Barrel Bending?

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Barrel Bending?

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:47 pm

Ive heard that if your gun is shooting to the side you can get your barrel bended. Can anyone explain this process to me? Do they just bend your barrel a tiny bit? What are the disadvantages of it?
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:00 pm

the old timers would just put it in the y of a tree and give it a heave. i did it once on a smoothbore muzzleloader barrel and it worked just fine. i dont know if a guy would have enuf ooomph to do it to a modern steel barrel tho...
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:06 pm

I just thought if you bent it to much it would malfunction or cause the barrel to explode or something.

(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Admin2 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:39 pm

it is best if left to a gunsmith thaqt knows what he is doing, but yes it can be straightened to shoot straight.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Gooseboy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:41 pm

Sweet thats awsome thanks for all the info guys. Now can anyone explain lengthining the forcing cone and what a forcing cone is?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby pennsyltucky » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:53 am

pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Marshwalker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:47 pm

how can you really tell ? i mean does it take a while or some guns just manufactured like it ?
Arise...Kill.. and eat
- Acts 10:13

"Kill a crow, Save a duck".
Marshwalker
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:07 pm

Tell what?

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:25 pm

Did something happen to your gun to bend the barrel?

Usually it's not the gun, its the shooter! :toofunny:

If your barrel is really bent, I suggest getting a new one. Bending is never going be a good option.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:31 pm

Why wouldnt it be a good option? Im just wondering because after hearing about SBE IIs not patterning straight i might do this if the one i buy doesnt pattern right. Oh yeah thanks for the links on the forcing cones.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:00 pm

I have not heard about the SBE not patterning straight, if that is the case, it sounds rather sad. I would never buy a gun that had a barrel that had to be bent to shoot straight, I mean come on, what kinda stuff are they selling? A really skilled person could put a slight bend on a barrel without destroying it, but it would never be as good as a barrel that was manufactured correctly the first time.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:15 pm

Its on benellis forums. A guys is shooting 3 inches to the right. And theres a topic in the shotgun forumn going on about it right now.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:16 pm

I just read the post on the SBII. It sounds like the Monkey who runs the machine that taps the end of the Barrel for the choke wasn't paying attention to his work. :yes:

I gotta really feel for those people with that problem. I would demand a new barrel for sure! :pissed:

If you can visually see that the choke is not concentric with the barrel you got serious problems. Those things are supposed to be held to tolerances that you cannot see with your eye. +or- .005 of an inch and thats alot for a machinist.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:23 pm

Yea i would be pissed. If you pay that much for a gun it better not malfunction. Im also a little worries becuase ive heard alot that Benellis customer service isnt the best.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:26 pm

unless you have your gun mounted in a vice, you are always going to be off somewhat on your pattern. In order to really see wether the gun is shooting straight you need to eliminate all the human error, That is where the vice comes in. Even with a vice you still have the variable of the eye ball that is looking down the barrel of the shotgun. One person might look down it and say it's straight and someone else might look down it and say it's crooked. It is a shot gun, I mean think about it, how many people killed birds with a side by side shot gun, do you think those barrels are patterned perfect, or what about an over and under? How do you get two barrels to shoot in exactly the same spot? Plus the shot is never going to fly through the air in exactly the same formation time after time. You also have to consider the amunition as a variable.
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Yea that is true... Good point but still like i said if its that expensive it should pattern better than that.

Gooseboy
Banned

Postby WIDGEONATOR » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:45 pm

I agree, it definately sounds defective. :withstupid:
WIDGEONATOR
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Mon May 01, 2006 12:20 pm

I snapped the vent rib off of an 870 in an attempt to straighten the barrel up and down, sideways may make a difference but I would leave it to a gunsmith. The amount of force needed to bend it was unbeleiveable. The barrel wasn't bent from the factory, the moron that installed a choke on the end didn't get it right.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum