shell jam!!

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

shell jam!!

Postby EXTREMA » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:33 pm

i have an extrema 1 max-4 really nice shotgun. i took it out and shot some clay pigeons using steel shot mag 2's and it worked fine. took it out hunting this season and dropped a few ducks in dry weather no problem. first rain storm ducks landing on blind shoot, ...click....click....damn!! shells jammed half way. cleaned the gun in solvent and wiped in oil. went back out in rain shoot....click..every shot!! i had to manually shove the shells in to shoot. i might as well have used a pump. clean it everytime i shoot and same problem. my two buddies shoot a berreta pintail and the same problem occurs. why pay big bucks for crap. my remington 1100 is old but only jams on low base lead. anyone else have this problem?

p.s. i shoot every type of shell 2 3/4 -3 1/2/all brands/all weights/bb's,2's,1's.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:13 pm

Have you cleaned out the gas ports? If that isn't the problem, I don't know what to tell you except to bring it to a gunsmith.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:03 pm

okay i cleaned the gun with solvent and left the oil off. it shot with no jams!! but now it shoots once and the next shell is ready to fire but nothing happens. it doesn't even click (firing pin). i thought it was a dud so i ejected another shell in and nothing. i had two greenheads landing on me pulled up and nothing!! i think it's the safety now. i ejected the shell and tried a dry fire then clicked the safety on and off and finally it fired. so every shot i had to eject a shell and click the safety. piece of crap!!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:19 pm

first off i don't use very much oil at all on my gun (i have your exact gun). also have you pulled the pin and cleaned the triger assy?? mine did the SAME EXACT thing and that ended up being the problem for me. pull the barrel, pull the pin and remove the action then push the pin and the trigger assy falls out the bottom. take it on a piece of cloth and spray the crap out of it with gun solvent. keep it of the finish if you can because it eats the paint as i found out the hard way. dont put any lub oil at all and try to dry it out as best you can when your finished. i only have to do this once or twice a season, not every time out!! good luck hope it helps!! if not i'll give you $20 for your single shot :toofunny:
Proudly owned by "HR A hunters dream of Westwind JH"

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby EXTREMA » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:53 pm

great thanks. i was affraid to do that because a friend of mine with the pintail model pulled his apart and it got worse. it wouldn't close or eject. my 1100 never needed more then just a wipe down. i had it for 12 years and shot rain/fog/sun. every few years i took it apart and soaked it in solvent. i had the xtrema for 1 year and cleaned it 10 times already.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby hunt-chessies » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:48 pm

there is a breaking in period with them... it was about a summer of heavy clay shooting and half a duck season before mine straightened itself out. use as little oil as you can, it really jacks these guns up bad. It mixs with the powder residue and really clogs up bad. I don't really clean mine (other than a quick wipe down) more than 2 times a season if that. Like i said little oil is the secret. when i do oil it i spray it well then i wipe it off with a clean cloth, not scrub it just wipe it down to get the excess off. once it breaks in you will love it. i'm 2 + years into mine and i wouldn't trade it.

I quote HNTFSH ****Hunting is a form of training but not the first wave of it. *****
hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:06 pm

i hope so! i heard really good things about it so i bought it. now it seems like me and my two buddies have problems. i will try to do what you said and hope it gets better not worse with time, thanks for the tips and good luck hunting!!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:08 pm

For the comment about a break in period..... a few ejection problems with lighter loads early on are understandable. Havning to put 200 rounds through a gun before it will reliably eject shells shouldn't be an option.

All auto's won't work with all shells, but from what you said you are only shooting 1's, 2's, and BB's. I shoot a Charles Daly and it will reliably cycle everything down to 2 3/4 1 1/8 oz hi-brass loads. Below that it's hit or miss. If you are having problems with the heavy loads you will want to get the gun to a smith. If you are havning problems only with light loads, you'll just have to accept the fact that you can't shoot them.

I'd suggest working with the manufacturer. There may be a line of bad parts that went into the manufacturing process. It happens eventually with anything. For the money you paid, I'm sure they will work something out with you.

I hope everything works out
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby hunt-chessies » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:39 am

now that mine is broken in i can shoot the lightest skeet loads and the heaviest 3 1/2 mags. there is a break in period with all autos and i thnik it was well worth the wait cause as i've said i love my gun

hunt-chessies
Forum Moderator

Return to Shotgun Forum