Best pump shotguns on the market.

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Best pump shotguns on the market.

Postby Rajah » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:32 pm

I'll also add to the BPS list. However, I am a left handed shooter so that helps with choosing the Browning over the others. I did have an 870 express that I loved but ended up selling it to a friend.
Bazinga!!
Rajah
hunter

Postby Alaquacker » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:29 pm

Mossburg 835 all the way. Have 2 870 and don't like them and they just sit in the safe and collect dust.
Alaquacker
hunter

Postby duckheadforge » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:49 pm

I'll have to vote for the bps also. I've owned all of these pumps except the 37. Im sure its nice but it is a little too pricey for me for the duck blind. I had ejector problems with supernova that so far seem to be corrected, but it is by far the fastest to disassemble of any pump on the market. Less than 1 minute disassemble and same for reassemble but it would be gone if someone offered me a fair price. The wingmaster is nice and the express is a durable gun, but My bps isn't going anywhere ! You do not need a (back-up gun) if you have a bps..
duckheadforge
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:45 am

I have a feeling that if most folks on here hunted a BPS for a full season, they would have to agree that there isn't a better pump out there. They are pricey for a pump, but there's nothing better in that bracket. I use an autoloader most of the time now, but I've had a BPS for around 6 years now that I wouldn't dream of selling.
R-Factor
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:39 am

New 870 express guns ARE JUNK. i have had multiple guys come out to hunt fields with us with them and they jammed, misfired, or didn't cycle. i have a older one made in the late 80s my dad gave me and that gun cycles every single time you pull that triggers. i shoot berreta autos for birds and a ithica M37 deerslayer made in 71 for deer drives in thick cover tho.
mallards 8 (1band)
Wigeon 1
Pintail 1
woodies 7
goldens 3
buffies 1
bluebills 1
geese 57
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby Leaky-NY » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:37 pm

To me the BPS is the closest to a Mod 12 Winchester you can find. Its a great gun for either righty or lefty. The mod 37 is good also. And if you want a new 870 spend the money. I have a 835 and its been a work horse for me. Yes they seem heavy and bulky, but I started in the Army carrying a M14 so I don't mind.

Leaky
If it aint ducks, Dogs or boats I cant talk now!
Leaky-NY
hunter

Postby Cold » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:04 pm

I'll preface my opinion by saying I'm a southpaw, which tends to trump any other single factor (except safety & dependability) when it comes to my gun buying.

That said, my dad and grandpap bought me an Ithaca Model 37 20 ga. when I was about 13 or 14, and to this day (I'm in my late 20s) it's the only shotgun I own. It's been absolutely 100% solid from day one, and the fit of the gun and the way it pulls up are, for me, the gold standard of a smooth handling gun. I use it for everything that isn't a deer (though I have taken it out on the occasional deer hunt, I've never actually shot it at a deer).

That said, I'm entering my third season of waterfowl, and I've started to feel it's limitations for the first time, mostly in the form of limited ammo variety and availability, but I also can't help but wince a bit when it ends up muddy, icy, etc.

Though I've decided that I want to add a 12 ga. auto for waterfowl (and to that end, have just decided to save a bit at a time and get myself a top tier gun like an SBE2...one of the few available in lefty), but if I decided to get a pump instead, I'd get the 12 ga. Ithaca M37 in a heartbeat.
Cold
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 pm

Since duckhead dredged up an old thread, I'll add my two cents.

Best pumpgun is a Wingmaster.
Smooth.
Reliable.
Fits everyone (seems to).
Not overly-expensive.
Parts available anywhere.
Every gunsmith can take one apart and put it back together blindfolded.
Simple.
Effective.
Seems to last forever and a day.

No other shotgun can make the same claims.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Hunterhog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:43 am

Weim all the way wrote:the 870 wingmaster is the best pump shotgun that has ever been made hands down

I love my 870 Express SM, but I couldn't agree more. When I went from a 20 to a 12 around the beginning of high school, I used my grandfather's old Wingmaster that only took 2 3/4 shells. Never had one problem with that old thing.
Hunterhog
hunter

Postby Hunterhog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 am

I grew up on an 870 Express 20 and currently use an 870 Super Mag 12 and love it. I also used a Wingmaster when I went from 20 to 12, and it was probably the best ever made.

Dad bought a BPS 12 in the early 1980s and still uses it to this day, and it's fantastic.
Hunterhog
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:55 am

Why are you replacing the Nova? As a pump gun, I think it is as good as it gets. I have no problem with the BPS or the 870, but the Nova is a pretty damn good gun. If youre looking for an upgrade, how about an auto? Are you going to change your username too? ;)
Gabagool
hunter

Postby TomKat » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:59 am

I have a wingmaster magnum I want to sell. PM me if you have any interest.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Gabagool » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:11 am

mudpack wrote:Since duckhead dredged up an old thread, I'll add my two cents.

Smooth.
Reliable.
Not overly-expensive.
Simple.
Effective.

Agree 100%, BUT
New ones are terrible
Old ones don't take 3" unless you find a magnum or 3.5"
You gotta find one (which isn't too difficult)

I love my wingmasters - comfortable and smooth as heck. Personally, I think the Nova breaks down and reassembles easier and quicker, especially in the field.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:56 am

Gabagool wrote:
mudpack wrote:Best pumpgun is a Wingmaster.

Agree 100%, BUT
New ones are terrible

I love my wingmasters - comfortable and smooth as heck. Personally, I think the Nova breaks down and reassembles easier and quicker, especially in the field.

Hmmmm. My Wingmaster is a 1991 SP, so I can't say you're wrong about a 2014 Wingmaster, but I can't imagine they'd be "terrible". Are you sure you aren't talking about the 870 Express? They are not the same gun.
Won't take a 3" unless it is a Magnum? Well, yeah....that's what makes the Magnum a Magnum. :huh:
Nova's break down/reassembles easier in the field? You don't have to break down a Wingmaster in the field!! :thumbsup:

Don't buy a gun because it's easy to fix...buy a gun because it won't need fixing.

Last edited by mudpack on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Gabagool » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:19 pm

mudpack wrote:
Gabagool wrote:
mudpack wrote:Best pumpgun is a Wingmaster.

Agree 100%, BUT
New ones are terrible

Hmmmm. My Wingmaster is a 1991 SP, so I can't say you're wrong about a 2014 Wingmaster, but I can't imagine they'd be "terrible". Are you sure you aren't talking about the 870 Express? They are not the same gun.
Won't take a 3" unless it is a Magnum? Well, yeah....that's what makes the Magnum and Magnum. :huh:
Nova's break down/reassembles easier in the field? You don't have to break down a Wingmaster in the field!! :thumbsup:

Don't buy a gun because it's easy to fix...buy a gun because it won't need fixing.

Don't take 3" shells unless it is a Magnum? Well, yeah, that's what makes a Magnum a Magnum.... :huh:
As far as taking apart and putting back together harder than a Nova...you don't have to take a Wingmaster apart in the field!!

Thank you for defining the term magnum with the word magnum.

The Nova takes any shell, any size, end of story.

Breakdown in the field? Well, lets put it this way. The only reason why the Nova required a disassembly was because of user stupidity. While wading through the creeks that cut through the salt marshes, I tried to step up onto the marsh when it gave way under me. I fell forward into the water, taking the gun with me. It was completely submerged in saltwater and mud.

I pulled my dumb ass up, grabbed the gun and made it to the bank as a flock of geese passed over and dropped in.

After my wet, muddy Nova dropped a pair of birds, I thought it would be wise to quickly take it apart and clean it out.

I don't dislike the wingmaster. I have 2. I think theyre awesome. I'm looking for a 20ga. I think its a more comfortable gun, but overall, if I had to have one gun and those two were my choices, I would take the Nova. Its more versatile and, I think, durable.
Gabagool
hunter

Postby Sgtstadanko707 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:49 pm

mudpack wrote:Since duckhead dredged up an old thread, I'll add my two cents.

Smooth.
Reliable.
Not overly-expensive.
Simple.
Effective.

Agreed. 870 wing master. Hands down. 7 years in the field and not one problem. It seems like the dirtier it is the better it shoots. I clean it once a year and it works like a champ.
2013/2014 season
Days's in the field- 44

Number of birds- who cares.
Vegetarian is an old Indian word for " I don't hunt so good"
Sgtstadanko707
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:11 pm

535 mossberg. favorite pump I have ever had. never had a single problem with it and seemed like as long as you pointed it in the general direction you wanted to shoot, it would knock down whatever you were aiming for. There's magic in dat dare gun
lbhansford
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:36 pm

lbhansford wrote:.... as long as you pointed it in the general direction you wanted to shoot, it would knock down whatever you were aiming for.

Of course that's an exaggeration, but I know what you mean: I have a 20ga. BPS that seems to kill birds even when I think, as I pull the trigger, "well, I've missed that one.....".
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:46 pm

Gabagool wrote:The Nova takes any shell, any size, end of story..

Sorry, but you're wrong.
Will it take a 10ga shell?
How about a 16? or a 20?

I know, you meant any 12 ga shell, right? Does that make it "better" than a Wingmaster? Not for those of us who don't shoot 3.5" shells at ducks.
Tell you what, get back to us in 2075, if the Nova is still in production then. That's when it will have the history that the Wingmaster enjoys today. I'm betting that the Nova will be but a distant memory (at best) by then. In the meantime, enjoy your Nova. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Yuchi1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:15 pm

mudpack wrote:
Gabagool wrote:The Nova takes any shell, any size, end of story..

Sorry, but you're wrong.
Will it take a 10ga shell?
How about a 16? or a 20?

I know, you meant any 12 ga shell, right? Does that make it "better" than a Wingmaster? Not for those of us who don't shoot 3.5" shells at ducks.
Tell you what, get back to us in 2075, if the Nova is still in production then. That's when it will have the history that the Wingmaster enjoys today. I'm betting that the Nova will be but a distant memory (at best) by then. In the meantime, enjoy your Nova. :thumbsup:

And, after they've made 10 million* of them.

* http://www.remington.com/product-famili ... l-870.aspx
Sent from my Sumerian tablets

Does the number of bands claimed simply mean you have an Ebay account?

FSH Pro Staffer

High Potentate, NSSB (no spinning shotcup brotherhood)
Yuchi1
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 am

I cant say as it's the best but my 835 throws some mighty fine patterns with everything from light 2 3/4" #9 shot through 3" 4 buck.I had a 500 before this one and also have an 870 but I like this one best.If I were to hazard a guess as to the best I would vote for the BPS though I have no experience with them.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 am

if your looking for one better than a nova try a super nova or the winchester SXP or remington 887.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby mawtrfowler » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Super nova for sure
mawtrfowler
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:10 pm

:bow: :bow: :bow: REMINGTON 870 :bow: :bow: :bow:

Get a early one. :clapping:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Smith » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Well, we've named every pump gun on the market. Maybe we should be asking: "Does anybody make a pump gun that routinely fails to work properly?" Frankly, I've never seen one.
Smith
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum