Best pump shotguns on the market.

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby benellinova54 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 am

What would you guys recommend as some of the best pump guns on the market im looking to get a new one to replace my benelli nova.
benellinova54
hunter

Re: Best pump shotguns on the market.

Postby mw46 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:22 am

The super nova :wink: or maybe a marshberg
The coot fighter
mw46
hunter

Postby Basstar » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:35 am

Opinions are like belly buttons. :smile:

FWIW, I have an 835 and like it very well. I also own an older 500 that I have used a ton for over 30 years and it has been flawless. The only reason I upgraded to the 835 was to shoot steel when it became mandatory. I own 5 barrels for it including a slug barrel and it has taken more game than I could possibly imagine including doves, squirrels, rabbits, quail, ducks, geese and more whitetails than I can count. I gave it a "custom" spray can camo job when I bought it, long before "camo was cool". Kinda sounds like an old Barbara Mandrell country song, doesn't it? On a funny side, The gun and all five barrels only cost me around $200.00 new when I purchased them. My ROI on that firearm is less than $1.00 per kill!

As you can tell I am biased towards the Mossbergs but to be fair, a cousin and a good friend each have a BPS and I like those very well, also.

Good luck with your selection.
Basstar
hunter

Postby cootlover » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 am

Ithaca #37 12 gauge waterfowl
cootlover
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:08 am

I would rate the Browning BPS and Ithaca 37 as the best. My personal favorite is the Browning. I would not rate the 835 Mossberg or the Benelli Nova as the "best" by any means. I have owned all of them and have never had issues with any of these pumps. I have not owned the newest model 870 or 887 Remingtons so I cant say about them. I had two older 870 Wingmasters and an 870 Express that I did have issues with. Right now, I have two BPS' and a model 92 Weatherby. I bought my son a new BPS for his first duck gun. He has other guns now but that BPS is still his first love. I think he still prefers it to his Benelli Super 90 auto, at least he used his BPS more this past season. I have probably had ten BPS guns in both 10ga and 12ga and never had a single problem with any of them. I loaned one of my BPS' to a friend for a whole season and he had problems short shucking it alot for some reason. Another plus for the BPS is that Hastings made wadlock barrels for them. Add a wadlock to your BPS and you will have a duck gun that will pattern better than any other.

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:41 am

I don't think there is a pump out there that is of better quality than a BPS. Ergonmically there are things I would change about it if I could, like the safety location and comb angle, but as far as the quality goes I don't think it has an equal.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Old Guardsman » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:32 pm

Of the pump actions currently available I would recommend the Browning BPS (own a current NWTF version and use it for my turkey shotgun). I also like the new Ithaca M37 - don't own one, but there are two in stock at an area gunshop that I have looked over and I think the quality is there, might end up with one eventually (they are pricey, but very well fitted and finished). Remington still offers the Wingmaster, which is the higher grade M870 - they are pretty well proven shotguns.
Old Guardsman
hunter

Postby billsarima » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Can't beat the Remington 870!!!! :thumbsup:
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby 10gaOkie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Bill,
Are you talking about the new ones or the old Wingmasters?

Chris
10gaOkie
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:20 pm

benellinova54 wrote:What would you guys recommend as some of the best pump guns on the market im looking to get a new one to replace my benelli nova.

Just curious, why do you want to replace the Nova? I've had one since the first year they came out in camo (I think) and have never had any issues with it. There absolutely can't be an easier gun to disassemble and assemble. You can do it waist deep in water if you don't drop the pins!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Old Guardsman wrote:Of the pump actions currently available I would recommend the Browning BPS (own a current NWTF version and use it for my turkey shotgun). I also like the new Ithaca M37 - don't own one, but there are two in stock at an area gunshop that I have looked over and I think the quality is there, might end up with one eventually (they are pricey, but very well fitted and finished). Remington still offers the Wingmaster, which is the higher grade M870 - they are pretty well proven shotguns.

That's interesting. After reading your post I went to the Remington site. I had no idea they were still making the Wingmaster. They look a little pricey, but I haven't bought a shotgun in a while. I think those and the Model 12 have proven about all they need to!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I used to shoot a Mossberg 835 day in and day out when i first got started. Good gun never gave me any trouble.

If money wasn't an issue at the time i would have for sure bought a BPS. No doubt the best pump out there for a "reasonable pump price". I have two older M37's a 16GA and a 12GA. I was looking at the pricing at the new ones they sell and 1,000 bucks is hard to shell out for a pump to me.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby billsarima » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Chris...
My 870 supermag is probably five or six years old. Old faithfull. Has been a great gun. I prefer it over my 835 mossy.

10gaOkie wrote:Bill,
Are you talking about the new ones or the old Wingmasters?

Chris
Don't say a word about my dog being fat other wise you can fetch your own duck!!!
billsarima
hunter

Postby troutman561 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 pm

I add another vote to the BPS. I have hunted mine for 2 seasons and couldn't be happier and have had no issues. The gun is smooth and is quality. It definitely feels "tighter" and much more smooth than a nova.
troutman561
hunter

Postby Sask hunter » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:14 pm

billsarima wrote:Can't beat the Remington 870!!!! :thumbsup:

X2
Sask hunter
hunter

Postby benellinova54 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Im leaning towards a BPS or a smith and wesson 1000 even though its semi auto i can pick up a 1000 for 400 and its in almost perfect condition.
benellinova54
hunter

Postby Basstar » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:30 am

benellinova54 wrote:Im leaning towards a BPS or a smith and wesson 1000 even though its semi auto i can pick up a 1000 for 400 and its in almost perfect condition.

BN54, if you are now leaning towards a semi, you might be doing yourself a favor by looking at the 390 Beretta. Awesome semi auto and very affordable price. Only shoots up to 3" ammo though. I have never seen nor fired the Weatherby myself but the Weatherby semi has been highly recommended to me and is also a very affordable semi. Again only 3" ammo I believe.

Since you have several months before season, i would take the time to check my selection thoroughly before I made a move.

IMHO, I would choose either the 835 or the BPS as a pump, but I would be hard pressed not to give the 390 Beretta a seriously look if I was not going to shoot 3.5" ammo.

Again, good luck with your selection.
Basstar
hunter

Postby Bay Bob » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:59 am

The Wingmaster is still available, and there is nothing better - - -

Bay Bob
hunter

Postby cannon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:38 am

Bay Bob wrote:The Wingmaster is still available, and there is nothing better - - -

I would disagree. I would say that a NIB 1990 manufacture 3" wingmaster with screw-in chokes is better. I liked the trigger guards better on those models. I'd still pick one of those over any other brand of pump, though.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby clampdaddy » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:08 pm

The new Wingmasters definitely are not as nice as the older ones. The wood checkering is better, I'll give them that, and they are better than the new Express guns but that isn't saying much. The local gunshop had an almost new Wingmaster that sat on the used rack for months with a $400 price tag. Almost every time I stopped by I saw the same thing, a customer would see the shiney Wingmaster and light up when they saw the price tag, pick up the gun, rack it a couple times, a funny look would come over them, then they'd look at the big trigger guard, put the gun down, and walk away.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:35 pm

The Mossbergs, the Remington Wingmaster, the BPS and the Ithaca are all fine guns. The BPS and the Ithaca are probably the best of the lot. But, if I were getting a new gun, I'd have a seriousl look at a used Wingmaster in good condition. Of all the guns mentioned, it is the easiest to break down and clean. And to me, hunting in salt marshes, that is an important factor. Given it's 60 odd year history, it doesn't look like there'll be much of an issue with parts availablity.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby dmiller_time » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Dude 870 no doubt. Got one from my dad that his dad gave him when he was young. it has fired everytime I pulled the trigger and my dad never had any probleme out of it. I know I have put in the ball park of 10k through this gun with 0 faliures. Used it for everything from shooting skeet and ducks to deer and hogs... It was my go to gun befor I got a versmax. Now it lays under the bed loaded with 3in oo buck. hehe
dmiller_time
hunter

Postby blackrhino » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:55 pm

Ithica 37 or the BPS. The bottom eject is nice for picking up your litter and makes your partner happy when he's not catching spent rounds in the face, That being said I own a m37 a m870 but I make my duckface with a AL390. :wink:
Duck'n ain't easy!
blackrhino
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:The Mossbergs, the Remington Wingmaster, the BPS and the Ithaca are all fine guns. The BPS and the Ithaca are probably the best of the lot. But, if I were getting a new gun, I'd have a seriousl look at a used Wingmaster in good condition. Of all the guns mentioned, it is the easiest to break down and clean. And to me, hunting in salt marshes, that is an important factor. Given it's 60 odd year history, it doesn't look like there'll be much of an issue with parts availablity.

Frank

Good point as I have picked up 90%+ Wingmasters at local gun shows at prices from $150 (30" plain barrel 3" magnum) to $250 (trap model w/grade II wood) from guys walking around the floor carrying one with a sticker on it.
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Weim all the way » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:30 pm

the 870 wingmaster is the best pump shotgun that has ever been made hands down
Weim all the way
hunter

Next

Return to Shotgun Forum