Need help sighting in my first Shotgun...

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Need help sighting in my first Shotgun...

Postby dan61psu » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:33 am

Hey all -

I am new to the DuckHuntingChat world, but would like to become a vet around here after a few seasons.

I am from SouthEastern PA, have duck hunted just once, and fell in love when I did so.

I just got my first shotgun, a Remington 870 Express Super Mag Pump. I would like to get started with equipping myself for next season, since this season is about over in PA (one more week of duck).

I need to pattern the gun and get the right choke for 3 1/2" shells (steel). I also want to use the gun for Spring Gobbler season.

Can one of you with more shotgun hunting experience lend some tips for:

1. Patterning for the Steel shot/Duck Choke (modified choke?)
2. Patterning for the Gobbler season (full choke I assume?)
3. Type of choke/shot for Canada Goose?

Anythign else I should know? I am not, by any means new to shooting sports...just to waterfowling and shotgun hunting. I have shot skeet and trap, so am familiar with shooting flying objects :). I am also a deer hunter and enjoy handgunning at the range.

Thanks all! Great site!

Dan - (Chester County, PA)
dan61psu
hunter

Postby steelcommander » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:36 pm

Well, first of all I don't think you can sight in a ventilated rib barrel. Now to your questions.

1. You're on the right track with the modified choke. Although, many will tell you to use a full or even an improved cylinder choke. I would start with a modified, and decide for yourself if you want a bigger or smaller spread. You can also invest in an aftermarket choke. Many people, including myself, prefer Patternmaster chokes. And as far as patterning goes, just buy different loads and see what works best.

2. For gobblers, full, extra-full, and super-full chokes are probably the most popular. All of those are made by Remington. Again, aftermarket chokes can also be bought for turkey hunting. Do the same thing for patterning as mentioned in #1.

3. Type of choke? Most people like the full choke and some times the modified if they come in close. Goose hunting is where Patternmaster chokes shine. #BB and #BBB are the most popular shot sizes for use on goose.

Things to know....(that I can think of)
- BE SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!

- When shooting slugs through a ventilated rib barrel, always use an improved cylinder or true cylinder choke. Or a rifled choke which is specifically designed for use with slugs.

- Clean your gun frequently and oil it lightly with Rem Oil after every time you use it. Shotguns CAN rust very quickly, especially when exposed to the wrong conditions (high humidity, rain). If you oil it lightly when your supposed to, you can very effectively prevent rust.

- Try to buy steel shot loads with velocity in the 1450 - 1550 F.P.S. range.

Good luck hunting in the coming years.
steelcommander
hunter

Postby MrCamoClad » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:10 pm

Steelcommander is right on the money. - I had an 870 up to this year and always used the Mod choke for all waterfowl.

Good luck and welcome

PS - the best is yet to come - once your in to waterfowling - its an addiction.
MrCamoClad
State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:18 pm

Great choice on the gun. Modified choke for ducks and geese, full choke for turkey. For ducks use steel shot sizes 3 or 4 in 3 inch loads. for geese use 3 1/2 inch BB or number 2's. Good luck! :thumbsup: And welcome to DHC! :welcome:
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Ducksbeus » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:25 am

Pattern that sucka...most of the time the thickest part of your pattern will be a little off center. I like #3's for big ducks...#4's for small ones( Teal, woodrows) BB for small geese....T for the biguns. I use my factory modified choke and 3.5" most always :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:59 pm

for geese i would use bbb's, t's, or f's if you can find them. the best shot would be the higher priced heavy load type shells at $20+ for box of 10 shells. with geese if you don't break a wing or get a head shot they will sail off for miles.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby dan61psu » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:47 am

thanks all! i look forward to getting this scatter gun to the range and then to the fields!
dan61psu
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:53 pm

I would start off by dumping the 3.5 inch and just shoot 3
If you want to be able to kill long distance by a 10 ga.
Then I would take your full choke and screw it into the gun and take the other chokes and thow 'em in the trash.Now get a few BBB,BB,2,4 and go pattern with each load. Draw a 30" circle on a piece of cardboard and stand 30 yards away. Which ever load puts the most pellits in the circle wins.Take that load and shoot ALL waterfowl.
As far as the other game I don't know.I think most of them boys shoot 3.5 no 4 or something.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum