Remington Scatterguns ???

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Remington Scatterguns ???

Postby SwampMonster » Fri May 19, 2006 1:01 am

Anyone own and/or have any experience with the Remington SPR shotgun or the Sportsman version of the 1187? I need to pick up a cheaper model shotgun for a gift and I don't think the person the gift is for is a fan of Mossbergs or Charles Daly, so I'm kind of looking at those two Remi models. No Remi-bashing please. I have several Remingtons and love them all, but I have no knowledge at all about the SPR or the Sportsman. Thanks in advance for your opinions. -SM
SwampMonster
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Fri May 19, 2006 8:44 am

I have the SPR, but bought it while it was still being sold as a Baikal MP-153. As a cheap auto the gun has preformed flawlessly. The only gripe I have (and it's a small one) is the bluing will rust pretty easy. About as easily as the Parkerized coating on the Remingtons. As far as jams and the like I can fire anything from 2.75" 7/8 oz. loads to 3.5" with no problems. All it takes is a couple of seconds to pop the forearm off and adjust the gas setting.

I would feel comfortable in saying that it is the best deal I have ever gotten on a gun. I've never had a problem out of it and for $320 out the door it is one of if not my favorite gun I own. :thumbsup:
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:49 pm

My dad baught an SPR also back when it was ownded by Biakal. As far as I have heard they only changed the name on the gun, they are exactly the same. Couple things about it.

For the price it's hard to beat. My dad baught his for $325 new, I know remington jacked the price up a bit since. I think you can get them for around $425. Also what i really like about it is the adjustable gas chamber. Although it's a manual process and you have to strip the gun down, you can adjust it to eject the lightest target/dove loads and then tighten it back up to shoot heavy 3.5's From what I have heard and read it's an extremly relyable gun. My dad dosen't hunt much, and probably one has two boxes of shells thorugh it but it has held up well in some pretty crappy conditions.

On the flip side, it only comes in black synthetic, no camo. Also there is a sharp corner at the back of the shell ejection port. I sliced the inside knuckle of my index finger open several times pulling the bolt back. I have shot two different ones, and tried two others out in the store and they all had it. But since it's a gift you won't have to worry about that :toofunny: . I suppose you could file it down, but who wants to do that to a new gun. Also one quirky thing about it is you have to repress the lock button for each shell you load, you can't just press and hold it.

Since they aren't a fan of the Daly, which IMO is a very equivalent gun (I own one and for the price love it) I would say the SPR would be a fine buy
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby SwampMonster » Fri May 19, 2006 3:16 pm

Hey thanks for the input fellas I appreciate it. Sounds like the SPR autoloader is a decent shotgun. The price-tag is right too. Now, if only someone can fill me in on the Remington 1187 Sportsman. I'm kind of thinking it's like the Express version of the 870. Cheap recoil pad, no scrolling on the receiver, pressed bead on the barrel instead of a screw in bead, etc....

It's hard to tell from the limited details on the Remington site, and the small-sized pictures, but maybe someone here can tell me more. -SM
SwampMonster
hunter

Postby thaner » Fri May 19, 2006 7:44 pm

I have not seen the sportsman yet but from what I was told by a friend in the gun store business it is the replacement for the SPS. It has a few more features than the express, but it is not as refined and fit as good as the SPS 1187 and wingmaster. I think it's and express with sling studs, white bead, mid bead, and the extra chokes. I heard it was going to be available in a mid grade finish that is a little better than the express but not to the quality of the wingmaster or standard 1187.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby plainsman » Sun May 21, 2006 7:01 pm

The SPR is actually the Baikal MP153....a good solid gun.In my opinion, better than anything Rem. has made in a long time. Remington couldn't make an auto as rugged or reliable so they bought the rights to market Baikal guns and stamp their name on it. I guess they thought "If we can't beat 'em, we'll buy the rights" :umm:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Sun May 21, 2006 8:35 pm

Mine will be coming into its fifth season, and knock on wood no problems. As yeller said the gun is propably my favorite semi shotgun. It always works weather Im shooting 7/8 oz pmc loads, or 2 oz hevi shot. YOU MUST CLEAN IT AND OIL IT OR IT WILL RUST. That is the only flaw I can complain about. If you could get it dipped it may be better or reblue it. Any how it is a great gun and for the price Ive already surpassed my buddys Brand X Gold, and one of those Super Black Birds. :laughing:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm

I can't look it up right now as gun sites are blocked here at work, but I believe Remington is offering the SPR in camo now. I won't swear to it, but if you go to spartangunworks.com I believe it shows one.

As far as the 1187 goes I have heard way too many bad things about Remington's quality in recent years along with experiencing it first hand on an 870 I own.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon May 22, 2006 6:10 pm

http://www.remington.com/products/firea ... _specs.asp

It is gonna be available in camo now. I had not heard that. Looks like I may be getting a new gun this year. :yes:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby ksubigbuck » Wed May 24, 2006 2:29 am

Go with the SPR. Great gun for a great price. The Cabela's store in Kansas City has them for $279 with 4 choke tubes. For that price you might as well get one for youself too! They had three left about a month ago. I bought another one, so it's down to two now. :yes:
ksubigbuck
hunter

Postby BurnZ » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:47 pm

Well, i did some digging on this gun. And haven't found anyone who didn't really like it. I think I'm going to get one. I haven't actually seen looked at one yet, i hope it shoulders well. It sounds like a solid gun at price that can't be beat. I also found this video.

http://www.svmag.com/test_baikal.wmv

after watching that it defenatly looks like a good deal!! :yes:
BurnZ
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:47 pm

The sportsman shoots just as well as the more exspensive 11-87s its the exspress version of the 11-87. I dont really know much about the SPR the only thing i noticed is its heavy for a auto. I dont think they have even hit the shelves yet under the remington name ive looked. People that own it produced under the russian company how does it feel and point compared to the lighter autos? If they point good im gonna buy one. I had the money in my hand for a mossberge 935 but held off when i was told the SPR was coming out. I kinda have doubts about mosserberge i know people that hate them and love them.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:11 am

WIgunner30, I recall people mentioning for almost a year on different shotgun sites that they have had the SPR's in stores. You can even get them in camo now.

The gun is heavy, but that sure does help in reducing the recoil of those 3.5" shells. Also, one of my close hunting buddies hunts with a SX2. We hung both his SX2 and my MP-153 from a digital scale and my gun ways .5 lbs. less than his, so it's definitely not the heaviest gun out there.

Personally, I love the weight and they point great for me. To me they have the same fit as the 1100 I own. Call around different shops and see if they have any in stock. If they don't ask if they can order one. Touching one will tell you everything you need to know.

As an owner of a 935 and an MP-153 I definitely like the MP-153 better. The 935 has been a good gun except for one small problem I had with it not wanting to eject shells, but Mossberg remedied the problem in two weeks and it worked great now. The 935, however, feel like a 2x4 compared to the MP-153. Although it does throw one helluva pattern.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:21 am

I own an 11-87 sportsman and I love it. I have the slug gun with the cantilever barrel. I like it a lot. It is not as fancy as the premier, but I feel that it has the same quality. i have not owned the gun for very long, but have not had a ounce of trouble with it so far. A friend of mine has had this same gun for a few years and talks very highly of it. I shot his a number of times before I bought mice and I really liked it. So if you are thinking of picking one up, I don't think you will be disappointed one bit.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Return to Shotgun Forum