Remington 1187 sportsman supermag waterfowl

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Remington 1187 sportsman supermag waterfowl

Postby rookiey1 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 pm

For the money this seems like a nice gun. Does anybody have any likes, or dislikes that own one of these before I purchase one?They are onsale for $699.00 right now.
rookiey1
hunter

Re: Remington 1187 sportsman supermag waterfowl

Postby id.remwingmaster » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:33 am

Can't say I've herd a good thing about them, but I wouldn't know. Mine is a 3" 1187, but I would imagine if taken care of right, it should shoot fine. But there's isn't a real good review out there about them... It's a shame cuz I love a Remington, but I hearthis one is a piece of s***
id.remwingmaster
hunter

Postby 97f150ext » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:41 am

I just bought one a week ago. I goose hunted with it the day after purchasing. I shot 3.5" Black Cloud BB's and the gun performed great. I was sold as soon I as held it in the store months ago. Unfortunately, I didn't plan on every store in my area selling out before I decided to purchase, so I had to order mine. I'm sure people will have opinions about this gun, but as far as I'm concerned it does what it was designed to do. It will not cycle 2 3/4 low brass, and it did not come with the required piece to cycle these loads. Other than that, I love it so far.
97f150ext
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:11 am

Remington is one of two manufacturers who seem to have taken a solid, reliable 3" autoloader and turned it into a troublesome 3.5" autoloader.
Browning, with their Gold, is the other.
mudpack
hunter

Postby AH64ADMP » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:40 am

Again I must ask, what is the primary use of the weapon? If your going to be shooting a gun with "Waterfowl" in it's name you might have to ask if shooting very light loads thru the gun are going to work as well as 3-3 1/2 shells. There are always exceptions to every type and brand of gun, but if you want an all around gun make sure you do your research. I own three different 11-87s each shoots well, even my Super Mag cycles light loads "most" of the time, however I don't use the Super Mag for Dove or Skeet though.

I got a VersaMax at Christmas, I found one on sale that had the camo for $1199.00 a very good price for a great gun. I have shot EVERY type of ammo thru it and have had no failures, and I tried mixing up all three types of shells to see if it would cough or hic-up, she never even blinked.

If you're wanting a great American made gun and don't need it tomorrow you might want to save your pennies and get a VersaMax. They should start going on sale again soon as hunting season is coming to a close.
AH64ADMP
hunter

Postby Shooting wide » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:08 pm

rookiey1 wrote:For the money this seems like a nice gun. Does anybody have any likes, or dislikes that own one of these before I purchase one?They are onsale for $699.00 right now.

That's a negative ghost rider.

If you look through the threads here and at other forums, or type "1187 super magnum review" into google, you will see what owners think of it.

Now I have heard some folks love theirs, but in the amount of time I had one never a single time did it properly cycle a round.

Yes, not one time did it fire and reload.
Shooting wide
hunter

Postby remingtonarms38 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:24 pm

I would strongly suggest you to not go with this gun...My brother, friend, and myself all three have the 1187 supermag and we get nothing but jams. I missed alot of birds this year because this gun turned into a single shot on several occasions. Thats why I am getting rid of mine. I would recommend paying a little more and get a SX3 in black synthetic.
remingtonarms38
hunter

Postby SouthWest Washington Slayer » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Had mine for three years and no flaws. Cycled all loads from 3 1/2 to 2 3/4 no problems and I never out the gas ring that it came with for shooting trap. Recently I broke a link and a breach bolt, I have put over 3,000 rounds through it before this happened though. I loved it and upgraded to the Versamax in January and love it even more!

Good luck let me know if you have any questions
VersaMAx
SouthWest Washington Slayer
hunter

Postby rookiey1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:31 pm

Wow, I guess it depends on who you ask... I'm torn here 50/50 on the response's. ooo what to do, ok I just want a nice reliable autoloader that's affordable. I mostly shoot 3" and still plan on shooting them, however I wan't the ability to shoot 3 1/2" if I decide to sounds like I'll have to look at the versamax.
rookiey1
hunter

Postby Rob MacK » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:08 pm

I like Remington's so no bashing brands here. Unless they changed from about 6 or 7 years ago I would say not to get one. At that time at the local gun shop they were the most troublesome gun they had. It was confirmed again to me last year by a gunsmith friend of mine who had the same issues in his shop in another location. Its a shame because I really like the way they handle. Also a friend of mine was quoted as saying it was the most expensive single shot he has ever had.

Cheers,

Rob MacK
Baikal-MP-153.....The other, other "B" gun.
Rob MacK
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Agreed avoid 11-87's. All i ever see is them having issues. Remington has really fallen off what they used to be.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:04 pm

I've owned Remingtons all my life and they have served me well. Just have to keep them very clean and dry. That said, I won a Winchester SX2 about 10 years ago and I have fallen in love with this gun. It shoulders, looks and operates as close to a Remington as you can get, other than the release button on the side (which is better IMO) and the gas piston. If I was looking, and know what I know now, I would seriously consider a used SX2 over a new 1187. Think you would be more satisfied since they handle almost alike and Browning's service, should you need it, is better.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:31 am

10 years ago I bought an 1187 Supermag. To make a long story short, after about a year of use, it started having a lot of issues. It got to the point where I carried a ton of parts in my blind bag and a backup gun in case I didn't have the right parts. Everything from feed latch, to the linkage, to the trigger assembly all eventually gave out. The gunsmith I took it to didn't think very favorably of them based on his experiences with them. I eventually got rid of it and bought a "B" brand gun.

My brother also had a regular 1187, he bought it about the same time, he also eventually had to buy a different gun b/c of how unreliable it was.

I used to be a remington fan, but b/c of my experiences, something drastic is going to have to happen with their QC process before I consider buying another one.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Weim all the way » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:56 pm

I have to say I have not had a single trouble with any remington i have ever bought from the 870 and 1100 mag my dad gave me that are 30+ years old to the 887 and 1187 super i love them all and wouldn't take anything for them and the main reason i don't buy browning, benelli, or other really expensive guns is because you pay $400 extra because of the name and if you look at it according to NRA magazine remington had the best shotgun of 2011 a little bit pricey but still showing you that remington is top quality
Weim all the way
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:54 am

Weim all the way wrote:according to NRA magazine remington had the best shotgun of 2011

Actually, the "Shotgun of the Year" is not an award for the best shotgun you could buy in 2011, it is the magazine editor's pick as their favorite NEW shotgun, introduced that year. The editors don't buy and use that shotgun all season to find out how reliable it gun is; they look at the features offered, the price point, and assume the gun will function as advertised.
Sometimes, that's a bad assumption. Sometimes, it isn't. Time...and only time...will tell.

As I said before; the 3" 11-87 was a workhorse. The 3.5" 11-87 has had enough issues that I would not buy one unless it was a used gun that I KNEW had a long history of reliable operation.
mudpack
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Weim all the way wrote:I have to say I have not had a single trouble with any remington i have ever bought from the 870 and 1100 mag my dad gave me that are 30+ years old to the 887 and 1187 super i love them all and wouldn't take anything for them and the main reason i don't buy browning, benelli, or other really expensive guns is because you pay $400 extra because of the name and if you look at it according to NRA magazine remington had the best shotgun of 2011 a little bit pricey but still showing you that remington is top quality

Pick up your fathers old 1100 or 870. You seriously can't tell a difference between those and the recent models Remington has? The new ones are way worse. The fit and finish feels cheap the internals are rough out of the box. The Express models they put out are awful... They rust after being exposed to a wet environment in minutes. Remington is far from top quality anymore...
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby Weim all the way » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:42 am

I have already hunted with all his old guns and mine many many times and other than the engraving on the 1100 there really isn't a noticeable difference when I shoot a 3" in it or the 1187 they both have given me no problems since the day I started using either there both extremely rugged if there's something your not suppose to do with your gun while hunting like use for a paddle, trail maker,ect I've done it with both and the 870 but I will say I haven't abused my 887 to that extent yet but I still haven't had a single issue of any kind out of it except a bruised shoulder from the 3.5" it kicks like a mule and most everybody that I hunt with that use a Remington haven't had any issues other than 1 or 2 jams throughout the season so either you just got some bad luck with em or I've had reallygood luck either way I'll probably not own any other brand of gun unless it's a deal I can't pass
Weim all the way
hunter

Postby bayou06 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:15 am

Wonderful wife bought me one for Chistmas in 2011. It did act up the first hunt, but I did get a good deal of mud in the receiver (it was a mud fest in the blind that hunt). But after that trip, all cleaned up and the gas chamber DRY, she functions perfectly. Was warned that if you lube the gas chamber area, you will have cycling problems.

She has really a soft recoil for shooting heavy 3.5" loads. Shooting 3" is like shooting 2.75 skeet loads. If I had a critizism, it would be the finish. I hunt the SE Louisiana marsh (brackish to salt water). If I don't clean her up soon after the trip, I get surface corrosion quickly. I'm sending her off here soon to get parkarized. In the environment we hunt, it only makes sense.
bayou06
Newb

Postby bull64 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:32 am

I have an 1187 supermag that has been a workhorse for me. I use it for both waterfowl and turkeys.
Keep it clean and it will serve you well.
bull64
hunter

Postby id.remwingmaster » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:23 pm

i am currently saving for the versamax, im excited to get one. my grandfather has the 1187 sportsman supermag and loves it. its all about keeping them clean and taking care of the gun. its funny to see people cuss the gun about not cycling light loads. but on the barrell it is engraven " not for light loads". if you take care of your gun like you should, itll shoot great and be a workhorse putting the bennelli to shame. like it is said above, you cant beat the 3" 1187 , i have the 1187 premier and have never had a issue. you really dont need 3 1/2" anyways.
id.remwingmaster
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:06 am

Never had a Remington that I could not make run like sewing machine - - -

Some folks just need a single barrel Topper :biggrin:
Bay Bob
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Born and raised on remingtons. Love them. 11-87's broke my brand loyalty. Sad too because remington can be a great firearm if they would build them right. Now my loyalty lies with beretta and browning
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby ericbythebay » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:07 pm

I proudly purchase a Remington Shurshot Turkey 11-87. Been a Remington fan for two decades...

The specific model I wanted had to be ordered, which was fine. After the ten day waiting period, California, I opened the box to discover that Remington forgot to put the sights on... It has since been sent back for sights.... What else did they forget to put in it? I will check the bolt before I leave the store...

Got the shotgun back... Missing the "Handy carrying case" and optic sight replacements...

VERY disappointing. I shoulda bought the Vinci.
ericbythebay
Newb

Postby billbolanos » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:13 pm

are they out for sale i would like to have 1197 super mag syntic stock that is that shoot 2 3/4 -3 1/2 shells
billbolanos
Newb

Return to Shotgun Forum