10 Gauge?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby poacher » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:18 am

What shell lengths will the 10 gauge accept? I saw a guy deer hunting w/ a 10 gauge this year. Is 10 gauge buckshot readily available or are they custom loads?
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:25 am

the 10ga comes only in a 3 1/2" shell. And if you are in an area where deer hunting is allowed only with buckshot a 10ga would be the winner hands down on that trip. I have not checked the buckshot offerings in a 10ga but they can be handloaded for sure.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby poacher » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:31 am

:eek: 3.5" only :eek: how about slugs? hmmmm. 10 ga. rifled barrel w/ sabot slug and scope. imagine.
"teal, teal, albino teal....wait, those are seagulls...take em.

wait till they line up and cross, 1 shell 2 birds
poacher
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:00 am

Honestly if I were to shoot slugs out of a 10ga I think I would rather use a 12ga. 10ga shotguns were actually designed and built with waterfowl in mind. after the turn of the century they were actually very common amoung waterfowl hunters. When the remington power piston became the rage the 12ga became more effective as a waterfowl gun. I can tell you that if I were hunting deer with slugs I would set up a shotgun to have as good as accuracy to 100 yards as possible. This would mean alot of target practice. Because I have patterned my 10ga guns and 3 1/2" 12 ga guns recoil with slugs out of a 10 would be pretty heavy. In a light 3 1/2" 12ga its pretty brutal. My gas 10 is not bad but I would not want to use a slug out of it...You gotta remember that ga is an indication of how many round balls you can fit down the barrel to make a pound. So for a 12 its 12 round balls the diameter of the barrel and with a 10 each ball would wieight almost 2 oz's so a slug would have to be pretty good size to get enough accuracy out of a 10.
Citori12

Postby ILWaterfowler » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:51 pm

They do make slugs for 10 guages, although I haven't heard of them making sabots for them. A guy I duck hunt with used to shoot 1 3/4 oz. rifled slugs out of his SP-10 just messing around. I don't think he ever hunted with them, mainly because he already had a gun setup exclusively for deer, I would imagine. But I bet the 1 3/4 oz. slugs woulda put the hurt on something, maybe even multiple somethings if you count the shooter.
ILWaterfowler
hunter

10 ga

Postby romancenturian » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:18 am

i own ithaca mag 10's and remington sp-10's same gun pretty much, just sold a bps 10 ga. they are awesome goose guns but i use a 12 for ducks.

the geese are slower to aim at with the 10 ga than ducks which a 12 seems to move faster on for me at least. the 10 ga with a patternmaster choke will get you 60-70 yd shots if you have to shoot that far. but up close the geese are down no problem.

most fear the recoil but i dont notice it. some dont like the weight but once again, ot that bad. if you are in any sort of shape, it is not bad and most come with a sling.

i have not seen much offerings in slugs but i would say that it would be an awesome platform for a deer gun.
"those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't."
romancenturian
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Dec 16, 2005 1:16 pm

There is no doubt a 10ga is a goose gun for sure. I have used one since steel became law. I found that using a 10ga for geese got me less cripples and a little lea way on decoy shy geese. They are heavy and cumbersome. My SP-10 is a 26" barrel and I use a briley extended choke tube. I can tell you that it definetly gets er done. But you do not want to carry it around for pheasants for sure. Take it to the blind and back use a sling and happy hunting.
Citori12

re 10 ga

Postby romancenturian » Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:52 am

as of yesterday i would fall on the side of using a 12 for ducks and a 10 for geese, but yesterdays hunt i dropped a mallard at 60+ yds with my 10 ga using federal bbb shells. we were set up for goose hunting but were able to work some ducks. close in i would rather use a 12 witha modified choke but that long shot i made yesterday would never have happened with a 12. i guess it just comes down to what you hunt and what you feel confortable with. i expect the punch of a 10 ga for geese and ducks are a secondary event where i hunt. i have found 12 gauges wanting in the knock down dept using steel and i wont pay the extra amount for hevi shot.
i saw a goose get knoocked back at least 2 feet yesterday when hit witha 10 gauge at 25 yds. it was an awesome shot. two of us were using 10 gauges, rem sp-10 and ithaca mag 10, the third guy was using a benelli nova 3.5 inch and he was having to shoot twice as many shells as us for the same result....and he is a really good shot.
"those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't."
romancenturian
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:39 am

:salude: I have to say that on heavily hunted public property and if I want a few birds for dinner a 10ga is the way to go. But I would rather decoy my birds in close including geese. I have been on goose hunts were a 20ga is plenty and duck hunts that a 10ga would have been an advantage. But for being able to pattern large pellets effectively with good speed a 10ga is king.
Citori12

AGREED

Postby romancenturian » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:47 am

agreed that i want the geese/ducks decoyed in close as well. i only tried that long shot yesterday because i was the last one to shoot. we take turns and play back up or clean up on the shots. it makes for less discrepancy on who killed what and you have to walk the walk on your shooting skills.
romancenturian
hunter

Postby D-hof » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:11 pm

i am thinking about getting a bps 10 ga what do u guys think of thim i can't wait to get a 10ga :laughing:
D-hof
hunter

Postby romancenturian » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:47 pm

just got one on gunbroker for 375.00. nib. great shooters for leftys or for those who dont want to rain empty shells on the guy next to you. as good as a rem sp-10 or ithaca mag 10 as far as performance. little slower because it is a pump.
romancenturian
hunter

Postby D-hof » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:02 pm

how is the recoil on it
D-hof
hunter

Postby romancenturian » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:07 pm

quite honestly it is not that bad. you have tons of clothes on first off, i am keyed up at watching and aiming at the birds, and i expect it to recoil a little more than my 12 but not that much. it is heavier but it is a cannon. if you are worried about recoil get a 20 ga.
romancenturian
hunter

Postby D-hof » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:27 pm

i am not that worried i just want a good reliable gun that can shot the higher geese and has a bigger payload thxs i can't wait to get it this weekend :yes: :yes: :laughing:
D-hof
hunter

Postby D-hof » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:28 pm

i am not that worried i just want a good reliable gun that can shot the higher geese and has a bigger payload thxs i can't wait to get it this weekend :yes: :yes: :laughing:
D-hof
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:54 am

Felt recoil on my BPS 10ga is better than in most 12ga pumps. The weight helps a lot..shoot mine comfortably in a T shirt.

Hope you enjoy yours.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:00 am

The advantage of a ten is its weight along with the pressures generated that deliver felt recoil are modest compared to a 3 1/2" 12 ga. Its a big heavy gun as is the BPS-10ga. The only thing I had a problem with is running the action. The stock is long and the foreend needs a good shove to eject shells...But that is because I am not a long armed person. Meanwhile, take note that this 10ga is capable of aftermarket chokes and can be set up to be an awesome waterfowl killer. Once you have learned to deal with its weight and its feel. It will serve many many years given the right care as its made of milled steel.
Citori12

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum