Browning Gold

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby duckbuster06 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:35 pm

You musta got lucky with your gun, cuz even my reloads aren't ejected fast enough before the shell in the mag comes out and jams it.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Merganser » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:16 am

Just got my Browning Gold back from Browning Arms. They replaced the barrel and several small parts in reciever. It seems to chamber more smoothly now. I plan to shoot it this weekend and will report back then if problem is resolved.
Must say I was pleased with Browning Arms response so far. They were easy to contact and seemed to make a good effort at fixing my problem. The turn around time was about 2 months but since I sent it in after season close, that did not bother me.
Merganser
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:12 pm

:umm: Mine shoots fine! I could probably use shells with no brass if they had em. :yes:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:25 pm

Look at you, dove slayer, which i could do some dove huntin, I love simmered doves in gravy,mmmmmmmm m mmmm
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:12 pm

Is your gun a 3" or 3.5" Widgeonator? The problem seems to be in the 3.5 models. Just curious.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Merganser » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:01 am

Widgeonator, how do you clean your Browning and what do you lube with, if anything?
Merganser
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:09 am

No problems with my 3.5" gun now. When it was new, it didn't like 1 1/8oz loads, and breaking it in took care of that. The only malfunctions I have had is due to an excessively dirty gas piston, but that was a few years worth of grime.

I never cleaned the action spring in the buttstock, but that can cause some of the problems a few of you are facing. The only time I took the spring out was to replace it with a Sure Cycle, and I haven't cleaned the Sure Cycle since I installed it.

When I feel like cleaning mine (couple of times a season, probably), I wipe everything down with CLP or RemOil, and use brake cleaner on the gas piston. If the powder spots on the mag tube are tough to get off, I use Hoppe's and a brush. No lube, as I after I put on the CLP, I wipe it off. This leaves a very, very light film behind, and is all you need. In the extreme cold, I have had no problems, but don't have any problems shooting it dry as well, as I did that for years.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:34 am

My shotgun shoots 3.5 inch.

As far as cleaning goes, steel shot uses different powder than lead. If your shooting lead you hardly have to clean it. You just make sure the Gas operating system is clean. (You know the Piston under the forearm).
WD-40 and a bunch of paper towels.

If you are shooting steel, you have to clean it before season, in the middle of season, and agian before the season is over. Always clean the Gas operating system. Also the trigger mechanism gets filled with big flakes of old powder from the steel shot. :hammering:

Push the two pins out that hold the trigger in, I use a nail. The nail has to be smaller in diameter than the pin you are pushing out. Once you push those two pins out the trigger comes right out. I wipe it down with paper towels, WD-40 it , hit it with a tooth brush. Wipe it down. There are so many little crannies you can't get to, you need to hit it with compressed air to blow all the gunk out. Make sure you are wearing glasses and some old clothes, because powder really burns your eyes. The last time I did it I was covered in black dots from the all the gunk.

WD it some more, Clean the inside of the gun where the trigger goes and slap it back in.

The last time I did it, I noticed the trigger was hard to pull when I was shooting clays. Some times gunk gets inbetween the trigger and jams it up a bit. After shooting for about 10 minutes it cleared up.

Maybe, Ill take some pictures next time I do it.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Merganser » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:26 am

Sorry to disagree with you Widgeonator, but I do not recommend using WD-40. It gums up in cold and it catches dust in dirty field conditions. I put a small drop of Remoil in trigger mech and on cartridge tube, then wipe off. Other than that, dry.
Merganser
hunter

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:43 pm

My dad used WD-40 on his Browing over and under for 30 years and the thing looks and shoots pretty good!

I have never had a problem with WD, of course I am hunting in California where it rarely gets below freezing. As far as trapping dirt, any oil will do that.

I have done extensive dirt testing of lubricants on the Chain of my dirt bike. WD doesn't hold dirt anymore than anyother chain lube. About the best thing is Chain wax. It always helps if you wipe off the excess oil. Some people think WD isn't worthy of their high dollar shotgun so they pay big bucks for Rem oil or Tri Flow.

All I know is WD keeps my gun clean, it prevents rust and treats the spots that do rust, "because I didn't put any WD on." I heard people claim that WD causes rust. That is the biggest far cry I have ever heard. You might as well say that penecillin causes infections.

Actually there is one problem with WD-40 if you use a true glow sight. It basically ruins the sight, I found that out the hard way.

If you are worried about dust, tri-flow seems to be better in that regard.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum