Good gun for a new hunter

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Good gun for a new hunter

Postby cuffedduck » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:45 pm

I'm new to duck hunting but have plenty of experience with firearms. I would like to get some suggestions for a good shotgun for a beginner in duck hunting. I'd prefer an auto loader but would be open to other models. Also need advise regarding caliber and choke. Basically, I'm rather ignorant when it comes to what type of shotgun I'll need for a good all around weapon. I'd like to limit my spending to $500 for my first gun...after I gain some experience I'd defenitely be open to spending more. Thanks in advance for your help!
cuffedduck
Newb

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:47 pm

stoeger model 2000
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:48 pm

A Stoeger is an excellent choice. If you are going to go with the ever popular Remington 870, make sure to get a Wingmaster and NOT the Express. If you want an autoloader, I would get the Stoeger 2000, but if you are going with a pump, I would go with a Benelli Nova.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:38 pm

Above all else, I'd say start with a pump gun.

Now, you are gonna here as many opinions as there are guns on the market.

the 870 is classic and cheap. You might say disposable.

Browing BPS, Benelli Nova, Mossberg 835 are also among the most popular pumps.

WHy a pump? You are less likley to have problems with jamming -assuming you don't short shuck the pump- when hunting in adverse conditions that are typical to watertfowling.

On a final note :welcome: to DHC, and good luck!
-Ryan
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby Wags » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:45 am

Welcome to Duckhuntingchat cuffedduck. Since your experienced with firearms, don't forget shotguns are measured in gauges, not calibers.

I'd recommend a pump gun in 12 gauge 3" or 3 1/2" capability for your first new duck gun. Lots of brands come to name, but definately check out the Remington Mod 870, and Benelli Nova. Both models will serve you well. You should receive 3 choke tubes with each shotgun upon purchase. Modified or I/C will serve most general purposes. Autoloaders can come later down the road if you don't loose interest as the years pass.

Welcome aboard and hope to hear what you have choosen for your first shotgun for duck hunting.

Wags
Wags
hunter

Best Shotgun under $600

Postby Jay Jolicoeur » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:16 pm

I was shopping for a shotgun a couple months ago and posted Best Shotgun under $600. I got tremendous input from a lot of people the link is http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=10627 . My father-in-law just bought a Remington 870 Supermag at Bass Pro Shop on sale for $200.
Jay Jolicoeur
hunter

Postby cuffedduck » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:23 pm

:toofunny: ahhhhhh yes....gauges....not calibers. I knew there was something that wasn't right about that. Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far.

Wags wrote:Welcome to Duckhuntingchat cuffedduck. Since your experienced with firearms, don't forget shotguns are measured in gauges, not calibers.

I'd recommend a pump gun in 12 gauge 3" or 3 1/2" capability for your first new duck gun. Lots of brands come to name, but definately check out the Remington Mod 870, and Benelli Nova. Both models will serve you well. You should receive 3 choke tubes with each shotgun upon purchase. Modified or I/C will serve most general purposes. Autoloaders can come later down the road if you don't loose interest as the years pass.

Welcome aboard and hope to hear what you have choosen for your first shotgun for duck hunting.

Wags
cuffedduck
Newb

Postby John Peddie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:14 pm

Yeah, one opinion for every hunter.

I shoot an old Ithaca 37 pump (1958 vintage) 12 ga 2 3/4 full choke.

ONLY with bismuth or tungsten-you don't wan't to put steel through an older gun like that.

My alternate is a Browning BPS 20 ga. I only use it on ducks / geese over decoys-no shots over an honest 30 yds. and it's deadly, but I can't recommend it as an all around duck gun.

One of the BPS 12's might work for you. And I love the top-tang safety and bottom ejection (M 37 is also bottom ejection).

With the collapse of Ithaca this past summer, I'm guessing you could find an orphan 37 that some dealer wants to unload cheap.

Unless Ithaca revives, factory service will be a problem, but there are literally hundreds of thousands of them out these, and parts are readily available.

I found that switching from a double to a pump improved my shooting dramatically, because it forces you to pump and consciously follow the bird, rather than just blast away with a double (really a two shot semi) or a semi.

That little 20 is also my pheasant gun, and, once you're used to it, very fast.

I got a triple on pheasants with it this fall, and by that I mean 3 cocks in the air all at once, and five seconds later, all 3 on the ground, graveyard dead....and believe me, that's the gun, not any skill I might have.

Besides, pumps are infinitely reliable. My buddies all use Rem 1100's. Great when they work, but high maintenance, and if you don't clean them religiously, like any semi, you just bougt a pretty, and very expensive, single shot. I've seen too many hunts ruined by finicky semi's.
SAFETY FIRST: RELAX!!!

There's lots of birds, and you don't want to have to explain to your buddiy's wife that you just made her a widow.

Control the muzzle, and check the safety.

Your life depends on it, and so do your buddies'
John Peddie
hunter

Postby wood duck » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:15 am

i strongly recamend a benelli nova or sbe2 in 12ga 3 1/2" i shoot an sbe2 and it has never jammed up on me and ive had it for 3 seasons i had a remington 870 express before that and i never really liked the way it shot i would put only one type of choke in my gun even though they come with 3-5 i shoot a full choke at everything from doves to geese you can get alot more range with it
wood duck
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:25 pm

Because a shotgun comes in gauges and not calibers they are also pointed and not aimed I recommend you try out a couple that you seem to like in your price range and check for fit....If it points where you look half the battle is won.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby RiveRat » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:51 am

Interesting note: My 1968 Beretta O/U has "cal.12" stamped into the barrels. No mention of gauge.
RiveRat
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:09 am

:salude: But its an Italian gun so they are on the metric system :getdown: Me I prefer rifles in calibers and shotguns in gauges.
Cause if you think about it my 10ga would be .10 cal I am thinking that it would be a pea shooter not a shot flinging device. :thumbsup:
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:00 am

REMINGTON 870! This gun is reliable cheap and is just an awsome gun. I would start with a pump action which the 870 is and work your way up it was my first shotgun and it just rocks. I have a friend with a Mossberg pump and he definatly likes my remington better. I have dropped it in freezing water and it had ice on it and i was still able to shoot it because a mallard came in right as i pulled it out of the water and poured the water out of the barrel and it shot fine. This gun has been submerged tons of times and has two TINY rust spots and they are my fault because i did not clean the are well enough. Clean your gun after every hunt and it will work awsome. Get a 12 guage if you are an adult or over mmm 13 years old. Modified choke is the way to go. Good luck! :thumbsup:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby vikingsfan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:53 pm

A nova would be a good gun, if you're wanting an auto i got my mossberg 935 for around $415 and its been a good gun for me.
"keep pissin i'm reloadin!"
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby cuffedduck » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:23 pm

I've considered uping my budget...anyone have experience with Browning Gold shotguns? Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far...
cuffedduck
Newb

870 express

Postby arizonaduckhunter13 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:31 pm

i don't care what anybody says for only 250 you can get an 870 express magnum and shoot it for years and it will give you just as good results as any other gun on the market also the model 500 mossbergs are good
I'll call you my hunting partner when you jump into freezing water to get my ducks
arizonaduckhunter13
hunter

Postby wood duck » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:04 pm

if you are smart you wont buy a mossberg there arent a very reliable gun
wood duck
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:25 pm

Nova...cheap, 3.5", easy take apart AND put back togather, and....CHICKS DIG EM :yes: :yes: :yes:

:hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering: :hammering:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby LIGHT12 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:27 pm

First thing to do, is ask yourself do I need 3.5". I say no, the next guy will say yes. After that, ,I know guys who swear by Browning golds, ,I ,know guys who swear by just about everything tho. I'm a Browning guy now. I shot an 870express for 15 years, but the product disappointed me when I went to replace that oldy. I shoot a 2 3/4 Browning A5 most of the time. I have a 3.5" BPS, a 3" BPS, and a 3" 870. I'm planning the gun to replace the A5 to be a 3"sx3 or benelli M2. Since your willing to up your price look into the M1 used or the M2. They are work horses. But only chamber up to 3". Don't take advice from everyone or you will get confused.

Find someone to trust and listen to them until you are confident to branch off on your own.
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Postby yetz » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:58 am

Remington 870 hands down is the best way imho. I started with a Mossberg 500 and Hated it. The 870 is a real solid gun. It's really inexpensive, weighs a bit more than others, but will stand up to the abuse that it is going to receive. Heck, you may never upgrade!!! :welcome:
Yetz
yetz
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:52 pm

im going to have to disagree with the 870 express guys like always... back a few years ago they were really well made and everyone who loves them has an older one... the new ones are not good... my dads rusted like crazy, and the one i bought last year (i took everyone's advice and bought one) has been to the factory five times, and im finally getting a refund after argueing with them over and over... i shot less than a dozen shells through it... anyways i spent a few bucks more and bought a nova about a month ago and i couldnt be happier... anyways if you want a pump dont buy a newer express... if it takes your fancy, find a used one at a gunshow or pawnshop...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby LIGHT12 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:14 pm

:withstupid:
Have you ever woke up one day and said. Damn when does the season start.
LIGHT12
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum