SBE II VS M2

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

SBE II VS M2

Postby LSUFAN » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Besides the obvious difference in chamber difference, how else do the two compare? Gun guy behind counter suggested the M2 if I don't shoot 3.5. I hunt doves/ducks with the occasional speck win I get lucky. So gun guy says M2 for my situation.
Not trolling just asking. Thanks
LSUFAN
hunter

Re: SBE II VS M2

Postby waterfowler9 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:32 pm

If you don't care about 3.5 shells them the M2 would be a good choice. Buying the M2 will save you some money Other than that there is not a difference.
waterfowler9
hunter

Postby LSUFAN » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:38 pm

Gun also said M2 handle better. It felt good in my hands , so I guess it's up to me. I guess my real question should be, who shoots one and how do you like it?
LSUFAN
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:45 am

Howdy,

First off let me say that both are excellent for waterfowl guns.....or for whatever you intend to use it for :yes:

That being said, I'll vote for the M2 Field everyday. I was in the same predicament as you a few years ago. I went ahead with the M2 and have never look back. This is why:

1) Gun fit: Perhaps the most important thing when looking at a gun intended for wing shooting. Both SBE2 and M2 should great and point/shoot right where I'm looking. However, the M2 is a tad bit lighter and balances better IMO. My M2 fits me like a glove, where as the SBE2 felt slightly less comfortable. I would suggest comparing the two guns side by side in the gun shop, then do the same thing with the same model but comparing 26" vs. 28" barrel. Personally, I like the "closed eye, shoulder and swing" method. Without being told which gun youre being handed, close your eyes and shoulder the gun like you would in the duck blind. Swing back and forth (gently). Make a desicion based on feel and which one shoulders most comfortably for you! A gun that you can shoulder and fire w/o much thought or fudging around will no doubt be the gun that you shoot best with in the field.

2) 3" vs. 3 1/2": Guys will never agree on this subject; whether to have the 3 1/2" capability and not use it or supposedly further range to hit passing ducks (don't believe this thought, if you need 3 1/2" shell over a 3" shell to hit a duck you should seriously reconsider your M.O.). I use my gun for everything from ducks and big honkers to any upland applications I need (turkeys included). The M2 even does very well on the sporting clays course....I've put in a couple summers of hard clay shooting with my M2, its great! :thumbsup: If you can refrain from busting at birds at 50+ yds and can decoy them in, to make a well placed and accurate shot then only have the 3" capability is not a problem. Besides, 3 1/2" shells cost a heck'ova lot more too! :lol3: I have not once felt like I was undergunned with my 3" chambered M2 Field.

3) Reliability: More reliable/issue free than SBE2?
M2's are really the workhorse of the Benelli line up. Throw this gun at any application and it performs like a champ. I've refrained from cleaning my gun for months at a time in an effort to make the gun stop functioning....it would not. Never have I had an issue to cycle in the 3 hunting seasons I've had mine. Been through some nasty conditions and keeps on going "Bang". I added a Wolff's 25% stronger recoil spring to my gun, I cannot describe how great it has been in improving the speed/locking strength of the bolt. I recommend this spring as it is an easy install and only $12.99 last time I checked. :beer: :thumbsup:

I've killed lots of birds with this gun, been lights out...perfect. You won't go wrong with the M2 Field, and you won't go wrong with the SBE2 either. As I mentioned, pick the gun that simply fits/feels/shoulders the best and you'll have the best weapon FOR YOU! :hi:

Good Luck! :smile:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby LSUFAN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:28 am

thanks jonsey for the thorough review.
LSUFAN
hunter

Postby brianc142 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 am

If you have no interest in shooting 3.5 inch shells, then it would be a no brainer for me. M2 simply because it's cheaper, slightly lighter and arguably more reliable when shooting low powered shells. I have a SBE 2 but I've also had an M1 (same as M2 basically) and have an M2 20 that's handy. The M2 is a great all around shotgun.
brianc142
hunter

Postby SchaferJK » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:32 am

do not do what i did boght an m1 loved it all i ever need i thought canadians started landing in every field around my house so i thought need a 3.5 bought a nova love the gun kicks like a mule said screw it getting older bought me a sbe2 for christmas so u r on the right path bennelli just get sbe 2
SchaferJK
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:16 pm

SchaferJK wrote:do not do what i did boght an m1 loved it all i ever need i thought canadians started landing in every field around my house so i thought need a 3.5 bought a nova love the gun kicks like a mule said screw it getting older bought me a sbe2 for christmas so u r on the right path bennelli just get sbe 2

Punctuation??

I didn't realize Canadians preferred landing in fields over airports? Oh, wait you mean CANADAS!? In anycase 3" will do the trick on both Canadas and those pesky Canadians :thumbsup: :wink:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Bodycamp13 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:57 pm

I bought the M2. I may be getting a SBE2. After comparing them closer (more difference than I originally thought), the SBE2 balances between the hands more with the steel top on the receiver. The two guns also point quite differently due to the difference in receiver length. I shot a SBE for a while and decided that I didn't need 3.5" shells (still don't) but I don't shoot my M2 as well. The M2 is really muzzle-light in my opinion.

Both are great guns in terms of quality.

If I could find a good M1 I would most likely buy it.
Larry
aka Bodycamp13
Beretta 682 Gold with 31" barrels
Bodycamp13
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Bodycamp13 wrote:I bought the M2. I may be getting a SBE2. After comparing them closer (more difference than I originally thought), the SBE2 balances between the hands more with the steel top on the receiver. The two guns also point quite differently due to the difference in receiver length. I shot a SBE for a while and decided that I didn't need 3.5" shells (still don't) but I don't shoot my M2 as well. The M2 is really muzzle-light in my opinion.

Both are great guns in terms of quality.

If I could find a good M1 I would most likely buy it.

I thing Bodycamp13 is onto something profound here! :lol3:

If you can't decide, buy both of them and after shooting both for awhile choose one...or just keep them. :lol3: :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby ducklover22 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Both are excellent guns, i myself have 2 benelli's, one being the SBEII. I myself like having the option of 31/2, although if you do not need it, just get the m2. Again both are high quality guns and you really cannot go wrong.
ducklover22
hunter

Postby Frog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:32 pm

LSUFAN wrote:Gun also said M2 handle better. It felt good in my hands , so I guess it's up to me. I guess my real question should be, who shoots one and how do you like it?

If gun feels good and 3.5" shells is not a big deal you answered your own question. Confidence is a huge factor in shooting and if the gun feels good you will shoot better with it.

I bought a Jap made 3" A5 with tubes and shot it mostly with 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz steel shot and 3" shells only at Turkeys and geese. When Browning deleted the gun from its offerings I quickly shelved it and bought a used SBE. I never shot a 3.5 shell in it and wanted a wood gun again so bought a M2 with wood stock and forearm a couple years ago. I could not be happier.
Frog
hunter

Postby ltprod » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:54 am

Great info!!!
ltprod
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:38 am

I never sell guns, but I buy them with a few things in mind. One being resale value. Both of those guns will hold their value. So that's a wash. A second thing I consider, is options. The big difference, is the 3.5" capability in the SBE II. You could compare it to buying a half ton truck to a 3/4 ton truck. If they are both in your budget, which one would you rather have?
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum