Remington SP-10

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Re: Remington SP-10

Postby solway gunner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:34 pm

:hammer:
Last edited by solway gunner on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solway gunner
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:39 pm

johnmoses wrote:I have a Browning gold lite 10. I have killed a bunch of birds, for example, ducks, geese and turkeys with that "sack of crap" never ever had a problem with it. Nor has "the cocking lever" ???? flew out

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

:lol3:
ok,"operating handle"whatever you want to call it-the little thing you pull back on to load the gun .
listen buddy thats one of a list of fairly common faults with golds that browning have been trying to fix or work out since they came out in 1988 or 89 and if you didnt know that before now you do...of course you could even chime in on a browning gold thread and tell everyone youve got a good one that actualy works as no one here realy gives a hoot.,if you check the thread title youl understand why...
solway gunner
hunter

Postby johnmoses » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm

Wrong on several counts, first I ain't yo "buddy", second it is called a breach bolt handle. You have probably never owned this gun and believe everything you read or told, considering your vast knowledge of guns. Recess is over you can go back to class.

johnmoses
hunter

Postby DoubleDutchChuck » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

I had an SP-10 for 19 years. "Bout 3yrs ago, I did some trading and traded my SP,along with some cash, for a really nice sporting clays O/U. Thought I could "get by" w/ my BPS-10. NOT!!!!! So, I've purchased a Brn Gold Lite 10. As for how it patterns, I've no problem with that, it shoots great patterns. I will say tho, the Gold 10 is very finicky about length of shells. I never had a problem with shells ejecting in my SP-10, but some of these "NEW" Remington hulls that I bought 10 years ago, and yes,they're never fired, do not eject thru thru new Gold 10. Had absolutely no problem shooting them thru the SP. I've had to shorten the hulls for them to operate the way they should, in the Browning. Am regreting that I didn't do more scouring for another used SP, but I will have another in the future. Now that I've handled,shot, and used both guns, it's my opinion that the SP is the better gun.The SP is about a 1/2 lb heavier then the Gold Lite, but still a better gun, IMO.
"Listen to those Whispering Wings"
DoubleDutchChuck
hunter

Postby johnmoses » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:12 pm

Both are good guns. And they both will kill whatever flys.

johnmoses
hunter

Postby solway gunner » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm

johnmoses wrote:Wrong on several counts, first I ain't yo "buddy", second it is called a breach bolt handle. You have probably never owned this gun and believe everything you read or told, considering your vast knowledge of guns. Recess is over you can go back to class.

:lol3:
that depends where you buy from -brownells list as "operating handle",midwestgunworks call it a..."operating handle"
suppose you could also call it a cocking arm...?but you caught my drift anyway ,cowboy.

browning have made some great guns.,but that isnt one of them and yes your correct i havent owned one and i wouldnt own one as a free gift,but plenty people including my buddys have since they hit the market .,yeah reliable alright- realy funny.. :yes: .if you can recall back to 1988 youl remember the chequred history regarding reliability theyve had to date-(check DDCs post).,but since you strike me as a loudmouth who for no apparent reason jumped into this thread wearing his golds are better than SP10s promo T and ball cap you also appear deluded as well,and as intermittent as that daft steed your riding too. never mind ,we all know your correct.. honestly.. :hi:
solway gunner
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:23 am

One day I will own an SP-10.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Kiwi_bloke » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:59 am

I've had my SP-10 for 18 years. Wouldn't sell it. I'm not too sure why you have to push and hold the side button in to load shells. That's not my favorite feature. I had the forcing cone ahead of the chamber reamed out to a more gentle taper. Also installed a Briley choke and even patterned it with various home loads with lead, nickel and copper plated shot. Interesting results. The home loads can be set up to shoot pests, for instance, with 1,1/2 oz of lead as an off-season practice load. I find a little square of thin wax paper used as an overshot wad keeps my buffer in. Ballistic Products had everything I needed including 10 ga loading manuals and their BPD-10 pattern driver wads.

For use on mallards and geese with steel, it's a very good gun and the camo-carry strap is quite useful too, on any duck gun but especially this one. Only thing I'd suggest to long time owners of it is to strip the stock off it and make sure the return spring in there is not all rusted up. A periodic clean and grease of this is a good idea, particularly if you've dropped it in the water at some time.

The SP-10 makes a good back up gun if you're hunting with newbies who've clipped a bird but didn't kill it. I hold off shooting and pick out any that need a quick follow up like this, when the range is starting to stretch out. I'll be using it this season, without doubt.
Kiwi_bloke
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:32 am

Kiwi_bloke wrote:For use on mallards and geese with steel, it's a very good gun and the camo-carry strap is quite useful too, on any duck gun but especially this one. Only thing I'd suggest to long time owners of it is to strip the stock off it and make sure the return spring in there is not all rusted up. A periodic clean and grease of this is a good idea, particularly if you've dropped it in the water at some time.

Another reminder is that little red gasket in the gas tube. I suggest everyone with an SP10 get an extra as it will go out after a while. Mine lasted 15 years and I honestly didnt even know it was there until it fell out.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby rcase1234 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:19 pm

blackened89 wrote:I wouldn't say that the golds are far superior.... they're made in japan.

I'm with this guy! I love my American made Remington's and Mossbergs! That's all I own for shotguns. I do like the Versa Max but would love to see the 10 gauge come back so I can get one made here in the good ol' USA. I refuse to buy some Japanese hunk of garbage. I know I'm gonna catch hell from saying stuff from Japan is garbage but that's my opinion.
rcase1234
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 pm

rcase1234 wrote:
blackened89 wrote:I wouldn't say that the golds are far superior.... they're made in japan.

I'm with this guy! I love my American made Remington's and Mossbergs! That's all I own for shotguns. I do like the Versa Max but would love to see the 10 gauge come back so I can get one made here in the good ol' USA. I refuse to buy some Japanese hunk of garbage. I know I'm gonna catch hell from saying stuff from Japan is garbage but that's my opinion.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:21 pm

I just finished my second season my SP-10. I grew up with pump guns and love my Remington 870, but I wanted to start shooting a 10 gauge. I thought about getting a Browning pump 10, but the SP-10 felt more natural to me. The weight took some getting used to and I had to retrain my brain not to pull back on the forend everytime I shot.

The main thing I was looking for in a 10 gauge was to get good patterns with bigger steel shot. During my first tries at a patterning board, I was getting blotchy patterns with the stock SP-10 chokes, so I ended up getting a Terror choke and was quickly impressed. I get great patterns with #3 steel all the way up to BBB. I ended up settling on 1 1/2 of B shot, which works well for the mix of geese and ducks I get. I load using Federal Hulls, RSI wads, and Steel powder.

I hunt in a salt marsh and the factory finish started rusting quickly, even when I wiped the gun down frequently. After the first season with the gun, I sent it to Birdsong to have Black-T finish put on it. The finish has held up very well this year and am really glad I had it done. Now the only rust I ever need to take care of is on my Terror choke, which I didn't have coated, and on the inside of the chamber.

My first season I had problems with the firing pin not being set on the second or third shot. I would just pull the trigger and nothing would happen even though the shell had cycled. After much frustration, I finally figured out that I wasn't releasing my finger quickly enough during the earlier shot and this would allow the next shell to cycle, but it would not allow the firing pin to be set. After I got in the habit of releasing my finger quickly during each shot, I no longer have this problem.

The trigger pull on my gun is much heavier than my other shotguns. It is 8 lbs vs 5 or so pounds on my other shotguns. I'm thinking of having the trigger weight adjusted to ease it up a bit.

One thing that still seems awkward to me is unloading the shells. For example, if I want to switch out my shells, sometimes the action gets caught up ejecting or feeding though the shells. I end up having to move the shell in the action with my finger or bang the butt of the gun on the bottom of my boat. I've tried doing it quickly, slowly, and medium speed, and it just is a pain compared to my other shotguns.

Overall, Iike the SP-10. It shoots 1.5 oz of B shot with a better pattern than I've ever been able to get a 12 gauge to shoot. I now like the heft of the gun and it helps me smooth out my swing. I certainly wouldn't want to carry it in the field, but I hunt out of my boat, so the weight isn't a drawback for me. For a combination duck/goose gun, I think this gun is a good choice. The only thing I'd like more is if Remington produced a pump 10 gauge, although I might miss the creampuff recoil of the heavy auto.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:39 pm

What lenght BBL do you have on your SP-10 ?
War Wagon
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 pm

I have a 26" barrel. The only complaint I have is from hunting partners who say it is much louder than my 12 gauge. I now stock earplugs on my boat and everyone wears them, which we should have been doing anyway even with the 12 gauges. I'm not sure how much difference a longer barrel would make to the noise and help complete the burning of powder, but my SP-10 is already longer than my other shotguns and I'm not sure how I'd like that longer barrel.
Last edited by 1448jonboat on Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby 1448jonboat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Petr_Russia, here are a few pictures of the trigger assembly. I hope this helps.
Attachments
006.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
1448jonboat
hunter

Postby snapper » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:04 pm

solway gunner wrote:
jrp267 wrote:The gold 10 is a far suprior gun. Recoil doesnt even register, easy to clean and functions flawless if maintained. Like all semi auto's. Oh and it is still in production so parts are available.

:lol:
what do you do for an encore?
the sp10 was designed from the ithaca magten minus its faults. it operates with brute simplicity with few moving parts in all adverse weather conditions.,be it on a field or a saltmarsh firing mud encrusted shells they will not falter.they are not hull length fussy unlike that sack of s*it youve just mentioned ,nor do the cocking levers fly out whenever they feel like it or malfunction at a whim which is what the gold does for free.i can have my sp10 stripped to the bolt assembly ,cleaned and re built in 10easy minutes..
now ,take your fault ridden over engineered junk pile with you and close the door on your way out.

If they are sooo good then why did they stop producing them and still produce the hunks of sh*t? :huh:
I had a had 6 different 10 guages including the SP, it was a good gun, but I had less problems with my golds :beer:
snapper
hunter

Postby archerykid13 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:40 am

Has anyone shot the BPS 10 ga? How does that feel recoil wise compared to the Gold 10? I know it'll kick more because it's a pump but it's also a lb heavier. I'm just trying to figure out if finding a Gold 10 would be smarter than just picking up a BPS for cheaper.
archerykid13
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 am

snapper wrote:
solway gunner wrote:
jrp267 wrote:The gold 10 is a far suprior gun. Recoil doesnt even register, easy to clean and functions flawless if maintained. Like all semi auto's. Oh and it is still in production so parts are available.

:lol:
what do you do for an encore?
the sp10 was designed from the ithaca magten minus its faults. it operates with brute simplicity with few moving parts in all adverse weather conditions.,be it on a field or a saltmarsh firing mud encrusted shells they will not falter.they are not hull length fussy unlike that sack of s*it youve just mentioned ,nor do the cocking levers fly out whenever they feel like it or malfunction at a whim which is what the gold does for free.i can have my sp10 stripped to the bolt assembly ,cleaned and re built in 10easy minutes..
now ,take your fault ridden over engineered junk pile with you and close the door on your way out.

If they are sooo good then why did they stop producing them and still produce the hunks of sh*t? :huh:
I had a had 6 different 10 guages including the SP, it was a good gun, but I had less problems with my golds :beer:

Because the SP10 is expensive to produce and they wanted to not cannibalize from the VersaMax.

Also as much as I love the 10 gauge, we all must admit that it is a dying gauge. Not only has Remington stopped making them, so has everyone else except Browning. Heck, even the single shots are discontinued. Notice how most places don't even carry or have scaled back on 10 gauge ammo. Expect Browning to kill their models in the next few years. At least that is my bet.
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby NW Birdhunter » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:31 pm

The SP-10 is an awesome autoloader. They are very reliable and an excellent choice for large geese and late season mallards. Remington discontinued them because of high manufacturing costs. I have 2 SP-10's, both with 30" barrels and I will own them until they take me to the cemetary. :beer:
Forget the past, the past is gone forever, right now is where it's happening.
NW Birdhunter
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:12 pm

NW Birdhunter wrote: I will own them until they take me to the cemetary. :beer:
Me too, heck I might even be buried with mine. :hammer:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

Postby rcase1234 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Also as much as I love the 10 gauge, we all must admit that it is a dying gauge. Not only has Remington stopped making them, so has everyone else except Browning. Heck, even the single shots are discontinued. Notice how most places don't even carry or have scaled back on 10 gauge ammo. Expect Browning to kill their models in the next few years. At least that is my bet.[/quote]

It seems the 10 gauge is being replace by the 3.5" 12 gauge.
rcase1234
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:44 am

As much as I love my Benelli SBE. In my honest opinion I dont believe it holds a candle to my SP-10 as far as clean killing goes at "fringy" distances especially when we are talking about Canada geese and STEEL shot. Im talking about justtttt outside of comfortable decoying range. I like to get them in tight as much as the next guy. But if you have hunted long enough you know sometimes this perfect scenario doesnt always play out.

This is where Ive noticed my 10ga knocks them dead in the air and my 12 might have to follow up shot on a cripple with its head still up. The smooth swing of the 10 , hardly any recoil , and the powerful knockdown power will never be top-ed by a 12ga 3.5" . But thats my opinion.

This summer I will be on the lookout for a 30" SP10 in black synthetic or camo. Its a shot in the dark as those seem to be rare on the used market. But Id imagine if I find one this summer it will be hard for my SBE to maintain its #1 position.
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby Twisp » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:44 pm

The death of the big 10 has been greatly exaggerated, cuz heavy shot, which gave even the 3" 12 ga long range killing power on big geese, is vanishing due to prohibitive cost and availability. When my 2.5 cases of Fed Heavyweight are expended and I'm left with steel alone for big geese, I'm looking to the 10, not my Benelli 12s. There are just too many astute goose hunters that understand the virtues of the 10 vs. the 3.5" 12 for this cowboy to expect to hear the 10's death knell. Indeed, I expect the buzz of a modest resurgence. So gettem' while they're moribund, boys, before the price soars and Obama digs deeper into your pockets.
Twisp
hunter

Postby gearhead80 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 am

For the guys out there looking to buy a 10 ga. The Ithaca Mag 10 is essentially the same gun.. And way cheaper. There a few for sale on gun broker at times. My dad has owned one since new in the mid to late 70's and it has had so many shells through it we had to replace the shell stop and pin. Still works great to this day. I used it the previous 2 years for goose hunting and loved it easily over the 870 super mag I shot then. Spring of 12 I bought a Super Vinci and have loved it for everything until my wife got me my own Mag 10 for a wedding present. So I gave dads back to him and used mine this year without any issues. I know there are a lot of people out there that say they are junk too, so maybe we got lucky with 2 good ones. If you are worried about parts for them, that shell stop we put in my dads was for an sp-10. Had a few gunsmiths tell me they had a lot of interchangable parts since remington bought the rights to it when Ithaca went under..
If I ask a question, I don't want your opinion. I want facts.
Don't tell me something you think, tell me something you know.
It's easier to say I don't know, than make something up.
Although, being a forum the next guy will know more no matter what.
gearhead80
hunter

Postby Specklebelly » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:32 pm

gearhead80 wrote:my wife got me my own Mag 10 for a wedding present. .

You have you a good woman and you need to be thankful. :clapping: I got dishes for my wedding gift. :huh:
I love my SP-10
Specklebelly
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum