Barrel Rust HELP!

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Barrel Rust HELP!

Postby duckbuster06 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:01 pm

I recently got a brand new Benelli M2 at a very good price. The gun store is closing down and they reduced all inventory. However, when I cleaned the barrel of the gun, I noticed the rag had a sort of redish residue that came off the gun. Just looking at the gun one wouldn't be able to tell it was rusted. However, I'm assuming the stuff on the rag is a very fine film of rust. The gun was kept in an open space in the shop at room temperature. How can I solve this problem? Like I said, the rust isn't visible by the naked eye. Is it something to worry about and can it be fixed? Thanks guys!
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Barrel Rust HELP!

Postby Gooseboy » Mon May 15, 2006 8:13 pm

duckbuster06 wrote:I recently got a brand new Benelli M2 at a very good price. The gun store is closing down and they reduced all inventory. However, when I cleaned the barrel of the gun, I noticed the rag had a sort of redish residue that came off the gun. Just looking at the gun one wouldn't be able to tell it was rusted. However, I'm assuming the stuff on the rag is a very fine film of rust. The gun was kept in an open space in the shop at room temperature. How can I solve this problem? Like I said, the rust isn't visible by the naked eye. Is it something to worry about and can it be fixed? Thanks guys!

I would just clean it extremely well. Make sure you clean it after every hunt and wherever you keep it make sure it was one of those little dehumidifieng bags.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Smackaduck » Mon May 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Just clean it up real good. Put a coat of oil on it and let it sit. :withstupid: Clean it after every trip. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby franchi_612 » Mon May 15, 2006 8:47 pm

The first time I took my super black eagle out duck hunting it was rusted before I got back to the truck. I just cleaned it and oiled it and the next day same thing. I called benelli and they said that it was normal for a gun to rust and that they were not made to get wet. I don't know about everyone else but my duck guns get wet. None of my other guns rusts. I love the gun as far as how it shoots and all other functions so I ended up having my barrel and receiver coated by black ice coatings and now I have no more rust issues. Great guns just sad that you buy a $1100 gun and have to spend another $75.00 to make it right.
franchi_612
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Mon May 15, 2006 8:50 pm

no worries, any gun will do that if u let it sit long enuf. just clean it like u would any other gun. :salude:
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Duck Whittler » Mon May 15, 2006 10:08 pm

This may sound strange to some of you, but the best thing I have ever found to put on a gun to keep it from getting rusty is plain old vasiline. You just put a little bit on your hands and rub it all over the gun then take a rag and wipe it all off . Enough of it will stay on to protect the gun and unlike gun oil it will not come off when you handle the gun. You can be out in a real frog masher all day and your gun won't have a bit of rust on it. I have done this with my guns for over 50 years and have never had a bit of rust on a gun, and every one that I know who has tried it won't use anything else on there guns. May sound funny , but it works.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue May 16, 2006 7:19 pm

well, bear fat and bee's wax works wonders too......... if we're talkin home remedies.... :smile:
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed May 17, 2006 7:52 am

I think too many of you guys worry about rust and what your duck guns look like. I could care less if my whole gun rusted, after all blueing is just a form of rust. No one could live long enough to have a gun rust to the point of not being functional. In my opinion a gun that has rust on the exterior is a better duck gun , because rust dosn't shine and a tiny bit of oil on the gun will stop the rusting process and maintain that nice no shine rust color . If they didn't come up with the camo finish they have now my next duck gun was going to get sand blasted and put outside in the rain so it would rust. Rust is a form of protection, so let em rust its a great colour, better than shinny blueing for a duck gun. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Wed May 17, 2006 9:46 am

Jim,
Functionally I agree 100%. But I treat my gun like any of my possessions. I keep it clean and I expect it to look good. Hunting for me like most people is a hobby. I don't hunt because my family won't survive if I don't have a duck on the table for dinner. Therefore there is no reason I should abouse my gun.

If it were all about utility and not about looks then I see no use is spending big bucks on layout blinds, autoloaders, flocked fullbodys, or designer acrylic calls. You could do the same with a burlap sack, over-under, texas rags, and a $9.00 wal-mart special call.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed May 17, 2006 10:10 am

To me it's about killing ducks and a rusty gun will kill more ducks than a blued gun. Don't get me wrong I'm not into abusing my equipment , my rusty old half painted 870 woundn't have served me for 36 years with the replacement of only one fireing pin and still being used by my wife it I abused it. But to me a duck gun is just that a "Duck Gun" . They arn't supposed to be pretty. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed May 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Duckbuster,
Go out and find you some Break Free CLP. This stuff works wonders. It removes the ground in dirt that never comes off and it provides a great protective finish to all the metal parts. I still use the oil that came with my gun for lubrication/operation but the break free stuff is great for proctecting your gun and preventing rust. Several guys on the benelliusa forum, including myself swear by it.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Wed May 17, 2006 3:18 pm

Hey guys I really appreciate all the info. My gun is in matte black so you really can't see the rust at all. The only sign that it has rusted a little is when I oil the barrel and wipe it off with a rag. There is a sort of red dirt on the rag. I don't know how it rusted just sitting in the shop, but I'm not worried about it at all. Is there anything I can do to get this small layer of rust off without sanding or trying to refinish the gun? Thanks again for all the info, it's been very helpful.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Wed May 17, 2006 4:19 pm

I agree with Webfoot, a recent test showed out of almost every product Break Free CLP was the best at removing and keeping rust of your gun.

Jim I agree with you, but if he spent over 1000 on a gun, it definatly shouldnt rust, it should kill and cook your ducks for you.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Citori12 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:01 am

First of all if you have purchased a new gun and you clean it what your gonna find on 99% of the new guns out there is a reddish brownish color that comes off when you wipe them down. This is not rust!!! its a preservative that arms manufactures coat thier guns with so they may be shipped and stored without getting rusty or suseptable to moisture. The first thing you should do when you buy a new gun is follow the manufactures recommendations and clean it thoughly according to thier owners manual. You will find that reddish brown stuff everywhere. This is not a bad thing except after several rounds of use the reddish brown stuff can become sticky and cause jams and failures. Break Free CLP in my opinion is the best stuff to clean a gun with. So whenever someone buys a new gun, clean them before using them and you will not see the brownish reddish stuff.
Citori12

Postby duckbuster06 » Thu May 18, 2006 6:17 am

Thanks guys. The only place this stuff is on is the outside of the barrel? It only comes off when I put alittle bit of oil on the barrel and wipe it off. Is this rust or something else? Thanks!
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Citori12 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:36 am

all shotguns come new with this stuff its just rust preventative...I bet if you clean everything real well you will find it elsewhere in the gun as well.
Citori12

Return to Shotgun Forum