Ithaca Model 37 Need the Good and Bad

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Ithaca Model 37 Need the Good and Bad

Postby c14smalls » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm

I have a Browning BPS and I am wanting to get a Ithaca Model 37. I have never seen one so I need some info from those who have. Thanks.
c14smalls
hunter

Re: Ithaca Model 37 Need the Good and Bad

Postby Specklebelly » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:57 pm

c14smalls wrote:I have a Browning BPS and I am wanting to get a Ithaca Model 37. I have never seen one so I need some info from those who have. Thanks.

The good:
Great quality (buy the Ohio made model)
Long lasting and will never fail
Bottom eject
Can get customized for your desires by the factory
Smooth pumping and feel "broke in" from the beginning (from what I have read on the new ones)
Look nice
You will be the only one in the blind that has one :thumbsup:

The bad:
Expensive
A challenge to get apart and back together until you get it figured out (remove stock before internals). Once you get the hang of it, no problems.

If you have the money, I would suggest getting one. I have a 60's or so model and am hoping to get a new one in the next year or so.

Good luck with your decision.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:31 pm

There's just not really anything "bad" about one...it's a proven and tested design.
I also plan on ordering a new one sometime down the road.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:24 pm

I've had one for over 35 years. (sometimes more then one) It was my go to gun for everything but waterfowl because its a 20 ga. Not to say it wasn't used for duck at times. Never had to take off the stock to disassemble. You probably wil never find a smoother more reliable pump gun.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:52 am

Even with more internal parts the 37 is easier to totally disassemble for a thorough cleaning. They are very reliable and long lasting pieces and the only part that may need replacing down the road is the magazine retainer lever as the tip can wear down. That said, the BPS is one of the all time great pumps and you won't go wrong with one. Both have bottom eject but the tang safety of the BPS is very easy to operate.

Pick the one that fits you best and go from there.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 am

I recently handed down my Ithaca Model 37 Featherlight 20 gauge to one of my sons as I have been doing over the last 10-12 years and I almost had a tear well up in my eye. I think I felt more pride handing that one off than all the Smiths, LeFevers, Model 12s, etc that had previously gone to the kids. That was my first true "dove gun" that had been there with the training of my first lab, was there when each of the boys were allowed to hunt with a shotgun (with one shell), and killed many a dove and duck in the hands of the boys as well as myself. It is truly a classic and a workhorse. I cannot say anything bad about it. It was one great day back in 1970 when that attorney's secretary, who was just divorced, wanted to know if I would buy her shotgun from her. She wanted $150, so I helped her out! " Oh, by the way, it has an extra barrel, would you like me to bring that to you tomorrow?" :smile:
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby c14smalls » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm getting a quote on a custom Model 37 Waterfowl 12 gauge w/ 26" vent rib barrel, wood stock, and possibly a custom engraved receiver! Can't wait :grooving:
c14smalls
hunter

Postby 16gaParkerGun » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:28 am

I bought a used, 16 gauge way back in 1976. It has never failed me.

I have never understood why the average shooter feels the need to take a gun completely apart, either to "see how it works" or give it a "thorough cleaning."

With normal use not abuse, they really need no more than a standard field strip. Ever wonder why all those nice, vintage sporting guns have buggered up screws? Well, that's why.
16gaParkerGun
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:56 pm

16gaParkerGun wrote:I bought a used, 16 gauge way back in 1976. It has never failed me.

I have never understood why the average shooter feels the need to take a gun completely apart, either to "see how it works" or give it a "thorough cleaning."

With normal use not abuse, they really need no more than a standard field strip. Ever wonder why all those nice, vintage sporting guns have buggered up screws? Well, that's why.

Good point.

I was just being nosey and wanted to see how it was designed. Needless to say, I couldn't get it back together as I wasn't paying attention when I took the internals out.

Needless to say, after calling in a 37 expert (dad was in town from Houston) we got it back together.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Had a 16ga back in the '70s that dropped shells and kicked like the proverbial mule. Also had an East Coast hunter who brought two synthetic 37s to the blind, because both had been back to the shop and much as he loved 'em, he wasn't going to trust his dream hunt to either.

They were pretty popular when I was kid in the Ohio Valley, but no more super-duper gun than any other.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby 16gaParkerGun » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Along time ago when I worked part-time in a gunshop, we would get in what we called "bag guns." Usually it was either a Remington 870 or 1100, Ithaca 37 or Winchester pump. Anyway, we called them bag guns because the customer would bring them in completely disassembled in a paper bag, for us to reassemble. What I always thought was funny, was that the customer never owned up to taking it apart. It was almost always "I loaned it to my brother-in law and he screwed it up," etc.

It's okay to be curious about the inner-workings or function of a firearm. What makes me nuts is those who have no patience or don't take the right time to use the right tool. You don't use a Wal-Mart bought screw driver on a Parker or Browning Auto-5 or any other nice firearm for that matter. All of those engraved and or fire-blued screws on the nicer guns were not meant to be turned unless absolutely needed for a repair. Every time you knock a pin out the frame or receiver it gets just a little looser.
16gaParkerGun
hunter

Postby towgunner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:21 pm

Haven't run into a bad thing!!! This gun is my "never fail" back up, mine is a 1962 and it fires just as well as when I first saw my Dad shoot it. It shoots 2 3/4" only but no complaints about that. No chokes either, I have to switch barrels..I like the fact that you only have to pull the trigger once and can just pump fire. I don't know if thats possible on the new ones but I like it (who needs semiauto) :lol3: You made a great choice!! :thumbsup:
towgunner
hunter

Postby Model37 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:50 pm

I haven't had any problems shooting my Ithaca Model37 20 ga. Great accuracy & very easy to shoot. I started with 4 shot and haven't used anything else. The bottom ejector is a key feature. Occasionally, someone will talk trash because I am shooting a 20 ga, but once they see the birds drop it ceases immediately. Highly recommend this gun.
Model37
Newb

Postby cootlover » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:03 pm

Best pump shotgun made and there not hard to take apart. I did it the first time when I was 13. I own a lot of them the BPS safety sucks mine kept jamming .
cootlover
hunter

Postby QuackQuack_DE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:45 pm

I have 3; 12, 16 and 20 gauges. The 20 was my first gun. They range from 1946 to 1970 and all work flawlessly. I have many other shotguns I have purchased over the years, some costing 10X the 20 gauge. But the 20 gauge 37 is still my baby and favorite gun.
QuackQuack_DE
hunter

Postby Mallard Merlin » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:36 pm

I bought one of the new Ohio M37 waterfowler guns a couple of years ago and it is great. The quality of the gun is awesome, the action is super smooth like it is a 50 year old gun, quality parts and detail to machine work is evident. I am a left handed gunner so the bottom eject is perfect for me and the factory even put a left hand safety on it for me, not as good as the top tang safety of a BPS but works just fine. I am waiting for a over under from Ithaca to come out so I can buy one :thumbsup:
Mallard Merlin
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum