benelli SBE 2 problems--any ideas?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

benelli SBE 2 problems--any ideas?

Postby kyduck » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:15 am

I took my SBE 2 hunting this past week...never had it out hunting before, for some geese. To my surprise my shooting was not good, however I did manage to wing a goose. I don't claim to be a great shooter, but usually pretty consistent with my old rem 870. Frustrated I decided to see what type of pattern my gun was shooting and the results surprised me. The gun was patterning about 6" high and 6" to the right! I thought that I may have flinched on the first attempt, but in the next 4 I got the same results. I then put in my new patternmaster choke--getting the same results. I then decided to look more at the barrel and choke. The patternmaster choke, to my surprise, was not completely seated flush with the barrel on the left side of the barrel. I then inserted the stock modified choke and noticed that on the right side the choke was internal to the barrel edge by 1mm, but flush on the left side.
Would this have any effect on the patterning results that I am getting? Is there any way to fix the problem? I have already sent Benelli an email reguarding the issue. If anyone has any idea please chime in.
Sorry for the length of the message, but thanks for reading and any input.
kyduck
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:18 pm

First off I’m going to go ahead and tell you that I'm confused. But you have Patten master choke. First question is it an extended choke? that’s why its not flush? or is it suppose to be a flush tube but just not getting flush? Patten masters extended tube will shoot 3 1/2 different from 3” try it and see for yourself. There should be at least a box of shells shot through your gun before patterning it. So if its made for the SBEII and a flush choke tube first find reason its not going flush, look at both threads clean them good. ETC if same problem make sure you have the Right TUBE made for the SBEII, If same effect call Benelli and pattern master and ask them... Thinking since you original fits flush and pattern master don’t call pattern master first, Benelli prob. will not do any-thing.

o-yea btw: Benelli SBE chokes do not fit Benelli SBEII you must get one made for your application
Last edited by greenster on Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby casey_714 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:19 pm

Wow, I plan on buying a SBEII soon. I hope i don't have any problems like that with it.
casey_714
State Moderator

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:43 pm

Most shotguns dont pattern dead red straight....well, atleast the ones I own. Patterning your gun is the #1 thing you can do to improve your shooting, or, me atleast. Knowing with confidnce where your pattern is going is very important. Dont panic. You can try patterning different shells, but, my pattern tests seem ta be preaty consistant. My Nova's thickest part of pattern is about 5" low and 5" right. I take this into account when judging my lead. My wifes Mossberg is about 4" high and 4" right. Some things to take into account could be: fit to shoulder, length of pull, type of sights, or, just the way the gun shoots. Get out to the skeet range, and, pattern different stuff :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:51 pm

My 935 did something similar to your SBE when I bought it. Mossberg included shims and I used those to correct it. Did your SBE come with shims?
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:05 am

i would adjust your shims untill your vertical point of aim and point of impact are the same, my benelli has 4 shims, i prefer the B shim
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Re: benelli SBE 2 problems--any ideas?

Postby wood duck » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:02 am

I own a benelli sbe2 and have never had any problems with it what shells do you shoot?? Try federal premium 3 1/2 ultra shok they work great they've never dissapointed me before.

Quote Error fixed by Greenster
wood duck
hunter

Postby HonkShooter » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:45 pm

I heard this from a guy that works for my dad. When he goes and patterns his gun he takes a bunch of ammo and a file. The picture shows the end of a barrel that isn't flat. This can allow the shot to go to the shorter side since there isn't anything keeping it going straight (barrel) thus throwing your pattern around.

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=360770&c=500&z=1"]Image[/url]

So if you file down the tall side it should even stuff out and get a more dead nut shot. I think. Just something I've heard. Haven't tried it. Make sense?

Joe
No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
-Teddy Roosevelt
HonkShooter
hunter

Postby kyduck » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:27 pm

that is what I was thinking honkshooter. What I noticed was that the screw in stock chokes are not flush with the edge of the barrel on just the right side. I made sure that the barrel and threads were clean, then tried it again.
Next I inserted a patternmaster choke (for a SBE2) and in only contacts the end of the barrel on the left side. The right side has enough room for your fingernail to fit between it and the barrel.
If it was just shooting high I could probably just adjust with the shims, like pointed out, but it is also to the right.
Being a brand new gun, and paying that price for it, I would expect it to shoot pretty true. I have already contacted benelli, and I'll report what they tell me. Thanks for all the replies...much appreciated.
kyduck
hunter

Postby cookand » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:43 pm

I just recently purchased a SBE II and I have patterned mine and it i sdead on. However, the first gun one I bought would not put together. I.E. the barrel would not fit flush in the stock. Even the guys at Mack's(where I bought it) could not get it to fit. I would bet it is just a screw up and I gaurantee they will fix it. Good luck.
Andy
cookand
hunter

Postby kyduck » Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:36 am

Spoke with a rep from Benelli and was instructed to send back the gun and they would take care of the problem. I was impressed with the service, though being hard to get to talk to anyone during the day. Once I spoke to the rep they were very helpful and made instructions very clear in how to resolve the problem. Over the phone they seemed to think that this was a machining problem during barrel fabrication.
kyduck
hunter

Postby gone winchester » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:32 am

could a manufacture defect. mine is just fine with extended and factory tubes. not a problem.
"Please be 18"-Ricky Bobby
gone winchester
Banned

Postby orphanedcowboy » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:47 am

Based on what I initially read, I believe the choke tube threads are not square in the bore of the barrel, thus making the choke cocked in the barrel in the direction of the pattern. Which makes me wonder if the bottom of the choke isn't flush with the inside on the barrel making the choke protrude into the barrel on one side.
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Postby kyduck » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:38 pm

Update...I just recieved back my SBE2.
First, I contacted a rep about my situation. They were to transfer exactly what was said to the service department, and update me with the repair. Well...I never got the call. Instead I recieved back my gun with a patterning test on two different targets. The complaint at the top said that the gun was firing high and to the left. There must have been confusion from the rep to the service department. I guess they figured out that it was to the right when they test fired the gun. They did make some mods on the gun--ejector and stock. The second target is just shooting high. So on paper it looks pretty good.
Then I look toward the end of the barrel to see what changes they made to it for the correction of the choke. Nothing, the choke was the same. I then screwed in a patternmaster choke and noticed the same thing as before, not seating on the right side but does on the left.
At this point I am hot...I specifically told the rep my problems. Then paid to have the gun shipped back to be fixed--not to mention $1500 for the gun to begin with--new. So I contact benelli again and one of the reps just tells me to send the gun back again. I asked about free shipping back to them, and they responded to take it back to the dealer. So I did just that. The dealer then gave me a hard time about sending it back. Told me it would take 3 months to get it back this time instead of 3 weeks. And I have to rely on them to tell Benelli the problem with the gun this time.
So, to try and resolve some of this I contact Benelli yet again. I spoke with another rep and updated them on the situation. They looked up my info while I am explaining why I am frustrated with the situation. I ask if there is anything they can do about the situation. They then ask if the problem involves all of the stock chokes--I reply yes and even more noticable with an aftermarket choke that you can see externally. They resond with "I don't care about the aftermarket choke." Soon after I was hung up on--no comments being made after that last quote. I then tried back for 10 min and could not get through.
That has been my first and probably last experience with a Benelli. Performance worth the price....based on this situation I think not. :pissed:
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:02 pm

Wow that really gets my blood boiling: pissed: Do you happen to know the name of the rep you talked too, if you do please pm there name to me. I'll be in contact with the head of the service department on Thursday any-way and ill be sure to mention this to him. I bet he will take it well: thumbsup: o-yea BTW they are supposed to pay for the shipping if its there defect I believe. they always do with us any-ways.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MC49 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:55 am

Based on the feedback I read on many forums, quality seems inconsistent for both Benilli SBE2 and Berreta Xtrema2 products. Some folks get great guns, others get lemons. Quality issues could result from many areas including design, mfg, suppliers, quality control, shipping protection, etc. Problems can also result from user mis-use, although this doesn't seem to be a problem area.
Based on issues I've read, most problems appear to result from inconsistent mfg process maybe due to non-repetitive manual processes (which increases the challenge for quality control). Then of course, human nature is to complain and refrain on complementing, so the many issues I perceive exist may in fact be very few...
I plan on buying an SBE2 or Xtrema2 soon and am hoping I get lucky!
MC49
Newb

Postby dukhntr » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:16 am

Kyduck, Sorry to hear that buddy. I can say that I have a SBE1 and have had great luck with it. It is a shooting machine. I can see why you would give up on Benelli. Hopefully they'll get you set up the way they should. :thumbsup:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby kyduck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:56 pm

Ok guys, quick update as of today. I spoke with Benelli about 2 months ago concerning my issue as before with the choke tubes and misalignment of the pattern. What they did was place a larger bead on the barrel to adjust the pattern, however they did nothing to the choke tube. Well to shorten the story I sent the gun back to have that repaired / replaced. A manager told me that she was extremely sorry about the whole situation and asked when I needed my gun done. I told her that I needed it by turkey season April 14th. She said that I would have either: 1) a new gun, 2) demo gun, 3) my gun repaired by that date. In addition she would contact the service department and make sure that it was taken care of. She stated it was not acceptable and probably a machining defect of some type. She I thanked her and that was that.....
Today April 19th I have no gun. I called Benelli to figure out what was going on with it. First conversation with a supervisor was she didn't know of the situation and couldn't help. Ok, I'll talk to another...same story, but she said that she could get me a barrel ordered. I said thanks, but that is not the point at this time. She also looked at the work order and told me the service department said that the barrel inserts had no influece on the gun, so they did nothing. I then asked her if I could ask her a personal question--"If you bought a $200,000 porche and it had a huge scratch down the side would you be happy?" She responded no and she understood where I was coming from. I told her that I didn't want to take this situation out on her, because she didn't know the whole story. I wanted to speak to the manager who made the previous promises to me. Finally I reach her and this is the comment I get "It looks like my supervisors took care of the situation." I said not exactly...I don't have a gun. I said, "what about those specific promises you made about me having a gun to use for turkey season?" Get this response, "I don't have a written record of that!" Written record? I guess that I just came up with those options by myself--I even knew that the demo gun had a different camo pattern than my gun, because she asked it it would be a problem. Then her next question was "Is there anything else she could help me with?" Actually "yes" there is...can I have your supervisors number. Like that was the end of the conversation. She tells me that they don't have a number and I have to write a letter to them--Attn General Manager. I bet that letter will get right to their desk and I will get a prompt response!! I then leave a couple of messages for someone to call me back that never did today. :pissed:
So now I am so hot that my hair is melting...$1700 gun that I've only shot about 10-15 times and I still don't have it. As you can see customer service is a joke. I would highly suggest that you think twice about purchasing a Benelli shotgun. Honestly, I've wanted one for about 6 years not and now I really just want my money back!!! :pissed:
Sorry for the long post, just wanted to rant, update, and thought you all should know.
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:07 pm

That is ridicolous! If you pay that much for a gun it better work flawlessly. Gosh i dont know if i want to buy a Benelli now i think im gonna go with the Xtrema. That would really really piss me off. Ive heard bad things about their so called "customer service."
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby plainsman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:37 pm

Hate to say it,but that sounds pretty typical of the service I've heard about from MANY others.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:54 pm

What other companies have you heard it about?

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby kyduck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:08 pm

I think he means he has heard bad things about their customer service from many different people
kyduck

Hunting in the bluegrass
kyduck
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:12 pm

Ahh my bad i just glanced at it.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby jjohnson_714 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:48 pm

if it makes you feel better ky i had a similar problem with remington's customer service... ive spent over a half an hour waiting on hold 5 different times... and each time they had no idea what was going on... let alone the fact that each time i sent the gun in i had to wait over a month or two to get it back... so its not just benelli's customer service that is junk... hope everythin works out for you... it finally did for me after time #5 in the shop i was finally able to get my money back... so i bought a benelli... hopefully i'll never have to deal with their service...
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:51 pm

Ky...I know this doesn't help much but I'm gonna bash on Benelli abit too...One year ago almost to the day my buddy and I were planning on getting matching SBE2's...We went to the gun shop and he instantly bought his gun and I walked around looking at other items and when I walked back to the counter to get mine after my buddy was done filling out all the paperwork...This old timer fellow walks up to me and says " Son, If I were you, I'd think twice about getting a Benelli. "..So I thought this guy was a clown and I was gonna buy it anyways but he kept bashing Benelli left and right almost not allowing me to get the gun...So I said what the heck, hunting season is 4 months away I'll wait around to see how my buddies gun shoots...Well lets just say he's had it back to the factory twice and the customer service is a joke....I went ahead and got an SX2 which I absolute love and I'm gonna move up to the SX3....Now I'm not gonna totally tear apart Benelli because my friends father had an SBE1 and love it and he got an SBE2 and loves that too....So I guess it's just like buying a Chevy :laughing: ....Some are good and some are worthless.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum