything to do with a guns pattern. i have heard it having alot to do with effective wingshooting.

typically, a shorter barreled gun, like a 24" for example, is utilized as a slug gun or a turkey gun. something where you are aiming and shooting at a stationary target.

"wingshooting" guns..and also competition trap guns, normally have a longer barrel. 28" or even 30". why????

in order to explain this it would take a very looong winded post and maybe even a few diagrams. it has to do with sight picture, swing speed, and the movent of a single point along an arc.

i know a few guys who shoot a 24" gun and do ok with them. alot of it is personal preference..i guess you can get used to anything. personally, i wouldn't let the guy talk you into a 24" gun unless you know exactly what you are getting into. i doubt you'll like it if you haven't used one before.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:17 am

:withstupid: However, I personally feel that barrel lenght is a mute point only for one reason. Personal preference. Trap guns have 30" barrels because trap shooters buy them. In a duck blind or goose pit I prefer a little shorter barrel providing the gun remains balanced. Its easier to get up and at the birds with a shorter barrel. Try manipulating a 32" barrel in a tight duck blind or goose pit and you will see what I mean. I believe barrel lenght has nothing to do with patterns or performance. Again its strickly personal preference. Some of us are happy with the 26" tubes we shoot. I use a 26" tube on a 10ga auto with no performance issues. But it sure is easier to use than a long tom 10ga. I use 28" barrels on my stack tubes..just because they feel better for me. For others being used to a longer barrel or a shorter one they may prefer something different.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:10 pm

I think the gun shop owner is full of beans. With all the chokes and shell combo's available go with what feels good to you. I like the 28" and so do the ears on my hunting partners.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:12 pm

actually, eventhough i use a 28" gun, i think that the 26" is probably the best overall combination of length vs. awkwardness out there. long enough to be a good wing shooting gun and short enough to not get in the way.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Hoosier Drake » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:55 pm

The longger the better :thumbsup:
Is what I like
It's all up to you :smile:
Cuz hunting ain't catch and release.
Hoosier Drake
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:47 pm

Duck Whittler wrote:The only down side to the shorter barrel is when hunting out of a blind it is a lot easier to ring your buddies ears than with a longer barrel. 4 inch shorter barrel maens your 4 inches closer to their heads when you shoot. If that is not a problem go with what feels the best to you.
Wes

Aint that the truth !!! - huh - what did you say ???
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Lepricon » Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:27 am

Personally i prefer the 26" barrel. Just like anyone who has posted about that length has said its just "in my opinion" the best overall length. If i was you if you have access to all sizes of barrel......pick up and hold all of them to your shoulder and swing them and just everything you would do with them hunting and whichever feels the best to you is your gun. Its all about personal preferance.
Lepricon
hunter

Postby Thundersnow » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:21 am

The barrel length will have no noticeable difference in pattern. Extra weight in the barrel helps you keep swinging after you pull the trigger. Shorter gun is faster (just louder). For an auto or pump 26 is plenty long enough (I have used a 24" to make some shots I probally should not have even shot). In a o/u a 28 or 30 is great for hunting. You have 3-4" less length then when the auto/pump and can get the benifit of more weight in the barrel plus a longer sighting plan.
Thundersnow
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:49 pm

I have a 24" on my SBE. Swings easily, and lightweight.
texan68
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum