Gun Fit

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Gun Fit

Postby Bay Bob » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:41 pm

This is what works for me as far as "drop at the comb" is concerned.

Once you get the Lenght of Pull to where you can comfortably and easily shoulder it, Drop at the Comb is the most important in my view.

It only works on guns with a middle bead - - -

Close your eyes and shoulder the gun, when you look down the barrel (without moving your head on the comb) the two beads should appear as a figure 8, with perhaps a slight bit of space between the loops of the 8.

For me - - - if the beads line up the gun will shoot low, if there is too much space between the beads the gun will shoot high.

The true test of fit is the patterning board. Put a bright post it note in the center of the board.

Quickly mount and shoot the gun while focusing on the post it note - - - if your pattern is not fairly well centered your gun does not fit.

Be sure to shoot both barrels of doubleguns as the barrels sometimes will shoot to different spots !

You can raise or lower the point of impact by adjusting comb height - - -

Moving the impact point left or right is above my paygrade :biggrin:
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby Maxushunter » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:44 am

Hi Guys
I hope this is ware i should ask this question i have a browning maxus i like the gun but i don't shoot it that well i have to crane my head over to get a good site picture on it and really push the stock into my cheek were i get a real good black and blue mark from it i have a # 2 shim in it i tried the # 3 and don't see any difference in the fit just more cast i have an A5 and it fit's me no problem so my question is there a after market stock or something i can do to make the comb on my stock lower to get a better fit oh and i have looked at other manufactures and they are all about the same in fitting me anyway thanks for any help or suggestions.

Max
Maxushunter
hunter

Postby Maxushunter » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:01 am

I had a good friend come over and look at the Maxus he is a long time hunter and competition shooter we compared the gun to my beneli found the beneli had a drop at the heel of 2.5 " and the Maxus had a drop of only 2" this made a big difference in the fit to me anyway using the shims and one of the length of pull shims cutting it down I was able to get the drop down to 2-3/8 " on the Maxus this will really help just thought I would pass it along if anyone else has the problem.

Max
Maxushunter
hunter

Postby CDB » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:50 pm

I have a Maxus and had an SX3 that I could not shoot well at all. I bought two Franchi Affinitys and suddenly I was Deadeye ****. After doing a lot of research I found the issue. The Franchi's have a 1.5" DAC, the Maxus has a much lower comb and the SX3 has a much higher comb. After shimming the Maxus to raise the comb and shimming the SX3 to lower the comb I shot them better but still not as well as the Franchi's. I traded the SX3 for a Silver b/c I did not want to pay a lot of money to have the comb lowered. The Silver and the Maxus have the same DAC. I then bought two comb raising kits and installed them on the Maxus and Silver. The kits allowed me to adjust the DAC on both shotguns to 1.5". Now I am Deadeye **** with the Maxus and Silver. The kits cost me $22.95 apiece and were probably the best money I've ever spent that was firearm related.

All of the experts preach fit, fit, fit. I believe them now.
Beauty and the Beast, true love or the Stockholm Syndrome?
CDB
hunter

Postby lostknife4 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:00 am

Does anyone know of a shim kit for the BPS ? Lost
"It's not the game but the chase ~ not the trophy but the race !" from my Dad, many years ago.
lostknife4
hunter

Postby Jronicaing » Wed May 30, 2012 3:23 am

Lat your forearm out with the gun in it. The recoil pad should go directly into the crease of your forearm and elbow and you should be able to hold the trigger normally. It fits.
Jronicaing
Newb

Postby orphanedcowboy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:51 pm

Rollin, good to see you here.

I can say I have just book and it is my foundation for getting good fit for several people.

Sent from my Tesla coil
NRA Life Member
orphanedcowboy
hunter

Previous

Return to Shotgun Forum